Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Manitoba Regiment

Max

Hello Everyone

I have been trying to track down a relative of mine for some time and think that I may have stumbled across him whilst browsing the online MIC site.

I have always considered the possibilty that the man in question, Benjamin Riding, emigrated to either Rhode Island, USA or Canada as he had family in both countries. The MIC details are as follows:

Manitoba Regiment 63119 Private

Northumberland Fusiliers 66139 Private

Loyal North Lancashire Regiment 43772 Private

I have checked for his attestation papers online at the Canadian Archive with no success and am now at the stage were I need help off of a Manitoba expert or someone with detailed knowledge of the CEF in general who can point me in the right direction.

Thanks in anticipation

Andy

Andy look for my postings on Harry Bird on Rootschat, i think it is under relative of to America about 4 months back. The person who answered me somehow had access to the people who emergrated records, told me wherefrom, on what boat, and dates of arrival at which port

Andy, that service number was in a block used by the 23rd Battalion. This was a mixed battalion with men from the Provinces of British Columbia, Alberta, Manitoba and Quebec and I believe it was formed at Camp Valcartier in Quebec. The battalion was not included in the First Division and became the 23rd Reserve Battalion so he must have transferred to a Manitoba Battalion later.

Is it possible he used an alias, perhaps the soldier with that service number?

Hello Chris

I hadn't thought about an alias so I checked the online attestation papers for 63119 and came up with the wonderfully theatrical name of "Oswald Baron" . His papers state that he was from Blackrod, Lancs. A rudimentry check of the 1901 census however shows that there was an Oswald Baron, born in Blackrod and just the right age, so no go there then.

Of course, the opposite could be the case and Oswald Baron could have taken Ben Riding as an alias, but I think that is stretching it somewhat.

Thanks for the unit information

Andy

Andy, I had a look through some of the other permutations of his family name, and came up with Benjamin Franklin Reding, Service Number 3208654, link. He was the closest I could find.

Close but no cigar! :D

Thanks for the effort Chris, but as you say, close but no cigar. Two reasons mainly: 1/ The man you have highlighted is too young and 2/ No one in my family would have a father with the middle name Marion :D

Thanks again

Andy