Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Number of women killed/died?

Cynthia

Thanks Kieron - I wouldnt imagine there were many munition factories in Kent but I believe there was one in Faversham where women munition workers died in an explosion. Any help with names would be great (unless I have crossed stories somewhere). Thanks in advance.

Guest Kieron Hoyle

Munitions workers.

Roll of Honour 1914- 1919

Abbot

Alderson M

Allen Mabel

Allison Mary

Anderson E

Armstrong Mary

Armstrong Maud

Atherley

Atkinson Elsie M

Bainbridge K

Baker Emily

Bamber Diannah

Barber Mildred

Barker Maggie

Barrett Bridget

Barron Annie E

Bashford Nellie

Bates Norah

Beckett Helena

Beech Martha

Bell Annie

Benson Annie

Benton F

Blackamore Jennie

Blackstone Marie Jane

Bland Sarah E

Bolton Grace

Botterill A

Booth Polly

Bradly Irene

Bradshaw Margaret A

Brannon Emily

Bridget Courcy

Brooks Violet M

Brown Agnes (York)

Brown Agnes (Garston)

Brown Dorothy

Brown E

Brown Elizabeth

Bruce Elsie

Buckley Gladys

Bunce M

Butterworth Sarah

Cameron Margaret

Carter Florence K

Carter Mary E

Carruthers I

Cashin Bridget

Cash Elsie

Chandler Florrie

Chaplin Louie

Chapman Katie

Clark Nellie

Clark E C

Clarke Fanny

Clippellier Margaret

Clure

Cole A

Cooper Clara

Cooper Sarah

Copham Edith

Cotsford Alice

Crowder Dolly

Crossland Mary

Curry

Cursley Gertrude

Curtis Ada F

Davies Rosetta

Dawber Mary

Dawson Emily

Deane Agnes

Devonald Esther

Dillon Edith

Eady Ciceley

Eastide Emily

Eastment Kathleen

Eaton L M

Eccles Margaret

Eddyes Leah

Elliot Lilly

Elliott Mary E

Ellis Edith

Ellis Lillian

Elston Jane

England

Farmer Annie

Farmer Ethel

Farrer Elizabeth

Ferguson Agnes

Fettis Hilda

Few Jane

Fitzmaurice Mary

Flynn Maggie

Foley

Fountain Catherine

Fox Charlotte

Freeman Annie

Freer Hannah

Frost Annie

Frot Clara

Garman Margaret

Garrett E M

Gavin Helen

Gibbs E Lavinia

Gibson Mary

Gibson

Gleave Florence

Gorrill Ethel

Glassby Ada

Grant Elisa.

Hainsworth Violet

Haley Edith

Haverty Marie

Hawkins Ethel

Hayden Gladys

Heffernan A

Henderson Letitia

Hall Nellie

Herridge Charlotte

Hill Kate

Hilton Elsie

Hodgkins Florence A R

Hollinshead Agnes

Holmes Annie

Horrisge Beatrice

Hollington Nora

Leonard Anne

Levitt Edith

Lindley Florence H

Ling Dorothy

Lomas Florence

Lotinga Marion C

Lumley

Lyons M

Macey E

Marsh W B

Maskell

Mason Elizabeth

Massey Charlotte

McIntosh Bertha

Mead Lottie

Melville Amy

Metcalfe Annie

Morgan Margaret

Morris Lilly

Morrison A G

Moulds Nellie

Newsome Annie

Oates Elsie

Owen Mary

Pannell

Parragreen E J

Payne S

Peaker Sarah

Perkins Edith

Perry Annie

Portman Florence

Post Alice

Power Agnes

Preece Ellen

Preston Louisa

Pritchard Gladys

Rainbow E

Reid Gertrude

Roache Edith F

Robertson Bertha

Robinson Elsie

Rodgers E

Rofe Alice

Roscoe Margaret

Rushton Elizabeth Ethel

Rowley Mary E

Russell Marian

Schofield Gertrude

Schofield Mary

Scratcher M C

Sedgewick Emily

Seirs Anne

Shaw M

Sheppard Mary

Sheridan Sarah

Shoosmith Elizabeth

Silcock Margaret

Smart Alice

Smith Annie

Smith E

Smith Ellen

Smith Sybil

Staniland Stella

Stewart Amelia

Street Louisa

Sykes Edith

Taylor Fanny

Taylor Mary

Taylor S

Turner Mary L

Valentine M

Venes Lily

Walker Jane E

Walker Lizzie

Walsh Elizabeth

Ward Eliza

Watson D M

Webb

Welsh Agnes

West Eliza

West Mary

Whidgett V

Whiteley Florence

Williams Alice

Willis Dorothy

Wilshaw Sarah

Wilson Agnes

Wood Rose

Worslop Ida

Wortley M

Wray Florence M

Wyat Doris M

Yeates Olive

Names taken from ‘

Women’s Auxiliary of the Interallied veteran’s Federation.’

