Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'L' Supply Company, Army Service Corps

Mangoman

Am attempting to find more information on the Unit that my great uncle served in. Herbert Baker Blackmore served as Private T407607 'L' Supply Company in the Army Service Corps and was based at Salisbury, Wiltshire. The prefix ‘T’ to his service number indicates that he was in the Horse Transport Corps in Kitchener‘s New Army.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

there is a pension record for him

Where do I look for that? Sorry to be a pain in the neck.

You should have a look at Michael Young's book "Army Service Corps, 1902-1918". On page 333, he states "L" company was formed on 7 December 1918 and renamed "G" company on 30 July 1920. It was based at Salisbury. I would be curious to know why a horse transport soldier was with a supply. I suppose that they needed some integral transport capability.

All the best,

Gary

You should have a look at Michael Young's book "Army Service Corps, 1902-1918". On page 333, he states "L" company was formed on 7 December 1918 and renamed "G" company on 30 July 1920. It was based at Salisbury. I would be curious to know why a horse transport soldier was with a supply. I suppose that they needed some integral transport capability.

All the best,

Gary

Many thanks for your help Gary. Would he have been eligible for any of the WW1 medals as I can't seem to find an MIC for him?

If there is no MIC, then quite possibly not. The pension records, when you access them, should reveal all.

All the best,

Gary

From his Pension Records, Herbert Baker Blackmore enlisted on 10.12.1915 in the ASC but one day later it states that he was placed into Army Reserve and was not mobilized until 10.5.1918. Any idea why this would have been? His application for a pension due to pains in the lungs was rejected on 24.6.1920; could this have something to do with him being placed in Reserve for 3 years or could there be another reason?