Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

FAO the handwriting experts

harribobs

I have been trying to decipher this soldiers christian name with no success, I am hoping that it will be a bit more obvious to some fresh eyes

any ideas would be welcome

post-1-1097050964.jpg

Harribobs

It's been originally written as the initials C.P., but then amended to read "Colquitt".

I have an entry for Colquitt Parry Cumpsty, aged 7, in the 1891 census living in Everton.

SN

Stephen

thanks! Colquitt ...no wonder I couldn't make it out, that's a new one on me

unfortunatly I have got the file with me but I do seem to remember a liverpool connection, it would appear he was working in central manchester when he joined up

cheers!

chris

Chris

Unusual surname as well (Compsty) Just 193 people with that surname in the 2001 census of England & Wales, ranking it equal 21793 in the list, along with the likes of Snoxell, Tarren, Elbouran and a whole host of others!

SN

sorry John

I've not got my files with me (sssh i'm supposed to be working) but he was an original Pal, i suspect he had a relation in the mancs as well

cheers

chris

Chris

Got him now. 14 platoon, D Coy, 18th Bn.

I agree about the relative. The Cumpsty listed on CWGC who died with the 1/6th Mancs has just gotta be a close relative. Unusual surname - I'd risk a tenner on him being a brother.

John

stephen hickson cumpsty ( another grand name!)

Colquitt worked at beresfords on withy grove (shude hill) so i thought i might have a walk down to the print works to have a look at the memorial there, you never know

chris

Chris

I think we are on a roll here. CWGC lists three Cumpstys:-

Frederick - son of Isaac & Mary of Hoylake. But he's on the Sale Memorial (how about parents lived in Sale then moved to the posh Wirral?)

R.V. Cumpsty - son of John & Mary of Manchester

Stephen - son of John & Mary Elizabeth.

So how about Stephen and RV are brothers. Colquitt may also be a brother. And Frederick a cousin

John

And there's more......

A quick flick at FreeBMD gives some interesting info.

Isaac Cumpsty seems to have married Mary Ann Dawes in 1869. Marriage registered at West Derby on Wirral. Frederick (the one on the Sale memorial) was born 1891 - birth registered at Chorlton (then a separate local authority outside Manchester). Speculation, therefore, that the family originates from Wirral but moves to Sale for work, then Isaac & Mary return to Hoylake on retirement by the time CWGC collects its casualty info in the 1920s.

More speculation (on which I will risk another tenner) is that John Stephen Cumpsty marries Mary Elizabeth 1882. Marriage registered at Chorlton. They are parent to Colquitt (born 1881, registered at Chorlton) and Stephen (born 1893, regsietred at Chorlton). Can't find any record of R.V. but I'll risk another fiver that he's also a son. Looks as though John Stephen remarried in 1900 to a Mary Hayes.

These Cumpsty lads like their Marys don't they.

So, I reckon that Frederick is a cousin to the other three (who are brothers). Next step for you, I think, is to check with Trafford's central library (think it's at Sale) to see if they have local newsapper archives of the time. Let me know how you get on.

John

Chris

And there's even more..........

try the 1901 Census. Keyword "Moss Side". I reckon you'll find R.V (and other interesting stuff).

John

Here's Isaac and his family in the 1901 census

SN

And here's John Stephen's family in Hulme in 1891. Colquitt has a younger brother, Ralph Victor!!!

SN

Excellent work John

thank you very much!

i shall have a go at the BMD site and the 1901 census myself this evening (someone recommended the mormon site to me as well)

no joy at the printworks, it was a different companys roll of honour

(btw my mother still lives in chorlton)

thanks again, i'll update you if i find out more

chris

Sorry, meant to say that on Isaac's 1901 entry, you'll see 19 year old Frederick at the bottom of the page.

Does that answer all the questions?

SN

Stephen

thanks for the census entries, could i be cheeky and ask you to email them to me? ( i'll pm you the address) the resolution is just a bit too faint for my failing eyes to read them

so we have Colquitt, Stephen and Ralph as brothers

pretty damn good from not even knowing his first name this morning!

chris

Chris

Duly emailed.

SN

Just spotted them

many thanks Steve! :D