Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

An Old Contemptible Re-Emerges

mcderms

:D This is being posted by an extremly proud and very excited family historian!

When my grandfather died last year, my dad got his medals and I got his dad's medals. I have just started researching Pvt E McDermott 1713 Royal Warks Regiment and what do I find?

Firstly, he's a pre-war professional soldier who marries his French wife during WW1. Secondly he's missing a medal and its the 1914 star. Thirdly his medal card has a qualifying date for the star of October 1914.

Now unless I am very much mistaken, this makes him one of the original 230,000 Old Comtemptibles and due not just a star but the 1917 bar as awarded by HRH the King!

Blimey... All this and we've just found out that my great-uncles MM in WW2 was awarded when he was in the SAS. I think I may have missed my vocation - do the TA take 30 somethings with (apparently) martial bllod running through their veins?

Many thanks to perce620 who pointed me in the right direction and if anyone else has any info on the 2nb battn Royal Warks in WW1, I'd be very grateful! :D

Well done, great news.

Congratulations and I understand exactly how proud you must be for unearthing all this info.

I went through the same experience when I realised my Grandfather was also an 'Old Contemptible'. I'm lucky in that I have all his medals and feel very proud that my Grandfather was among the first profesional soldiers who played such an important role in grinding the German offensive to a halt.

Great stuff!

Cheers,

Michael

Well done! As someone who has a fierce interest in the Old Contemptibles, I understand how you must feel. They were quite a "band of brothers".

Guest Hangleton

Great news!

My gt uncle was an Old Contemptible too - see my signature. He enlisted pre war (1908) and was recalled when the great war started.