Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1St battalion Royal Welch Fusiliers

llandyrnog

Hello,

I am researching my family history and would like to know more about his final days. He was Joseph Davies No. 11069 of the 1st battalion RWF. He died on the 16th May 1915 in Flanders. Would anybody be able to point me in the right direction as to the unit war diary for that day ?. Thank you in advance.

Joseph Davies born Abergele, landed in France 11th December 1914 as a reinforcement to 1st RWF which had been wiped out at Ypres at the end of October. Killed in action at the battle of Festubert 16th May 1915. One of many from the battalion commemorated on the Le Touret Memorial, Richebourg L'Avoue, to those who fell in that sector (incl. Festubert) and who have no known grave.

The unit mustered 25 Officers 806 men in the trenches that morning, Following a half-hour bombardment the unit attacked just after it ended at 3:16am, going over the top in successive order of the 4 companies, 2 waves of men per company. Their aim (within the larger battle) was to take 2 lines of enemy trenches then hold a defensive position. It met heavy shell and machine-gun fire even as it left the trenches and tried to cross No Mans Land. They got beyond the two enemy lines but came under fire from their left, and part of the battalion (A & part of B companies) was mixed up with the 2nd Scots Guards on that flank. The rear two companies (C & D) also suffered badly in crossing to the German lines. As some men pressed on further they were hit by "friendly" shellfire and halted.

By 1pm contact was made with the Royal Warwicks Regiment on the right and The Queen's Regiment came up in support. The battalion found itself holding an exposed position facing an orchard, open to enemy sniping from front and rear. At 2pm the enemy began shelling the trench they were in, which offered little cover. Reinforcements from the 7th London regiment came up and attacked the orchard covered by fire from the RWF, but had to fall back under machine-gun fire. The shelling meantime wrecked the trench and cut the RWF off from other units. Darkness was approaching as the RWF fell back to a line being held just in front of the former Second German Line; then were ordered to withdraw to trenches being held by The Queen's, which they accomplished successfully.

The RWF claimed to have penetrated the enemy defences to a depth of 1200 yards. For this they paid a heavy price: Officers- 6 killed, 2 died of wounds, 9 wounded, 1 wounded & missing, 1 missing. Total 19 out of 25. Other Ranks- 118 Killed, 271 wounded, 164 missing (many of whom would prove to be dead), 6 wounded and missing. Total 559 out of 806. Some 110 bodies were collected and buried in the old No Mans Land on 18th May, in addition to various officers brought in the previous evening.

Clive

Edit: Hywyn beat me to it!

Edited by LST_164

Hi,

Thank you so much for your information. As I am getting used to how this forum works I have been reading some of the posts by will I davies regarding Joseph and his brothers and am proud to say I am related (1st cousin 2x removed ) to these brave people !. I look forward to taking more time to fully digest their history and hopefully Will replies to my message and I can indeed let him know about my Grandfather who served in the RWF and his brother in law Robert Davies Grenadier Guards and my father who served in the RWF in WW2.

Another RWF casualty at Festubert on 16th May, Pte 4893 Stephen Ankers 4th Royal Welch Fusiliers. Born & enlisted at Wrexham. A lathe operator at Abbott Leather Works, Wrexham.

miuk1914d 120447 01054

miuk1914d 120447 01056

As a ps, if anyone can fill in the gaps in Sgt Smith's report I would be very grateful.

Hello and welcome. Hope you have a rewarding, certainly enjoyable, outcome with your family research. Will Davies is sure to be along soon.

I have been able to contribute to his family story some time ago and by coincidence that of a Llandyrnog man only this month!

Hi,

Thank you so much for your information. As I am getting used to how this forum works I have been reading some of the posts by will I davies regarding Joseph and his brothers and am proud to say I am related (1st cousin 2x removed ) to these brave people !. I look forward to taking more time to fully digest their history and hopefully Will replies to my message and I can indeed let him know about my Grandfather who served in the RWF and his brother in law Robert Davies Grenadier Guards and my father who served in the RWF in WW2.

Hi Llandyrnog,

We seem to be distantly related......I have sent you by E-mail some details and i have quite a bit more yet, just let me know what you need and i'll see if I can send it on.

Thanks also to the other forum members for alerting me to this post.

Regards

Will

Hi Will, Thank you for your e-mail which I have replied to. I forgot to add that if you have any photos of the brothers, sisters or Mother & father they would be most welcome!.

Exciting stuff !

• 9 months later...

Hello

This is my first attempt, with regard to Stephen Ankers he was my Great Uncle we have little information on him and would appreciate sight of the letter sent to his parents on his death.

Another RWF casualty at Festubert on 16th May, Pte 4893 Stephen Ankers 4th Royal Welch Fusiliers. Born & enlisted at Wrexham. A lathe operator at Abbott Leather Works, Wrexham.

As a ps, if anyone can fill in the gaps in Sgt Smith's report I would be very grateful.

Hi Baz

Welcome to the forum. The letter I posted belonged to somebody on Ancestry. If you don't have access to the site I will try and find it again and get contact details for you.

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the message, l do not have access to Ancestry site and are new to this site as you might have guessed, since my Dad passed away in 1993 and l did not find out about his Uncle until a few years ago, the info we know of him was that he died in WW1 and the memorial was in Le Touret.