Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Medical Abbreviation - R.P.B.?

mrfish

Hi

Can anyone shed any light on what the abbreviation R.P.B., next to the first and seventh soldiers (Adams and Blake) listed on this sick list stands for? It appears a lot in this list. I assume it is a medical term, like the D.A.H. (Disorderly Action of the Heart) just below (Ball)?

Many thanks

Craig

><(((((*>

post-11503-0-11303000-1393504028_thumb.j

I have no idea, sorry, but I like to think ruddy painful boil :D

Sorry.

Craig, RPB could possibly mean "Right Primary Bronchus" or Right Principal Bronchus", which is a bronchus of the respiratory system.

Anne

In this context would it not be an establishment/place rather than illness ?

You don't say what the origin of the list is - but could the P.B. indicate 'Permanent Base' - 'Retained Permanent Base' or similar?

Sue

I had originally thought of a place but he reason for my posting Right Primary Bronchus is that there was inference to a medical term. Apart from Retained Permanent Base the only other military term I can think of at the moment is Regional PSYOP Battalion which I think pertains to U.S. Military.

Anne

Thanks for your replies. The source is the Hampshire Regimental Journal casualty lists for April 1915.

I was assuming it is an illness because of the similarly placed DAH below, which I took to be Disorderly Action of the Heart? But now I come to look at the list, there are a number of other soldiers with the same abbreviation, but only for the General Hospital at Boulogne. I believe from a later list that this was 12th General Hospital.

Looking at the ones in the UK on this part of the list, it definately must be the name of the establishment? Something Something Boulogne?

Craig

post-11503-0-01510300-1393514121_thumb.j

Thanks, Sue, that's great. It would have been a little easier if I had not confused things in the first place!!!! Many thanks for solving this one for me.

Craig

:-)