Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Gingerfreak

44th/36 Brigade Royal Field Artillery Project

Gingerfreak

To all

I have started a research project (self imposed) on 44th Brigade RFA. Some of you (Battiscombe etc) may be aware that I have generated an excel spreadsheet for the Brigade. The original spreadsheet contained the information listed on the medal cards. I have carried on this work and the spreadsheet now contains information from other sources such as the London Gazette and the Silver Wound Badges & the CWGC website.

Up until recently the war diary in it's entirety was unavailable (i'm not prepared to pay over £500 for photocopying etc). I have written work such as The History of the 2nd Division, the History Of the Royal Artillery, Ypres, and other works. The diaries are now online I have now purchased the war diaries for both the 44th and the 36 Brigades and gleaned information from them. I'm happy to provide look ups if required.

As you can imagine a great deal of information has been gathered on the men of the batteries and it has made the one spreadsheet slightly cumbersome. I've decided to create a new workbook that has a main index and each man has his own individual page. the document will also list as many casualties as i can find. There will also be a timeline highlighting where the batteries were located in major battles. Once I've finished I will convert the documents into a PDF document.

The idea behind this project is to try and recreate a service history on the serviceman. Census records and pension records will be researched for next of kin and occupations. If there are any photographs available ( I have a few) they will also be published. A copy of the document will be sent to the Royal Artillery Museum and the National Archives for posterity. If personnel wish to assist me then once the document is ready a copy will be sent to them by email.

If anyone wishes to assist me or send me information (Photographs, newspaper cuttings etc) of a relative who served with the Brigade please feel free to contact me.

Cheers

Ginge

GraemeClarke

Morning Ginge

I'm afraid this ask is a one-way street as I have absolutely no information on this man.

His is from Willenhall and is NOT, as far as I can see, on any local memorials.

“D” Battery, 36th Brigade, Royal Field Artillery

KiA on Monday 22 October 1917

Would you be able to furnish anything on him at all and (heres hoping) post the War Diary for this date.

Many thanks

Graeme

Gingerfreak

I need a name!

GraemeClarke

DoHHhhhhhhhhh

I really must stop using 'cut and paste'

Gunner 134526 Joseph SMITH

Regards,

Graeme

battiscombe

I have the names 1,249 men who served in 36th Brigade [some known to have come from 44th Brigade]. Ginge if you have queries for men from 44th I can see if i have anything on them.

Nothing more on the circumstances of Joseph Smiths death I am afraid. 48, 71 and D Batteries had moved to wagon lines at Reigersburg on 20th... This was a period of much shelling .. Lt Sherman of 15th Bty being killed and 48th Bty had 5 guns put out of action on the 20th; on 21st it looks to be D Bty caught it from gas shells as 2Lt Harold Greatwood of D Bty was killed that day. "St Julien. Battery bombarded with gas shell. 2Lt Greatwood killed"

you can find private diary entries for an officer in 48th Bty here http://ewmanifold.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/diary-entry-21st-october-1917.html

battiscombe

Ginge - you may wish to check the RA commander 2nd Division records as well as they have mentions of disciplinary matters and some promotions in the daily Divisional RA orders. mainly 1915- 1916 ones... Not expensive - LOTS of maps and tedious admin matters.. but mcuh of interest .... e.g. courtsmartials ID a fair number of men by battery.. I have copies of most now.. if you can wait I can have a trawl through for 44th Brigade references and post them.. such as

Jan 1 1916.. leave allotments.. 16 men of 44th Bde for 5th Jan..

Jan 3. notice of FGCM for 81196 Driver S Spencer 56th Bty

Boxing results for 2nd Division RA.. winner of 'Middleweights' Dr Culverhouse 56th Bty.. to go forward to Divisional contest...

etc etc

Gingerfreak

I've read the war diary for 36th Brigade. The Officer who wrote the diary wasn't as diligent with details as his predecessors and there is little regarding other ranks.

The battery was located at St Julien near Ypres.

20 Oct 1917 Battery position heavily shelled. Lt Sherman, 15 Bty killed. 48th Btty have 5 guns put out of action.

21 Oct 1917 Battery Bombarded with gas shells. 2Lt Greatwood killed.

22 Oct 1917 18 Div attack on our left and take Brewery POLECHAPPELLE + several farms.

23 Oct 1917 Quiet Day by comparison

24 Oct 1917 Quiet Day as for enemy shelling. We open 48 hour bombardment. Rumours (unfounded as usual) started of Bosch retirement.

