Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

176th Tunnelling Company War Diary ?

Sam_martin82

Hi

I've very kindly been given the war diary for 176th Tunnelling Company.

95% of it is hand written and I'm having huge problems reading it. Has anyone by any small chance got a typed written version or can help with their activities between 15th December 1916 to 13th April 1917.

Thank you

Sam

Hi Sam

(On the cadge)

Are you making the transcript available at all, I have numerous dates between September 1915 and April 1917 I could do with ??

Regards

Graeme

I was allowed access to another forum members photographs of the war diaries. If you private message me your email address I'll send you the photographs of the dates you need over the weekend.

HI

Can any one let me have any war diary entries that relate to 102232 Second Corporal C.Deeming of the 175th Co. RE who I think won the MM or DCM ( Not sure which) and was in the London Gazette 30.March.1916. I normally take it the action was about 3 months before this date putting his gallant deeds around January 1916 !?

I am trying to get some detail for the relatives and any war diary entries of relevance for say for a couple of months before as well as the day he won it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Clive

Clive

It was a DCM. Citation:

"For conspicuous gallantry in repeated entering and working in our galleries after camouflets had been fired by the enemy. Later he watched over charges for a week between their laying and firing".

(A camouflet was an explosive charge laid into a drilled space into the enemy tunnel wall by both sides when counter-mining was detected nearby).

Thanks very much for the citation information which is much appreciated.

I am trying to find out the day by day "war diary" information of where Corporal Deeming was before his gallant deed and upon the day.

I have war diaries for a line regiment I am interested in but have no idea if any are available for the 175th Royal Engineers for the period leading up to this mans gallantry. I suspect that such diary entries might include reference to Corp. Deeming by name. If any one can assist me in relation to these records and where I can find them I would be very grateful.

Regards

Clive

• 3 years later...

Hi Looking for any information for Cpl George Smith 86462 176th Tunneling Company who was Gazetted April 14th 1916, I have been offered his DCM just wondered if there was any Citation details,He was a Burnley Man formerly of the Leicestershire Regiment,Thank You.Kieron

Edited by Guest

• 6 months later...

Hi, I am looking for any information regarding private James Webster 19509 2nd Yorkshire Battalion who died on the 17th December 2015. Any information would be great, all it says in the war diary for this date is 'killed in action'.

6 hours ago, chrisknapman said:

Hi, I am looking for any information regarding private James Webster 19509 2nd Yorkshire Battalion who died on the 17th December 2015. Any information would be great, all it says in the war diary for this date is 'killed in action'.

Chris

Welcome to the Forum.

You would be better to start a new thread about him, more people will see it and try to help. I will have a look because my Great Uncle served with 2 Bn Yorkshire Regiment.

Brian

EDIT: I have just noticed in the Register of Soldier's Effects that 19509 James Webster 2 Yorkshire who was k in a on 17/12/1915 was attached to 176 Tunnelling Co. 

The WD of 2 Yorkshire for 27/10/1915 records that 4 O/Rs were attached to 173 TC RE and 16 O/Rs were attached to 176 TC RE with a view to being transferred as Tunnellers. Presumably he was one of the 16. He disembarked in France on 02/10/1915, the WD records that on 06/10 204 Other Ranks arrived from Base and on 10/10 a further 50 Rank and File joined.

Brian

Edited by brianmorris547

• 9 months later...

Apologies if this should be on a new thread, but thought the unit war diary might have some info.

I'm looking for information about a group of 24 Kings Royal Rifle Corps riflemen who were transferred to the 176th Tunnelling Company in April 1916. The KRRC war diary mentions this happened on 25th April 1916. I think my Great Uncle might be one of the men transferred since he was a miner before the war. And years back my Grandad told me his brother was killed in the mines under the trenches.

