Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Valay, France?

Sureepia

My Great Aunt's middle name is Valay. She was born in April 1915 and family legend has it that she got the name after the cemetery in France where her uncle was buried. But Valay is a small town in Eastern France, between Dijon and Besancon, and I can find no record of any action here.

Has anyone heard of this place before? He must have died and been buried there between the start of WW1 and April 1915.

Thanks

Do you have her Uncle's name etc. that might help to trace the cemetery.

There are several cemetery with the suffix '-Val' -French for ? - schoolboy French not up to it!

Dave

Possibly a shortened form of 'Valee' as in 'Val d'Isere' ?

Thank you so much. I think Edwin might be right, as the family always pronounced the name as Vailley and a mis-spelling is more than possible. Amazing. I know my great great uncle's surname but not his first name. But you guys have been so brilliant, thank you. I can now incorporate this into my aunt's Eulogy, in a fortnight. Wonderful.

I have, and there's no-one with my Aunt's family name buried there. I'm wondering if he was a close family friend and not an uncle. Vailly must be the cemetary. This is going to be yet another long and circuitous trail, I fear. Good luck in your research.