Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Some C.E.F. caps in my collection...

Ledfut

Assuming that there are other military cap collectors out there besides myself, I thought I would post a few pictures of some of my WW1 caps.

As I am sure most of you are well aware, finding original badged WW1 caps with provenance is both a very difficult and costly venture. I have one cap in my collection - to the 43rd Battalion CEF - which I consider to be 100% complete and original. The other caps - despite all still being original WW1 caps - were either acquired "incomplete" or without provenance (missing pieces, non-original badge, etc.). Not only are they easier to find in this state, but they are considerably more affordable. In these cases, I have either restored the cap (using original pieces) or replaced the badge (using the original lug holes) for display purposes. I do not pretend or try to suggest that these caps are 100% authentic, but they display very nicely in my personal office/library/"museum" and help me to pay tribute to a number of Manitoba Battalions of the CEF.

Should I ever decide to part with any of these I would either give full disclosure as to any additions or changes made, or I would remove the "display" badge and sell the cap separately so as not to mislead anyone. It is not an issue at this point as the caps are a prized part of my collection and I have no intention of parting with them anytime soon.

Craig

1st Canadian Mounted Rifles:

1CMR_zps70422faa.jpg

8th Battalion CEF ("Little Black Devils"):

8th_zpsead8a820.jpg

43rd Battalion CEF (Cameron Highlanders of Canada):

43rd_zps82c85243.jpg

Hello Craig, welcome to the forum,

Nice looking caps and display, I wouldn't worry too much about provenance although its nice to have, but who knows how many times badges may have been changed both during the war and since, even using the same holes. I have a 1917 OR's cap with a Royal Fusiliers badge, has it always been with the cap? it's a 50/50 chance but I am happy with what's on it as it came to me.

khaki

Very impressive collection, many thanks for sharing........... :thumbsup: KB

Nice items. Thanks for showing.

TT

Those are great! You are really making me want to branch out and start collecting uniforms from something other than the US.

Mike

Lovely caps and well displayed. Thanks for showing. Headgear is my original passion with regard to collecting.

TT

Excellent collection of caps and very well presented.

Really good looking caps nicely displayed and photographed. Thank you for sharing. My grandfather was in the CEF (60th Batt) so these are of particular interest to me.

Regards

Roger

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for posting. My great grandfather was 44th Battalion CEF. Robert Martin, 622249. Great to see what he would have worn. Do you have any other uniform items? Thank you. Sam

very nice, well displayed, thanks for sharing

regards

Bob R.

• 4 weeks later...

A couple more:

44th Battalion CEF:

44th_zpsbd905892.jpg

107th Canadian Pioneer Battalion:

107th_zpsb990b318.jpg

Last one:

184th Battalion CEF:

184th_zps30846c6c.jpg

Hi,

Can you tell me the difference between a WW1 Canadian Officer's Model 1905 Service Dress Cap and a WW1 Canadian Other ranks Model 1905 SD Cap?

Regards,

Richard

Hi,

Can you tell me the difference between a WW1 Canadian Officer's Model 1905 Service Dress Cap and a WW1 Canadian Other ranks Model 1905 SD Cap?

Regards,

Richard

Officers caps are usually better made, but otherwise the badge would be of a different metal (it would if it was British and I assume the same applied to the Canadians and this applies to all my comments which are based on British items), the chinstrap for OR's would have metal buckles whilst officers would have leather sliders and OR's cap usually have the General service buttons and officers should have regimental buttons, though often do not.