A related question - how likely is it that a rifleman transferred like that, and killed in action while in the 176th Tunnelling Company, would be recorded as a KRRC casualty? I have found my relative's death record, and it states that he was KRRC, killed on April 17th 1916. Problem is that the battalion diary records no casualties that day, or much of that month - 'a singularly quiet' tour of the trenches it says. The diary states only one man was killed during that tour, and he is named, and it isn't my Great Uncle.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated!

Vic

Vic

I read the 1916 RE TC WDs at Kew last year. Casualties from other Regiments are often named. Unfortunately I only made a note of the RE names. I have no entries for 17/04/1916. The War Diary is WO 95/244/5 which you can order from TNA. The TC WDs are not on Ancestry.

Re posts 4 and 6: 102232 Deeming C is named in the WD of 175 TC on 17/03/1916 as being awarded the DCM. (WO 95/400/5).

Re post 7:               86462 Smith G is named in the WD of 176 TC on 03/05/1916 as being awarded the DCM. (WO 95/244/5).

Brian

Edited by brianmorris547

• 9 months later...

Hi everyone,

My Great Grandfather was James Lockyer, service no.156445, 10th Northumberland Fusiliers then transferred to RE 176th Tunnelling Co. on 30/06/16.
There is mention in his records of a Military Medal being awarded and mentioned in the London Gazette on 14/09/16, but i can’t find anything there. I would love to see the war diary for 176th Tunneling Co and also see the pictures. If someone could kindly point me in the right direction that would be massively appreciated, Thanks everyone, all the best! 

Morning Luke,

Welcome to the Forum.

The War Diary is available to download for a small fee here

1915 Apr - 1916 Mar

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/252a95bfd5c14cb48dcbd6d9bac91a3d

1916 Apr - 1919 Jan

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/01c2d2e8158345b499200abb5a028f44

Obviously you will only need the second one so for £3.50 you will have everything he did etc.

Regards,

Graeme

10 hours ago, Luke Raynor said:

Hi everyone,

My Great Grandfather was James Lockyer, service no.156445, 10th Northumberland Fusiliers then transferred to RE 176th Tunnelling Co. on 30/06/16.
There is mention in his records of a Military Medal being awarded and mentioned in the London Gazette on 14/09/16, but i can’t find anything there. I would love to see the war diary for 176th Tunneling Co and also see the pictures. If someone could kindly point me in the right direction that would be massively appreciated, Thanks everyone, all the best! 

Luke

Welcome, The National Archives reference for the War Diary of 176 TC that you want is WO 95/244/6 from April 1916. See the above link. The Diary names other ranks up to August 1916 but there is no mention of James Lockyer on 01/07/1916, which, according to his papers, is when he joined the Company. The Co were involved in setting off charges and also getting similar back from the Germans. No mention of any individual acts but the WD for 19/09/1916 records, " By Order of H M The King. 12 NCOs and men of the Co were awarded Military Medals, one NCO awarded Cross of St George, 1V Class". (This was a Russian decoration).

His MM is recorded in the London Gazette Edition 29749 page 9002 of 12/09/1916. Put his service number into the search box and dates from 01/01/1916 to 31/12/1916 - leave the name box blank. Some Divisional HQ (A&QMG) War Diaries name men from Tunnelling Companies under Honours and Rewards e.g 1 Div A&QMG has names from 173 TC but the Tunnelling Companies were under Army command. You best bet is a report in the local papers for Bedlington. They are normally on fiche at your main library.

His papers show that he was wounded on 01/06/1917. Again, no names in the WD which records, "One man killed in Action and three admitted to hospital wounds, one man with shell shock". The WD had the map reference G 10 a 8 3 in the corner and the map number 51B NW. Garvelle Orpy Sector near Roclincourt. The WD records that during the month the Co were engaged in constructing dugouts and were under periodic shell fire.

This map 51B NW allows you to plot G 10 a 8 3 but it might be the where the Co HQ was situated. Just above the word Les in Les 4 Vents, N E of Arras.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/101465065

Please feel free to ask for help.

Brian

Edited by brianmorris547
typo