Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/4th West Kents

Laird of Camster

Ladies/Gents,

Perhaps this is going slightly off topic, so please forgive me. But I`m hoping someone with an interest in the West Kent Regiment, might be able to assist me. I`m currently trying to research a couple of sole entitlement BWMs I have in my collection from the 1st/4th West Kents.

I know this battalion was stationed in India during the Great War. These men being entitled to a single BWM, however, I have also come across some examples of men from this battalion who were also entitled to a victory medal. I believe that a company was dispatched to Aden on garrison duties, at some point can anyone confirm this for me?

I also know that following the Great War this battalion was involved in the 1919 Afghan campaign, during which they attacked Spin Boldrak and sustained 8 casualties and the battalion won 3 MMs. I`d very much like to learn more about these MMs, but fear that the citations might be like that of MMs from during the Great War i.e very hit and miss. Any ideas anyone?

Gordon.

The suggestion of the 8 casualties comes from a dealers list, however, the CWGC lists only 3 from this battalion. See below, one of which being Sgt Haines MM & MID, could he be one of the 3 MM winners from this battle? Does anyone know who the 3 were? Any information would be most welcome!

Perhaps the 8 casualties includes killed and wounded?

post-93093-0-81686400-1392379498_thumb.p

• 2 weeks later...

Have you tried the London Gazette? I was doing some research on the Royal Tanks Corps in India, (1920s-1930s) and found some Military Medal awards in the London Gazette.

Chapter 32 from the Regimental History The Queens Own Royal West Kent Regiment 1914 to 1919 by C T Atkinson mentions the 3rd Afghan War

http://janetandrichardsgenealogy.co.uk/QORWK%20-%20C%20T%20ATKINSON%20Ch%2032.pdf from the family website Janet and Richards Genealogy

http://janetandrichardsgenealogy.co.uk/QORWK%20C%20T%20Atkinson.html

Cheers

Maureen

Have you tried the London Gazette? I was doing some research on the Royal Tanks Corps in India, (1920s-1930s) and found some Military Medal awards in the London Gazette.

Chapter 32 from the Regimental History The Queens Own Royal West Kent Regiment 1914 to 1919 by C T Atkinson mentions the 3rd Afghan War

http://janetandrichardsgenealogy.co.uk/QORWK%20-%20C%20T%20ATKINSON%20Ch%2032.pdf from the family website Janet and Richards Genealogy

http://janetandrichardsgenealogy.co.uk/QORWK%20C%20T%20Atkinson.html

Cheers

Maureen

Many thanks for these links Maureen, very interesting reading indeed.

I have a lad who is on the Tonbridge War Memorial [i'm researching all the men thereon] who was I believe with the 1st / 4th RWK.

CWGC

FIELD, FREDERICK JAMES

Service No: 2240

Date of Death: 03/06/1915

Regiment/Service: Queen's Own (Royal West Kent Regiment) 4th Bn.

Panel Reference Face 7.

Memorial KIRKEE 1914-1918 MEMORIAL

Additional Information:

Son of John and Sarah Field; husband of Rebecca Field, of 24, Pembury Grove, Tonbridge, Kent.

Statement of the Services: Service record has him:

RWK – 1/4th – Died at Jubbulpore, India of heatstroke – Private – 3.6.15

I have more on him if it's any use.

Dave Swarbrick

I have a lad who is on the Tonbridge War Memorial [i'm researching all the men thereon] who was I believe with the 1st / 4th RWK.

CWGC

FIELD, FREDERICK JAMES

Service No: 2240

Date of Death: 03/06/1915

Regiment/Service: Queen's Own (Royal West Kent Regiment) 4th Bn.

Panel Reference Face 7.

Memorial KIRKEE 1914-1918 MEMORIAL

Additional Information:

Son of John and Sarah Field; husband of Rebecca Field, of 24, Pembury Grove, Tonbridge, Kent.

Statement of the Services: Service record has him:

RWK – 1/4th – Died at Jubbulpore, India of heatstroke – Private – 3.6.15

I have more on him if it's any use.

Dave Swarbrick

Hi Dave, I did try and PM you but your inbox appears to be full. To that end yes please do share all you`ve got on Pte Field, I`d very much like to read it. Also if you EVER decide to part with his medal please bear me in mind. Gordon.

Hi Gordon

If it is of interest to you or relevant to your research I have some photos of my Great Grandad who was in the 1/4th in India. I also have the text from his diary which doesn't tell you much about his war but describes in detail what he had for tea and when he went to chapel!!

PM me with your email and I'll send them if you want the

Cheers

Tim