Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

1st Canterbury Regiment New Zealand.

bobtail

Hi there.

Hopefully I've attached a photo of my grandfather. He was originally with the Liverpool Scottish Rgt but appears to have spent time with 1st Canterbury Rgt. New Zealand. The photo shows him in the uniform of 1st Canterbury. Firstly, I can find no reference to British soldiers seconded to a New Zealand Rgt. Also he is wearing a black armband, his buttons are also blackened and he is wearing an oval badge on his right breast. If anybody can provide any information relating to any of this it would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s942.photobucket.com/user/bobtail14331/embed/slideshow/Grandad%20Morris"></iframe>

Welcome to the Forum

If you post his name, apart from Grandad Morris (!),and any other facts,it might help unlock some priceless info !

I note that there is an inverted chevron on the left sleeve of each photo,so some continuity is apparent,given that he didn't earn one with each unit ! No medal ribbons,so my though that he might have gone to NZ post-war probably dashed.

Thanks for your welcome and interest. He was Daniel Morris born 1895 West Sussex. Pretty sure he never left England apart from WW1. I have his three medals. Victory medal, 1914-18 medal and 1939-45 defence medal. WW1 medals marked Pte. D. Morris 360283 L'pool Rgt. I also have his Scottish cap badge, sweetheart broach, 1st Canterbury lapel badge and an embroidered crown on a khaki background. Can you tell me what the inverted chevron means? I hope this helps. Thanks again.

I believe that it's an indicator of length of service with good conduct,I presume the more chevrons the longer the service.

There were other,smaller,chevrons worn on the right forearm for service in WW1,a red one for 1914 and blue ones for each year thereafter. Wound stripes,(but a single downward facing bar in actuality) were worn on the left sleeve also,one strip for each wounding incident.

The service number for William equates to the batch issued to Territorial soldiers of 10 Battalion,the Medal Card shows he was 2/10 Battalion which landed in France in Feb 1917 and was part of 172 Brigade of 57 Division.In April 1918 the 2/10 amalgamated with 1/10 and moved to 55 Division to war's end.

There is a pencilled date on the Medal Card saying 15/2/22,not a regular feature on Medal Cards so it must mean something.

Sorry,Daniel it is !