Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

15th Durham Light Infantry

Chalk

I wonder if anyone can possibly help me?

We recently discovered that my wife had had an uncle, Private Robert Dale MM 73270 in D Company of the 15th Batallion of the DLI.
Research has told us that he died of wounds, in the 2CCCS the day they re-opened after the move to Esquelbecq, and that he was the second person to be buried in the new cemetery in that village.

He must have been injured on or about the 26th April 1918 as he died on the 27th April.

We have a pdf copy of the original war diary for the month he died, which does at least give us a good idea of what happened to him, but we are trying to find out how he came to be awarded the Military Medal.

Does anyone have, or can point me to where I can download, the war diary for 15th DLI from August 1917 to March 1918, in the hope that we can find out more about the short life he had with them, and perhaps even what action led to the gallantry award?

Thank you!

Chalk from Canterbury

Thank you Graeme. That is good to see in print.

Just need to find the war diary and track down local newspaper archives.

Can anyone tell me how to locate the on-line scans of the diaries at the NA?

You'd be stood behind me in the queue!

The NA told me this afternoon that all the war diaries will be digitised and on-line by the end of the year.

If nothing else it will be good to see where he went, and what his unit was doing.

Hi Chalk I have the diary covering Sep 1915 - April 1919 for the 15th DLI. Send me a PM with your e-mail and I will forward it to you. Mike

Have you looked at Wilfrid Miles' "Durham Forces in the Field"? It gives a good account of the battalion's movements throughout the war.

Robert

• 2 months later...

Has anyone any info on my Great Grandfather James Baker Richardson b1875, her served in the 15th Btn DLI, he was taken prisoner sometime during the Battle of the Somme. My Great Grandmother died at the age of 39 before he came home. His Battalion was written on her death certificate.

Thank you

Melanie

• 3 years later...

Hi Chalk, I visited Esquelbecq a couple of weeks ago. Was moved to see a flower on Rpbert Dale grave. I realised it was 100 years to the day that he died. I wrote a song when I got back and would love to send it to you/your family