I'm working through the service numbers for the RFA. I've not reached your man's number yet but i think he enlisted mid to late 1915. I'll confirm it in a few days. I've added him to my database.

Gingerfreak

Battiscombe

Cheers for the help. I'll go through the stuff you've listed as it sounds really interesting. I've seen a photograph on ebay of a football team belonging to 36 Brigade and one of the men is in a photograph i have. My Great grandfather was in the squad and the photo was taken at Bordon. I thought that my relative was sent to Bordon to the riding school to learn his trade of Driver. i was wrong on that. It looks like he was posted to 44 from 36 before the war started.

battiscombe

I have these men as having served in D/36th Bty [mainly casualties..] - some came from 44th Brigade, but .. this includes replacements who joined in 1917-18. I am very interested to hear about the man in the football team photo. which one?. Can you clarify.. is your GF in the photo? perhaps send me a personal message on this?

Gunner John Amooty 187477

Corporal William H Annalls 72351

Gunner Richard Harry Bray L/21138

Gunner Thomas Bryce 109397

Corporal William Arthur Caley MM 24182

Gunner Jerry (Jeremiah) Casey 74998

Driver Walter Alfred Catchpole 10323

Gunner William Chisholm 8205

2Lt Henry Macpherson Fleming

Farrier Staff Serjeant Arthur Kelsey 29545

Captain Marshall

Captain Herbert William Stubbs

Lt John Mildred Sanger

Gunner John Smith 35495

BQMS J W? Smith ?

2Lt? Walker

Gunner Richard Allott 149205

a/Bdr Arthur James Ansell 78707

Gunner Charles Arthur Anstead 121630

Gunner John Ash 145351

Gunner George Attfield 150516

Gunner Alfred William Ballard 77791

Gunner George Bayley 87606

Driver Henry G Bolton 68268

Sergeant Albert George Branch 54883

Gunner Samuel John Brereton 671737

2Lt Charles Allen Buckmaster

Gunner Alfred John Cathie 76496

Gunner William George Chandler 94983

Bdr Arthur Clarkson 31745

Gunner George Collard 2407

Corporal Henry Davey 105136

Sergeant Thomas Day 147116

Trumpeter Clarence Victor Dupre 940141

Driver James Gates 39177

Gunner Joseph William Gilkerson 126840

2Lt Harold Greatwood (SR)

2Lt Thomas James Stewart Hawtayne SR

Lt (a/Capt) Henry Rae Hebert MC (TF)

Gunner Jonathan Harold Howlett 83105

Bombardier Walter Humphreys 45332

Bombardier Henry Kavanagh MM L/20135

Driver Thomas King 73784

Gunner James Knott/Knox 770710/2413

Major Frederick Leighton Victor Mills

Gunner James Mitchell 665643

Gunner Sidney Naylor 680680

2lt Alfred Tom Pearce MC SR

Sergeant (Ralph George?) Poulton 69670?

Gunner R Richardson 731451

Serjeant William Ruff 92374

Gunner George Sayell 106626

Gunner John Shepherd 12290

Lt Arthur Jackson? Shipley

Gunner Joseph Smith 134526

Lt Thomas Carter Tucker SR

BSM Charles Turner DCM 23301

Farrier Sgt Herbert Thomas Willimott 6155

Gunner John Edward Hudson 97487

Fitter Henry Albert Smith 36513

Gunner Harold Ward 31528

Driver Thomas Eden 16245

GraemeClarke

Morning

Many thanks to both of you for the most excellent information you've provided and for taking the time and trouble to do so,

Cheers,

Graeme

Gingerfreak

Battiscombe, you cant receive any new pm's email me on mine, gingerfreak35@hotmail.com instead

Rod Poustie

Ginge

My grandfather John George Lawrence RFA 6665 served with 44th Bde, 60th Battery from March - Jun 1915 when 60th Battery transferred to the Meerut Division. I have added his service history to the Lives of the First World War site here:- https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/2322352. Do you have him on your list?

As a beta tester I have also created some Communities on that site with the idea of grouping men who served in the same Unit - though there is much discussion on their feedback page about the current initention to make the ability to create and manage communities chargeable.

I am one of the lucky ones I think because my grandfather's service history has survived. My other thought about communities is that others who are researching the same units as those my grandfather served in and do not have a service history would, at the least, be able to deduce where they were and possibly what they were doing.

Applemany

Hello Ginge,

I wonder if you can help me, please?

