Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Captain Tidwell (?) mixed-race officer

Tom Morgan

A plea for help. I have read recently about a mixed-race officer called (if memory serves) Tidewell. I have used the forum's search facility but can't find any reference. Does anyone recall seeing anything of this on the forum? If so, could you point me to the relevant thread?

Tom

Yes other officers are mentioned on the forum in regards to being "non-white" officers(indeed ORs) and Tull is not uniquie. There was officers from west indies etc, but when signing paperwork the question "are you white"(paraphrasing) a lot of officers that are more dak skinned would say yes. Purely on the basis of a white father. Purely a sign of the time, and there are a lot more non white officers than we think.

No Tidewell or Tidwell in WO339 or 374 or military results on Ancestry

5 Tidswell,s

WO 339/120178 TIDSWELL C
WO 339/138414 TIDSWELL S
WO 339/13996 Lieutenant William Francis Howard TIDSWELL. Royal Field Artillery.
WO 339/81930 Lieutenant Thomas Alfred TIDSWELL Royal Field Artillery.
WO 339/56599 2/Lieutenant Francis Howard TIDSWELL The King's Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment).
and in a few extras in WO 338

post-28237-0-48513900-1393730063_thumb.p

Thanks, all, for your help with this. I'll have to work back through my notes and see where I got the name "Tidewell" from. It's been a help to find that no-one else can recall the name coming up in any previous thread. I think I must have made a mistake somewhere.

Tom

Bemand is the other name that's been mentioned on the forum before I think http://greatwarlondon.wordpress.com/2013/10/24/west-indians-in-britains-great-war-army/

Thanks, David. I remember reading about the Bemand brothers here, and I'm pretty sure they're the ones I'm thinking of. But a friend is sure that when I told him about having heard of another mixed-race officer, I used the name Tidewell, though the name doesn't ring any bells with me.

Tom