Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identification of the CO of the 2nd Kashmir Rifles in East Africa

Cowshed

I've been re-reading my grandfather's journal of the First World War, most of which was spent in East Africa and he refers to a Colonel Lyall the CO of the 2nd Kashmiris. I thought it would be quite easy to identify him, but it is proving not to be so. The IWM collection has photographs by G H Cooke in their collection several of which are labelled as showing Colonel R A Lyall, but I am coming to the conclusion that the "R A" are not his initials, but a reference to "Royal Artillery". I can find a couple of London Gazette entries for Henry Frederick Lyall Grant and am wondering if this is the right man, but why is he referred to by others as Lyall and not Grant? Lieut.-Col. Capell in The 2nd Rhodesia Regiment in East Africa also refers to him as Lyall.

Any ideas?

Simon

Courtesy of bushfighter:

Major Robert Adolphus Lyall DSO was on the Indian Army Unattached List. He was originally an army officer in 1st Lancers but he then joined the Indian Political Service as a civilian, being transferred to the Indian Army Supernumerary List. He was qualified in the Persian & Pushto languages.

He temporarily reverted to military duty in August 1914.

As a Lt Col in Sheppard's column he later served on the advance to the Lukigura River in GEA.

Cops a few mentions in LG under his full name.

Many thanks Tim

Now I know his first names I seem to be able to find references to him in several places - always seems the way, but I was getting nowhere before your help pointing me in the right direction.

Regards

Simon