Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Leeds man - trying to determine his address

Chris_Baker

Pte 25534 Frank Watson was killed in action on 5 September 1916, serving with the 12th West Yorkshire Regiment. "Soldiers Died" confirms that he came from Leeds. The CWGC register has no personal details. His service record is missing. He has no entry in the Leeds volume of the National Roll.

I am trying to determine this man's private address or any family details.

Any help from local sources would be very welcome.

Chris. Only 5 x Frank Watson in 1911 living in Leeds think we can dismiss four of them born 1872/1875/1903/1907 leaving one born c1889 a boarder at 86 Fenton Street Leeds. Possible ? Ralph.

Chris. Fairly sure he is your man, there is a "private" tree on Ancestry with this man on it, born c1887 2 Westend Terrace Leeds in 1887, 21 Workhouse Cliffe ? (difficult to read) in 1891 and 12 Raglan Rd in 1901 mother/father Elizabeth/Joseph.

Very good deduction, rjaydee. Thank you. If you ever find anything that explicitly matches the 1887 man with the soldier, please do let me know.

21 Workhouse Cliffe ? (difficult to read)

Could it be Woodhouse Cliffe?

Woodhouse Cliff is a street in Leeds not far from Headingley cricket/rugby ground

Woodhouse Cliff would make sense, it and Raglan Road are very near to each other and Fenton Street is only a few hundred yards away.

There are few houses on any of the three streets now. Woodhouse Cliff leads to a school, most of Fenton Street is buried under the University of Leeds car park and Raglan Road if full of take away shops. :thumbsup:

St Marks is the closest church to Raglan Road but the Emmanuel Church off Delph Lane might have been closer to Woodhouse Cliff

Hi Chris,

Woodhouse Cliff is off Woodhouse Street near the Hyde Park Pub. I know the hill you mean, bloody terrible when it snows!!!

I wouldn't mind but I was in Leeds today at the Library researching 31st Division casualties circa July/August/September 1916.

One man however, and I don't know if this is relevant that I came across, one Frank Watson, killed in action, aged 28 years, but whilst serving with the Northumberland Fusiliers. Address however is given as St. Mark's Street, Woodhouse, Leeds.

If anything, it will narrow down search criteria.

Best wishes to all.

Chris.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a City war memorial in Leeds listing (all?) the Leeds men who died in action. If your Leeds man is listed on that memorial, then possibly in the City council archives you might find details of the names that were to be recorded and the next of kin.

It was through the name on that memorial we discovered the death in action of Charlie Rubenstein. He was not named on the Jewish Roll of honour and the family today knew nothing of his existence until he turned up in their family on the censuses of 1901 and 1911. He had subsequently vanished.

The other oddity about our Leeds man is that he moved units. So was not killed in the unit where one might have expected. His medal card shows Medal card index shows, service numbers 25846, 38836 West Yorkshire Regiment, but then (like the case mentioned above) Northumberland Fusiliers 25th (Tyneside Irish) Bn., Private 38836.