Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

EARLY RFC MEMBER

MattyBoy

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, so soft pedal please!

I'm looking for career info on Capt George William Patrick Dawes.

I know a few bits and pieces:-

Died 17th March 1960 aged eighty.

Served in Boer War, WW1 & WW2, retiring in 1946 aged sixty-six as a Wing Commander. Awarded DSO, AFC, Legion d'Honnuer etc.

Gained RAeC license no. 17 on 26th July 1910.

Can anyone add anything to this? Any information greatly welcome.

Thanks.

Matt.

Awarded DSO, AFC, Legion d'Honnuer etc.

I wonder if he was purely a reconnaissance or bomber pilot as he is not mentioned in ABOVE THE TRENCHES (criteria for entry was 5 kills).

Awarded DSO, AFC, Legion d'Honnuer etc.

I wonder if he was purely a reconnaissance or bomber pilot as he is not mentioned in ABOVE THE TRENCHES (criteria for entry was 5 kills).

I really must catologue what books I have. Neither is he in ABOVE THE WAR FRONTS, which lists reconnaissance and bomber pilots that had a certain amount of kills (not sure of the criteria).

I know that he definately wasn't an ace. This was because he became a Squadron Commander sometime in 1915 (don't know which squadron).

I think they had orders to stay 'grounded.'

He may have done some early recon sorties, though. He might have been among the first group of pilots who flew to France at the outbreak of war.

I think he became a Colonel (wing commander) in 1916-1917 ?

Neither is he mentioned in the indexes of the three editions of RFC/RAF communiques - which surprises me due to the DSO.

Sorry but I think you need an RFC expert on this (I am a complete novice). I am sure one will come along soon.

Guest Pete Wood

In 1910(?)... January Captain G.W.P. Dawes and J.V. Neale both crash when making the first aeroplane flights in Egypt in their Blériot monoplanes.

Capt. G. W. P. Dawes becomes the first British Army officer to be awarded an aviator’s certificate in England, when he qualifies for certificate no.17 on a Humber Monoplane at Wolverhampton, England.

Major Dawes took over command of 11 Squadron (from Mjr UJD Burke) on 8th March 1915. Replaced by Major TOB Hubbard on 10th December 1915.

Matt

As a pioneer of British military aviation, G W P Dawes is mentioned a number of times in 'The War in the Air':

In February 1913 Capt Dawes, in a Maurice Farman, was one of five officers to fly from Farnborough to No 2 Sqn's new base at Montrose in Scotland.

Capt Dawes was a Flight Commander in No 2 Sqn when it flew to France in August 1914. On 22 August he was flying as observer with Major Longcroft in a BE2a, when the first German aicraft seen in the War, an Albatros biplane, was encountered over the RFC aerodrome at Maubeuge.

As RT said, Major Dawes commanded No 11 Sqn in France to December 1915.

On 20 September 1916 Lt Col Dawes was appointed as commander of the 16th Wing RFC on the Macedonian Front. The Wing comprised No 47 Sqn, No 17 Balloon Section and an Aircraft Park. On 25 March 1917 Lt Col Dawes attempted to visit the Wing Commander at Mudros, and was posted missing after suffering engine failure and having to make a forced landing in a remote spot. He was eventually located by an air search and then brought back to Salonika by destroyer on 27 March.

On 19 June 1918 Lt Col Dawes handed over command of the 16th Wing RAF to Lt Col G E Todd and returned to Home Establishment.

I hope that this is useful.

Gareth

George Dawes was indeed in 2 Sqn, based pre-war in Montrose. In May 1914 they took part in the Army manouvres on Salisbury Plain, a two-week journey that involved a stop-over in Northampton, where many of the girls fell for the dashing Captain, who was secretly engaged, as his fiancées parents disapproved his of his dangerous profession.

I have a bad photo somewhere.

Kate

Is it possible to get a copy of a photo of Capt DAWES, I would like to get a copy for the Regimental Museum Archives. He was a Royal Berkshireman and the Museum ,The Wardrobe, Salisbury, Wiltshire is working very hard at this moment in time to get as many images of its Soldiers recorded as possible

Many Thanks

MAC

Hi everyone,

Thanks very much for all your help.

Kate, I would also like to obtain a copy of the photo, if you can find it. Please let me know if this is possible.

Thanks again.

Matt.

OK chaps, here is Capt George Dawes (on the right) pictured with Lt Mansfield of No 2 Sqn RFC.

Mac and Matty, I'll try to enhance this for your files.

post-25-1098210732.jpg

Kate

Just to fill in a gap in the story:

Lt William H C Mansfield, formerly with the Shropshire Light Infantry, served in No 2 Sqn RFC and flew to France with them on 13 August 1914. On 19 August he took part in the first RFC aerial reconnaisance missions. Lt Mansfield was involved in forcing down a German aeroplane on 25 August; along with Lt H D Harvey-Kelly, he landed nearby and chased the German crew on foot, but didn't catch them.

After returning to the UK, on 19 January 1915 he flew Vickers FB 5 1617 of No 7 Sqn, with QMS H E Chaney as observer, from Joyce Green in an effort to locate and fight a Zeppelin. The airmen were shot at by British anti-aircraft fire, then became lost before being injured in a heavy landing due to an engine failure.

By June 1916 Major Mansfield was the commander of No 39 (Home Defence) Squadron. He later commanded No 20 Sqn on the Western Front. A photograph of the man is below.

After the Armistice, Lt Col Mansfield returned to his regiment.

I hope this is interesting.

Gareth

post-25-1098224175.jpg

Dear Kate

Many thanks for that we now know what Capt Dawes looked like, we are working on the photographic history of the Regiment and I very much see him as a candiate to be included

Cheers

MAC

Hi folks.

GWP Dawes became known to the army in Salonika as 'Uncle George's Pilot', an oblique reference to Lt Gen George Milne, who like Dawes (comdg 16 Wing RFC) to fly him round.

Dawes spent the Second World War in charge of a convalescent hospital for Bomber Command aircrew in some golf clubhouse, but I forget where.

Check out 'Over the Balkans and South Russia' by HA Jones. It has several mentions of him. I believe there is an obituary and photo in 'The Mosquito' for 1960, written by one of his Salonika officers.

Hope this helps

Simon Moody

• 5 weeks later...

I have just realised that Marvin L. Skelton has written an article for Cross & Cockade entitled 'Capt Dawes and 2 Squadron prepare for war'.

It is in Volume 23 (1992), Number 4.

Does anyone out there have a copy and if so, is there any chance I could obtain a copy?

Thanks in advance.

I'll subscribe to them at some point, I think.

Matt.

In February 1913 Capt Dawes, in a Maurice Farman, was one of five officers to fly from Farnborough to No 2 Sqn's new base at Montrose in Scotland. 

Matt, Gareth, et al

Coincidence – the pic below is in a book which I bought last week and I was just about to ask the GWF for further info on Capt Dawes – Thanks for all the gen already supplied

It shows Captain Dawes’ bi-plane at Otterburn Hall, Northumberland, in October 1913. The caption explains that he was flying the 'Maurice Farnham' (sic) from York to Montrose and en route he dropped in to call on his aunt, Lady Morrison-Bell, who had recently purchased the Hall. It is also explains that before he resumed his journey the plane “was proudly displayed to the local people. This was the first recorded landing and take-off by an aircraft in the Rede valley.”

[from ‘Images of England – Bellingham, North Tynedale and Redesdale’ by Ian Roberts & Moira West, 1998/2004, Tempus Publishing Ltd.]

Regards

Michael D.R.

post-25-1101625392.jpg