Pub by Charles-Lavauzelle, Paris 1934.

PLEASE NOTE - THIS LIST DOES NOT SAY WHERE THEY DIED, OR ANY DATES, AND AS YOU WILL SEE NOT ALL OF THEM HAVE THE CHRISTIAN NAME OR INITIAL. SORRY I CAN'T HELP FURTHER.

IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED I WILL POST SOME MORE OF THE LISTS LATER?

Disgracefully I have to admit to not looking at this discussion group very often and thankyou Terry for pointing out the latest string on WW1 female casualties.

Cynthia - we will never truly know the actual number of women nurses, drivers and other personnel who were killed in the Great War. The CWGC suggests that they care for a little over 600 graves (or memorial names) but admit that some graves are gender neutral as they only hold initials of the deceased rather than first names. Whilst graves to the QAIMNS, QMAAC, etc are obviously female some, such as CAMC, YMCA, VAD can have both sexes. The York Minster panels show 1465 female names. 238 munition workers were not eligible for the memorial plaque and I guess some other organisations such as the Women's Forage Corps were too. And not all QMAAC's had a memorial plaque issued - this seems to depend as to whether they were officially attached to an army regiment/unit.

Signals/Simon - Medal Year Book seems to quote the CWGC figure. Incidently memorial plaques were not just issued to the next of kin of those who died whilst on active service in a foreign theatre. They were also issued where the death was at home whether Canada, the UK or where-ever.

Conor - It is Sophia Violet Barrett rather than Sophie Violet Barrett. On the York Minster panels it is just Violet Barrett.

Tim - there are 20 females buried in Etaples cemetery. They are not all nurses. For instance Marguerite Maude McArthur died of pneumonia serving with the YMCA.

Kate - Edith Cavall was in private nursing and whilst she did sterling work she was not in the "forces". However her name is on the York Minster panels.

If any one would like any information on individual WW1 female casualties please get in touch. Similarly if any one has biographical information, photographs, medals or plaques (for photographing) I shall be pleased to hear from them. Jim Strawbridge

Guest Kieron Hoyle

Jim - you say that Edith Cavell was not part of the "forces" but she is listed in this roll of honour as serving with the Auxiliary Hospital along with 126 other names?

Kieron, Edith Cavell became the matron of Berkendael Hospital, Brussells in 1907. The hospital was adopted by the Red Cross on the outbreak of war (as many others were). When I said that she was not part of "the forces" I meant that she was not in the pay of her country and therefore not a servicewoman. In fact, as I understand it, it was nothing to do with her hospital duties that caused her fateful end but that she harboured French and British soldiers who were in transit to the Dutch lines. She was court-martialed by the Germans and shot at 2 am on the morning of the 12th October 1915. This was just over a year after the war had started. The fact that she was a woman and had been executed only a couple of days after the trial had ended without an opportunity of appeal caused furore and a cause celebre for the British publicity machine. The fact that she appears on the York Minster panels under auxiliary hospitals may be correct but I suspect that it would have been impossible to have omitted her name altogether and it had to go somewhere. This is all merely pedantics as there is no doubt that the lady died a brave patriot.

Edith Cavell was not a member of the armed forces of any Commonwealth country nor was she working for a Commonwealth division of the Red Cross.

As such, the pedantic truth is that she does not qualify for war grave status and would not be commemorated by CWGC. However, that does not detract from her undoubted gallantry and she should be rightfully remembered on the York memorial as Jim says.

• 1 year later...

The Regulations regarding issue for the plaque are quite clear in stating that Officers and Other Ranks withdrawn from the Army for special work such as munitions or agriculture will not be issued the plaque or scroll. This probably accounts for us seeing less womens plaques than we think there should be.

Guest Pete Wood
The Regulations regarding issue for the plaque are quite clear in stating that Officers and Other Ranks withdrawn from the Army for special work such as munitions or agriculture will not be issued the plaque or scroll. This probably accounts for us seeing less womens plaques than we think there should be.

Very true, Paul.

However I know of one plaque (in the collection of a chap who has 'quite a few female plaques') that is to a woman auxilliary - from an organisation that is not recognised by the CWGC. The plaque is direct from the family along with two plaques made for the woman's brothers, so there is no doubt as to authenticity. The owner is the same chap that now believes 1200+ female plaques were issued.....

Also I am not sure of the status of Australian munition workers. If they died in the UK they are commemorated by the CWGC. This would suggest, to me, that they might have been eligible for a plaque.

I have asked various people to keep an eye out at the AWM, or in the records at Canberra, but have not found anything concrete (YET!) to support the theory.

