Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Hospital Ship Identification Help Please

Guest Darryl Bailey

Guest Darryl Bailey

Hello Everybody,

Please forgive my forum etiquette / technique, as I have just registered and this is my first attempt.

I was wondering if I can seek assistance from anyone who may have knowledge on WW1 Hospital Ships that were in operation from France to England during the later part of 1918.

I have been researching my grandfathers service records and have been unable to identify the name of the (I suspect) Hospital Ship (see attached file) that he was invalided from France to (I suspect) Portsmouth on the 20-9-1918.

I have tried "Google" searching various interpretations of the spelling of the ship name but have been unable to come to a firm conviction of the spelling.

I was hoping that someone can recognise or make out the name on the attached scan (pointed to by the yellow arrow), or maybe know of a ship register for Portsmouth during this period that can be referenced to trace it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for taking the time to read.

Kind Regards

Darryl

post-107654-0-16342700-1393600956_thumb.

I think that's the Grantully Castle with the writer re-writing G for C in haste.

Galway Castle ?

Opps She sank in Sep 1918 :wacko:

I think HMHS Grantully Castle too. Plenty of pics if you google the name.

Guest Darryl Bailey

Hi,

I would like to thank seaJane, Don Don and sotonmate for their help and suggestions. I found quite a bit of information regarding this ship. I would never have picked Grantully Castle, it looked to me to be Graning Gaslle, which name does not exist that I could find.

I look forward to reading more great topics of interest in the Great War Forum.

Thank you again.

Kind Regards

Darryl

• 3 weeks later...

Hospital Ship Aberdonian sailed from Rouen on 2.1.17: on board was Driver John Priddle 18231 24 Division Ammunition Column, Royal Field Artillery. He had been diagnosed in the field with fever (Pyrexia Unknown Origin) on 10.12.16 and transferred to 5 General Hospital Rouen on 25.12.16.