My Great Aunt married William Henry Brookes in 1906. (Birth: 1885 Place: Murree, West Bengal, India Murree is the post-town for Kashmir.)

They returned to India where he had been a soldier and his father (also a William Henry Brookes - Mother Elizabeth) too.

I understood that my Great Uncle served:

1899-1902 (aged 15-18) Served in South African War with 44th Battery**, RFA and took part in operations in Cape Colony (Queenís South Africa Medal with clasp: Cape Colony; Kingís South Africa Medal with two clasps) but I have found no medal card evidencing that.

He and his Battery returned to UK and was in Bordon in 1911 - 127th Battery. (Regular) RHA at Shornecliffe, Nr Folkestone 1914 in the XXIX Brigade, 4th Division.

In 1917 he was transferred to 57 Div 286 Brigade RFA TF (2/II West Lancs) aka The 57th (2nd West Lancashire) Division

I know that he died: 29 Jun 1942 Selly Oak Hospital, Raddlebarn Road, Birmigham
.......................Burial: 1942 Place: HARBORNE (ST. PETER) CHURCHYARD

Occupation at D of D: Chief Recruiting Officer, Midland Division. Army

His son William Frederick Pentland Brookes (named for his then famous but imprisoned in Ruheleben, Berlin) brother in law) was born in India in 1908 as was his daughter a year later.

WFP Brookes followed him in to the Artillery in WW2 and was a Capt (885759 Attestartion for Service 24th March 1940???) and married a Pamela Randall in Tobruk at the end of the War. I have been unable to find their son Nigel but thats not my current concern.

I am looking for anything more i can find about W H Bs service - I have his citations in the Gazette and Edinburgh Gazette but hoped to find mention in War Diaries - no success so far. And of his fathers service in India - I have his Dad as a Sgt and I have him as Officiating Barrackmaster at Peshaware in 1884. I believe his wife was an Elizabeth Carson but I am not certain and have no detials of his granparents I can rely upon.

I dont mind doing the work but need any guidance you can offer me - your mention of the 44th Battery tweaked my interest!