Of course, the details of a plaque to an Australian munitions worker (male or female) would be very welcome news indeed. About as welcome as a Labour Corps plaque for a Chinese national...... ;)

Thanks Kieron - I wouldnt imagine there were many munition factories in Kent but I believe there was one in Faversham where women munition workers died in an explosion.  Any help with names would be great (unless I have crossed stories somewhere).  Thanks in advance.

I can put you in touch with an author/historian who is writing a book on the Faversham explosion. There was a mass burial (79 people I believe), but there were many more who were buried far away from Faversham.

I now have many names of munitions workers, not on Kieran's list, who died in munitions factory incidents (eg Blakes munition factory with 13 lives lost; stone in Magravine cemetery), Baron's Court).

RT - Faversham is just outside my scope of interest, which runs roughly from Medway to Sittingbourne/Swale but I could easily be persuaded to spread as far as Faversham as well!

I would be interested in where these women are buried if your friend is prepared to give that type of info out before publication. Also interested in how far from publication he is and he can put me down for a copy.

According to my sources there were 109 Men and Boys killed in the explosion at Faversham including the whole Faversham factory Fire Brigade, for full list go to the Faversham Web Site.

John

Please find attaced the Roll of Honour from the No 1 Filling Factory at Crossgates, Leeds.

John

post-38-1102409895.jpg

Guest Pete Wood

There was more than 109 casualties, John. The 79 deaths that I quoted were the people buried in the mass grave at Faversham. As I said there are many more people buried away from the town.

Sigs, all I can do is ask. Please can you contact me off forum with a quick note as to how you would use the information.

Guest Pete Wood
Please find attaced the Roll of Honour from the No 1 Filling Factory at Crossgates, Leeds.

John

Excellent stuff. Thanks for sharing this with us.

• 2 weeks later...

Probably one for Jim here, but here we go.

York Minster and the Chapel of St. Nicholas.

Does anybody have, for lack of a better word, ' list' of all the names on the 12 panels in the chapel?

Regards, Chris.

Hi Jim.

Sorry for the late reply, been trying to carry the turkey down the path for over a week :D

Looking for any commemoration of a V.A.D. Nurse, Kathleen Tapsell, i believe a native of Grimsby?

Any info much appreciated.

Regards, Chris.

I am sorry, Chris, but I have no more information on this woman other than she was a member of the Voluntary Aid Detachment and her name is recorded on the York Minster panel 5. Because she was with the VAD does not necessarily make her a nurse. If you find out any further information I should be very pleased to hear it. I wonder if there is some kind soul on this forum from Grimsby who could see if her name is on the War Memorial there.

Hi Jim.

The lady in question is commemorated on my local war memorial at Wetherby, West Yorks. However, i can't seem to find any local connection.

Regards, Chris.

Chris, I have undertaken a simple (non paying) search of the 1901 census and Kathleen Tapsell is aged 2 and born in Grimsby. Martha Tapsell, aged 28 (and from West Melton, Yorkshire) seems to be the only other Tapsell from the area. The reason that I haven't undertaken a full search is because with 1600+ women to look up I shall be hoping to negotiate a discount with the NA in due course. I would welcome a photo of the entry on the war memorial if at all possible.

Cheers for that Jim.

I'll take a picture of the memorial and relevant panel this week.

I like the idea of the discount theory though, could try that one myself... <_<

Regards, Chris.

• 19 years later...
On 30/04/2003 at 18:32, Guest Kieron Hoyle said:

Munitions workers.

Roll of Honour 1914- 1919

Abbot

Alderson M

Allen Mabel

Allison Mary

Anderson E

Armstrong Mary

Armstrong Maud

Atherley

Atkinson Elsie M

Bainbridge K

Baker Emily

Bamber Diannah

Barber Mildred

Barker Maggie

Barrett Bridget

Barron Annie E

Bashford Nellie

Bates Norah

Beckett Helena

Beech Martha

Bell Annie

Benson Annie

Benton F

Blackamore Jennie

Blackstone Marie Jane

Bland Sarah E

Bolton Grace

Botterill A

Booth Polly

Bradly Irene

Bradshaw Margaret A

Brannon Emily

Bridget Courcy

Brooks Violet M

Brown Agnes (York)

Brown Agnes (Garston)

