Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

A WWI "Australian" Life Guard

Beau Geste

A visitor to the Zandfoorte Memorial dicovered a separate small memorial nearby dedicated to 2880 Acting CoH William Thomas Leggett, 1st Life Guards, and raised the question in THe Household Cavalry archives as to whether or not anything was known about him.

It transpired that he was born in Lithgow, Newcastle, New South Wales and whilst his date of birth does not seem to have been recorded, his declared age on enlistment on 4th January 1912, was 20 years and 11 months. It is interesting to note that the records show that he was a British Subject on enlistment.

He was promoted to the rank of Lance Corporal in April 1914 and then to Acting CoH (Corporal of Horse) on 28th August which would have been about the time the Regiment would have been on their way to Belgium as part of the British Expeditionary Force. He was killed in Action on the 18th October 1914, which was just about the time that 'D' Squadron 1LG was virtually wiped out in the area of Zandfoorte during First Ypres.

Details of this man will be passed to the Australian Military Attache at Cavalry Sunday.

Harry

A visitor to the Zandfoorte Memorial dicovered a separate small memorial nearby dedicated to 2880 Acting CoH William Thomas Leggett, 1st Life Guards, and raised the question in THe Household Cavalry archives as to whether or not anything was known about him.
It transpired that he was born in Lithgow, Newcastle, New South Wales and whilst his date of birth does not seem to have been recorded, his declared age on enlistment on 4th January 1912, was 20 years and 11 months. It is interesting to note that the records show that he was a British Subject on enlistment.
He was promoted to the rank of Lance Corporal in April 1914 and then to Acting CoH (Corporal of Horse) on 28th August which would have been about the time the Regiment would have been on their way to Belgium as part of the British Expeditionary Force. He was killed in Action on the 18th October 1914, which was just about the time that 'D' Squadron 1LG was virtually wiped out in the area of Zandfoorte during First Ypres.
Details of this man will be passed to the Australian Military Attache at Cavalry Sunday.
Harry

I've enlarged the parts of your post that came out in tiny type, Harry.

All Australians were British subjects until the advent of Australian nationality/citizenship in, I think, 1949.

I've enlarged the parts of your post that came out in tiny type, Harry.

All Australians were British subjects until the advent of Australian nationality/citizenship in, I think, 1949.

THANK YOU

HARRY

The Leggett Memorial Plaque at Geluwe (photo taken 2010):

attachicon.gifCopy of WF Tour 427 - Wm Leggett Memorial Plaque, Geluwe.jpg

And a little more on him here: http://www.australiansatwar.gov.au/stories/stories_war=W1_id=23.html

Cheers, Frev

Thank you Frev. I'll pass it on to the museum at Windsor.

Harry