Thanks

Colin

rflory

44th Brigade, RFA officers

Arbuthnot, Col D

Avery, 2Lt E V

Bailey, LCol F G G

Baillie, 2Lt J A

Barker, 2Lt H R

Baxter, 2Lt

Beckett, Maj C T, MC

Begg, 2Lt J

Bell, Lt J D

Bew, Lt P

Bill, 2Lt J D

Blackburn, Cpt E L

Brown, Lt A C

Brown, 2Lt H

Buckmaster, 2Lt Charles Allen

Burtenshaw, 2Lt F A

Carden, Cpt D A

Campbell, Capt D S

Collender, Cpt L A

Collett, Lt F S

Colliver, Lt

Cotton, 2Lt A

Courage, Cpt H E

Destron, LCol F P J

East, Lt G D W

Elliott, Lt L A L

Fitspatrick, Maj A H P

Fleming, 2Lt Henry Macpherson

Frost, Lt A B

Gaskill, Maj R H

Goodsall, Maj J G

Greatwood, 2Lt Harold

Hannaford, 2Lt G T

Hargreaves, Cpt J

Harper, LCol

Harvey, Cpt L M

Hawtayne, 2Lt Thomas James Stewart

Healy, 2Lt A W

Hebert, Lt (a/Capt) Henry Rae

Higgin, Maj R G

Houghton, 2Lt J H

Howell, Lt J L

Huggins, 2Lt E S C

Huston, Lt James

Hyde, 2Lt G L G

Jack, T A

Johnston, Cpt W

Jones, Cpt A V D

Jones, 2Lt W E

Kamm, 2Lt G E

Kater, 2Lt D B

Knivett, Cpt

Liddace, 2Lt L J

Lloyd, 2Lt E O

Maguire, 2Lt R A J

Marshall, Capt

Miles, Cpt C F

Miller, 2Lt L C

Mills, Major Frederick Leighton Victor

Mobbs, 2Lt H J

Munro, 2Lt P S S

Myles, 2Lt J

Patterson, 2Lt H G

Pearce, 2Lt Alfred Tom, MC

Price, 2Lt C F J

Miller, Cpt G R

Myles, 2Lt J

Naylor,, Lt J H

Neville, Cpt G C

Parham, Lt H J,

Patterson, 2Lt H G

Price, 2Lt C F J

Reeve, 2Lt R R

Robertson, LCol C C

Russell, Cpt D G, MC

Sanger, Lt John Mildred

Sharland, Lt E H

Shipley, Lt Arthur Jackson

Siddell, 2Lt R J

Smith, 2Lt J S

Stuart, Maj W

Stubbs, Capt Herbert William

Thorburn, Lt A D

Thursby, Cpt W

Todd, 2Lt J H

Threadgold, 2Lt G V

Tucker, Lt Thomas Carter

Turner, 2Lt E F

Wakelam, Lt H B T

Walker, 2Lt

Walsh, 2Lt F

Warne, Lt W M

Westerton, 2Lt M J

Wilson, 2Lt J R H

Wood, Lt H P

Woodcock, 2Lt E A C

rflory

Major William Henry Brookes, RFA

Born on 6 June 1884

In the ranks for 16 years and 117 days

Served as a Trumpeter with 44th Battery, RFA during the South African War and received the Queen's South Africa Medal with clasp Cape Colony and the King's South Africa Medal with two clasps. (WO 100/141)

Prior to the war he was serving with 127th Battery, 29th Brigade, RFA at Shorncliffe

Went to France on 1 September 1914 as Battery Sergeant Major in 24th Brigade, RFA

returned to the UK on 14 March 1916

Commissioned 2nd Lieut., RFA, for service in the field on 1 October 1914

Posted to 41st Brigade Ammunition Column, RFA after being commissioned.

On 4 December 1941 he joined 56th Battery, 44th Brigade, RFA and served with it until 14 March 1916.

Military Cross (London Gasette of 14 January 1916) for service with 56th Battery, 44th Brigade, RFA

Lieut., RFA, 9 June 1915

Mentioned in Despatches, London Gazette of 1 January 1916

Temp. Capt, RFA, 5 March 1916

Returned to France and Flanders on 8 February 1917 where he served with 286th Brigade, RFA

Appointed Adjutant, 286th Brigade, RFA on 20 February 1917 at Estairs.

On 13 March 1917 he became Officer Commanding, A Battery, 286th Brigade, RFA

Bar to the Military Cross (London Gasette of 26 November 1917; citation 6 April 1918) for service with 286th Brigade, RFA "For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. He brought two guns into action under exceedingly difficult conditions, and carried out his allotted task during an attack. On the following day, although wounded, he moved his battery forward into action over very bad ground in support of an attack. Although suffering heavy casualties he inspired his men with confidence by his personal example."

Mentioned in Despatches, London Gazette of 14 December 1917

Acting Major, RFA from 13 March 1917 to 17 June 1919

Twice wounded in action

French Croix de Guerre, London Gasette of 15 December 1919

Captain, RFA on 17 October 1920

From July 1920 to 4 February 1921 served with Depot, RFA at Woolwich

From 5 November 1921 to 4 July 1922 he was Adjutant, II Reserve Brigade, RFA at Preston

Served as Battery Captain, 46th Battery, X Field Brigade, RFA at Sheffield from 5 July 1922 to 3 February 1924

Posted as Adjutant, X Field Brigade, RA at Newcastle-on-Tyne from 4 February 1924 to 3 February 1927

From 4 February 1927 to 1930 he was posted as a Captain to Depot Brigade, RA at Woolwich

Served as Battery Captain, 14 (Howitzer) Battery, 4 Medium Brigade, RA at Delhi from 1930 to 22 March 1932

Brevet Major, RFA on 1 January 1932

Major, RA, 14 May 1934

From 23 March 1932 to 6 June 1934 he served as Assistant Inspector of Ammunition, Indian Army Ordnance Corps at Kirkee

Retired on retired pay as Major on 6 June 1934

Sources: 143 (Tombs's Troop) Battery, Royal Artillery - A Short History; Medal Roll for the Queen's South Africa Medal, 1899-1902 (WO 100/141); War Diary of 44 Brigade, RFA (WO 95/1327); War Diary of 41 Brigade, RFA (WO 95/1326); War Diary of 286 Brigade, RFA (WO 95/2971); various issues of the Royal Regiment of Artillery Seniority and Distribution List; various Monthly Army Lists and Quarterly Army Lists; Services of Miliitary Officers, 1920).

Gingerfreak

To all, I have upgraded my computer & i'm transfering my data between the two. I will answer your questions as soon as everything is sorted out. (A few days)

David Eyre

Hi, has anyone got any information/movements regarding the 176 Brigade (Howitzer) RFA, I think it may have merged with the 165th at some point? Also any information regarding L39561 Gnr Ralph Theodore Reffin (same brigade).

Many thanks in advance.

