Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Berkshire Regiment service number help please

Bob Chandler

5 minutes ago, HolymoleyRE said:

Cheers for that Craig, provides weight to one angle I had considered, guess with the two Regular Battalion, the TF Battalions, 5 Service Battalions and other Berkshire flavoured units to be raised/manned then local early Volunteers would dry up 

Had originally thought some may have been working out of the city in the summer months as farm labourers. picking crops and joined up locally in Reading. 

Andy 

Looking at where the attestations were signed

#14117 - Barking
#14147 - Clifton Street
#14162 - Hammersmith
#14190 - Newbury

Craig

3 hours ago, ss002d6252 said:

Looking at where the attestations were signed

#14117 - Barking
#14147 - Clifton Street
#14162 - Hammersmith
#14190 - Newbury

Craig

Cheers Craig, looked at SDGW and all follow the same pattern. 

Andy 

• 9 months later...

Hi Peter, that most certainly helps, thank you for your answer and help that's brilliant, lots of information for me to work on, 

As a fairly new member to the forum how should i have placed my question on the forum as I saw your comment "Probably worth asking the Admins to split this your request off into it's own thread"? how should i continue, any advice would be most welcome,

Brian

• Admin

I've asked the other moderators if they can do this, it's not easy on iPad, but easier on a laptop or desktop. Edit, managed to prise the laptop away from son, so have done this.

Michelle 

Response to Brian's query can now be posted here :)

2 hours ago, Brian J Owen said:

As a fairly new member to the forum how should i have placed my question on the forum as I saw your comment "Probably worth asking the Admins to split this your request off into it's own thread"? how should i continue, any advice would be most welcome,

Brian,

Nothing wrong in adding to an old thread, but for someone like me before responding I'd want to read back through to check whether your query has already been answered or whether it was picking up on something that had been partially discussed. Despite my senility I don't think either apply either. Others might be deterred from such a task and thus not respond to you at all.

Additionally, as I've responded in the break off thread, the evidence from nearby service numbers as far as the Medal Index Cards are concerned is that he might have arrived in Theatre as part of a draft intended for the Royal Berkshires but never got anywhere near them, instead being redirected to the Hampshires. Happy to be proved wrong on that if a search for surviving service records for men with nearby Hampshire Regiment service numbers shows otherwise, but suggests to me your query would be better off in it's own thread. The "usual suspects" who have responded here will still pick up your query and respond if they can.

Cheers,

Peter

• 2 years later...

Peter, my most sincere apologies for not responding to your post, it was most rude, so thank you for your post,

Kind regards,

Brian