Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Gingerfreak

44th/36 Brigade Royal Field Artillery Project

rflory

Mumbles1: I am using the war diaries plus information I have accumulated over the years in a database.

Guest Neil Humphreys

I have just looked through this post and would love to know a little more on the history of 36th Brigade D Battery Howitzer. My Great uncle,Bombardier Walter Humphreys 45332 was part of D Battery in around 1916. He was one of 5 maybe 6 brothers who were all in WW1. Walter died of mustard gas in 1918 and is buried in Panteg cemetary with his father and brothers. If you have any information on him or his brothers I would appreciate it. Also where were D/36 stationed during the war.

Thanks in advance for you help.

battiscombe

D/36 was with 36th Brigade and hence with 2nd Division by-and-large.

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/order-of-battle-of-divisions/2nd-division/

I have nothing more on Bdr Humphreys except he died of wounds [gassed] in England just before the end of the war. .. I would suspect gassed in last months of ware in quite mobile warfare when casualties were quite high... and a few other deaths in D/36th from gas in the last days of the war ...

The Brigade war diary available for a few £ from National Archives will provide daily records of the Brigade as a whole, but little detail on casualties

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/british-army-war-diaries-1914-1922/

this blog relates to the experiences of an Australian officer in the Brigade which gives a good sense of what they went through.. well worth a read..

http://ewmanifold.blogspot.co.uk/

Edited by battiscombe
added info

Guest buckspal

I have been trying to research my Great Grandfather Corporal S R Burgess reg number 7710 who embarked with 44th Brigade RFA on 18th August 1914. Prior to that I think he was on the reserve list.

He was transferred to the ASC 23rd June 1916 and survived the war.

Any tips or help would be much appreciated.

Does he exist in your spreadsheet ?

I have some photographs I can upload if you are interested.

Thank you. 

Edited by buckspal

David Porter

Welcome to the Forum,

It does look like S R Burgess was a reservist as that number for regulars was issued in early 1895, mid 1900 and September 1914.

In the RFRA (Special Reserve) that number was issued in July or August 1908 and probably in Scotland.

If so, he may have had 6 months "Drill on Enlistment" before joining the reserve and then liable to be called up within 6 years of joining.

Guest buckspal
8 hours ago, David Porter said:

Welcome to the Forum,

It does look like S R Burgess was a reservist as that number for regulars was issued in early 1895, mid 1900 and September 1914.

In the RFRA (Special Reserve) that number was issued in July or August 1908 and probably in Scotland.

If so, he may have had 6 months "Drill on Enlistment" before joining the reserve and then liable to be called up within 6 years of joining.

Thank you for this I have checked, in the 1901 census he is listed as living at Ewshott, Crookham, Hampshire in The RA barracks hut, so probably joined as a regular mid 1900 when he would have been 19.

Interesting to find out and I am very proud.

RitchiebytheC

Hi there, these are my Great Great Uncles medals and I am trying to locate information regarding the reasons for his MM.

Can anyone help please..?

Sid MM 1.jpg

Sid MM 2.jpg

Sid MM and other medals.jpg

Anthonylindsay

Hi mate do you have any information on Albert Guy Chant 39580 gunner, driver he was from Stepney and served with the 44th brigade RFA

Michelle Young

Anthony, welcome to the forum. Probably best to keep the replies on the thread you have started about him in Soldiers to avoid confusion and repetition.

Michelle 

Anthonylindsay
27 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Anthony, welcome to the forum. Probably best to keep the replies on the thread you have started about him in Soldiers to avoid confusion and repetition.

Michelle 

Cheers thank you 

G. S. Stewart

My Grand Father; Gunner; James Stewart, Service # 72654. My Father told us some of his Fathers life. I am looking for more information on his Service to the Crown. I know he landed in France in, 1914 and that he was captured and escaped. He died in the London Blitz, during  WWII as an Auxiliary Bobby.

Edited by G. S. Stewart
Corret error!

David Porter

Welcome to the Forum G. S. Stewart,

All I can find so far are a Medal Index Card (MIC) and a Silver War Badge entry (SWB).

James enlisted on July 7, 1913 and when war broke out he was with 11th Brigade RFA in India.

They arrived with 3rd (Lahore) Indian Division at Marseilles on November 7, 1914.

The Brigade comprised 83rd, 84th and 85th batteries.

His capture date is given on his MIC as July 17, 1916

He was discharged on August 28, 1919 from No. 6 Reserve Brigade RFA (Luton) due to wounds.

He was entitled to the 1914 Star, British War and Victory Medals along with a Silver War Badge No. 454698.

Edited by David Porter
Correction

clk

Hi G.S.Stewart,

1 hour ago, David Porter said:

The Red Cross have some PoW records for James linked from the 'PA' numbers shown on this index card. I haven't been through them, but it seems that be was serving with the 83rd Battery.

Regards

Chris

G. S. Stewart

Thank you Both, I will still be here. I have in the family archive pictures from that time. Will post them when I get back to it!

G. S. Stewart

Hi Gentlemen! 

G. S. Stewart
On 17/02/2019 at 04:13, David Porter said:

Welcome to the Forum G. S. Stewart,

All I can find so far are a Medal Index Card (MIC) and a Silver War Badge entry (SWB).

James enlisted on July 7, 1913 and when war broke out he was with 11th Brigade RFA in India.

They arrived with 3rd (Lahore) Indian Division at Marseilles on November 7, 1914.

His capture date is given on his MIC as July 17, 1916

He was discharged on August 28, 1919 from No. 6 Reserve Brigade RFA (Luton) due to wounds.

He was entitled to the 1914 Star, British War and Victory Medals along with a Silver War Badge No. 454698.

We have his medals, one has a silver rose on the ribbon!

G. S. Stewart

How does a person go about finding out the full record of service? We know he enlisted in Edinburgh with the Royal Horse Artillery (Royal Field Artillery) and went to India in his youth, but little else!

Michelle Young

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/how-to-research-a-soldier/how-to-find-a-soldiers-service-record/

Alas,  a large proportion of service records were destroyed in the Blitz. 

My Great grandfather Ernest Mildenhall was 11th Bde RHA. His medal card shows an annotation in biro and a date stamp for a date when I think my father may have applied for his papers , as Ernest served post war I must have them, but I have no idea where they may be. I might be seeing my Uncle in the week, I will ask him.