David

battiscombe

you might wish to post this separately, as a different Brigade.. 176th was raised in Leicester, June 1915 [locally raised hence L/prefix to numbers] .. went to france Jan 1916, and broken up 28 August 1916, its men going to 152nd and 160th Brigades

David Eyre

OK thanks battiscombe.

Adam Llewellyn

Hello Ginge,

The following men are listed on the Leicestershire Absent Voters list as serving with the 44th Brigade.

166517 Dvr. Elisha William White, A/44th Bde, 21, beacon Road, Loughborough

166516 Dvr. John Henry Blackwell, A/44th Bde, 16, Paget Street, Loughborough

Gnr. John James Coulson, 44th Bde, Main Street, Illston On The Hill

251123 Dvr. Edward Cyril Cowdell, 425/44th N Bde, Cartref, Goodes Lane, Syston

I can also look for individual Battery's if that's of any use to you?

Regards,

Llew.

Gingerfreak

Llew

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner but having just moved house, new job, new child to my brood, Uni studies etc this research has taken a back seat. Any additional info will be greatly received.

Mumbles1

44th Brigade, RFA officers

Arbuthnot, Col D

Avery, 2Lt E V

Bailey, LCol F G G

Baillie, 2Lt J A

Barker, 2Lt H R

Baxter, 2Lt

Beckett, Maj C T, MC

Begg, 2Lt J

Bell, Lt J D

Bew, Lt P

Bill, 2Lt J D

Blackburn, Cpt E L

Brown, Lt A C

Brown, 2Lt H

Buckmaster, 2Lt Charles Allen

Burtenshaw, 2Lt F A

Carden, Cpt D A

Campbell, Capt D S

Collender, Cpt L A

Collett, Lt F S

Colliver, Lt

Cotton, 2Lt A

Courage, Cpt H E

Destron, LCol F P J

East, Lt G D W

Elliott, Lt L A L

Fitspatrick, Maj A H P

Fleming, 2Lt Henry Macpherson

Frost, Lt A B

Gaskill, Maj R H

Goodsall, Maj J G

Greatwood, 2Lt Harold

Hannaford, 2Lt G T

Hargreaves, Cpt J

Harper, LCol

Harvey, Cpt L M

Hawtayne, 2Lt Thomas James Stewart

Healy, 2Lt A W

Hebert, Lt (a/Capt) Henry Rae

Higgin, Maj R G

Houghton, 2Lt J H

Howell, Lt J L

Huggins, 2Lt E S C

Huston, Lt James

Hyde, 2Lt G L G

Jack, T A

Johnston, Cpt W

Jones, Cpt A V D

Jones, 2Lt W E

Kamm, 2Lt G E

Kater, 2Lt D B

Knivett, Cpt

Liddace, 2Lt L J

Lloyd, 2Lt E O

Maguire, 2Lt R A J

Marshall, Capt

Miles, Cpt C F

Miller, 2Lt L C

Mobbs, 2Lt H J

Munro, 2Lt P S S

Myles, 2Lt J

Patterson, 2Lt H G

Price, 2Lt C F J

Miller, Cpt G R

Myles, 2Lt J

Naylor,, Lt J H

Neville, Cpt G C

Parham, Lt H J,

Patterson, 2Lt H G

Price, 2Lt C F J

Reeve, 2Lt R R

Robertson, LCol C C

Russell, Cpt D G, MC

Sanger, Lt John Mildred

Sharland, Lt E H

Shipley, Lt Arthur Jackson

Siddell, 2Lt R J

Smith, 2Lt J S

Stuart, Maj W

Stubbs, Capt Herbert William

Thorburn, Lt A D

Thursby, Cpt W

Todd, 2Lt J H

Threadgold, 2Lt G V

Tucker, Lt Thomas Carter

Turner, 2Lt E F

Wakelam, Lt H B T

Walker, 2Lt

Walsh, 2Lt F

Warne, Lt W M

Westerton, 2Lt M J

Wilson, 2Lt J R H

Wood, Lt H P

Woodcock, 2Lt E A C

rflory

Would you have a complete officer list for 281 and 291 Brigades

Many thanks in advance

Rob

rflory

I have not yet gotten to those brigades. Dick Flory

Mumbles1

Dick

Thanks for your quick response. What source/procedure do you go through?

Rob

nickdee

Interested in the james Mitchell mentioned? Any more info on this chap?

I am currently researching a james Mitchell, gunner in RA...

Completely come to a standstill research wise....

Sooooo frustrating