Brown Dorothy

Brown E

Brown Elizabeth

Bruce Elsie

Buckley Gladys

Bunce M

Butterworth Sarah

Cameron Margaret

Carter Florence K

Carter Mary E

Carruthers I

Cashin Bridget

Cash Elsie

Chandler Florrie

Chaplin Louie

Chapman Katie

Clark Nellie

Clark E C

Clarke Fanny

Clippellier Margaret

Clure

Cole A

Cooper Clara

Cooper Sarah

Copham Edith

Cotsford Alice

Crowder Dolly

Crossland Mary

Curry

Cursley Gertrude

Curtis Ada F

Davies Rosetta

Dawber Mary

Dawson Emily

Deane Agnes

Devonald Esther

Dillon Edith

Eady Ciceley

Eastide Emily

Eastment Kathleen

Eaton L M

Eccles Margaret

Eddyes Leah

Elliot Lilly

Elliott Mary E

Ellis Edith

Ellis Lillian

Elston Jane

England

Farmer Annie

Farmer Ethel

Farrer Elizabeth

Ferguson Agnes

Fettis Hilda

Few Jane

Fitzmaurice Mary

Flynn Maggie

Foley

Fountain Catherine

Fox Charlotte

Freeman Annie

Freer Hannah

Frost Annie

Frot Clara

Garman Margaret

Garrett E M

Gavin Helen

Gibbs E Lavinia

Gibson Mary

Gibson

Gleave Florence

Gorrill Ethel

Glassby Ada

Grant Elisa.

Hainsworth Violet

Haley Edith

Haverty Marie

Hawkins Ethel

Hayden Gladys

Heffernan A

Henderson Letitia

Hall Nellie

Herridge Charlotte

Hill Kate

Hilton Elsie

Hodgkins Florence A R

Hollinshead Agnes

Holmes Annie

Horrisge Beatrice

Hollington Nora

Leonard Anne

Levitt Edith

Lindley Florence H

Ling Dorothy

Lomas Florence

Lotinga Marion C

Lumley

Lyons M

Macey E

Marsh W B

Maskell

Mason Elizabeth

Massey Charlotte

McIntosh Bertha

Mead Lottie

Melville Amy

Metcalfe Annie

Morgan Margaret

Morris Lilly

Morrison A G

Moulds Nellie

Newsome Annie

Oates Elsie

Owen Mary

Pannell

Parragreen E J

Payne S

Peaker Sarah

Perkins Edith

Perry Annie

Portman Florence

Post Alice

Power Agnes

Preece Ellen

Preston Louisa

Pritchard Gladys

Rainbow E

Reid Gertrude

Roache Edith F

Robertson Bertha

Robinson Elsie

Rodgers E

Rofe Alice

Roscoe Margaret

Rushton Elizabeth Ethel

Rowley Mary E

Russell Marian

Schofield Gertrude

Schofield Mary

Scratcher M C

Sedgewick Emily

Seirs Anne

Shaw M

Sheppard Mary

Sheridan Sarah

Shoosmith Elizabeth

Silcock Margaret

Smart Alice

Smith Annie

Smith E

Smith Ellen

Smith Sybil

Staniland Stella

Stewart Amelia

Street Louisa

Sykes Edith

Taylor Fanny

Taylor Mary

Taylor S

Turner Mary L

Valentine M

Venes Lily

Walker Jane E

Walker Lizzie

Walsh Elizabeth

Ward Eliza

Watson D M

Webb

Welsh Agnes

West Eliza

West Mary

Whidgett V

Whiteley Florence

Williams Alice

Willis Dorothy

Wilshaw Sarah

Wilson Agnes

Wood Rose

Worslop Ida

Wortley M

Wray Florence M

Wyat Doris M

Yeates Olive

Names taken from ‘

Women’s Auxiliary of the Interallied veteran’s Federation.’

Pub by Charles-Lavauzelle, Paris 1934.

PLEASE NOTE - THIS LIST DOES NOT SAY WHERE THEY DIED, OR ANY DATES, AND AS YOU WILL SEE NOT ALL OF THEM HAVE THE CHRISTIAN NAME OR INITIAL. SORRY I CAN'T HELP FURTHER.

IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED I WILL POST SOME MORE OF THE LISTS LATER?

Twenty years on. I have closely checked the list provided by "Guest Kieron Hoyle" and I have a couple of queries both as to completeness (nothing from H to L, should at least be some Jones's) and some of the spellings (ie Doris M. Wyat). I cannot message Kieron as he was a guest and may not even be contactable now but I am looking for exactness as to what was listed in the book (Women’s Auxiliary of the Interallied Veteran’s Federation. Published by Charles-Lavauzelle, Paris 1934) so if anyone has, or has access to it, I would welcome a copy of the print.           By the way, it is far from complete and I know of many more women who have not found their way onto the York Minster panels.

later - Posted 10 March , 2006 by me

I have a very valued book on my bookcase titled "Femina Patriae Defensor" published in 1934 by Charles Lavauzelle and Co. The sub title is "F.I.D.A.C., Womens Auxiliary of the Interallied Veterans Federation". It, unfortunately tells nothing about the Federation Interallie des Anciens Combattants but, instead, the women's contribution to WW1 in the various countries.

-such a valued book that I can no longer find it !!!

Femina.jpg

Edited by Jim Strawbridge