Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A German Canadian soldier in the CEF

Canadawwi

I thought I'd share this newspaper clipping with the group as I found it to be rather unusual. I've never across a similar story so far, and I've checked through nearly 3 years of war era Canadian newspapers. The article is dated May 10th, 1917, and is from the Toronto Star.

Corporal William Robert Vohmann, Military Medal, 75th Batt. CEF was killed in action at Vimy Ridge on April 9, 1917. He was born in 1891. According to this article, his mother was German, and although they do not mention the nationality of his father, the surname appears to be German as well. The family came to Canada from England.

Corporal Vohmann is buried at Canadian Cemetery No. 2, France. May he rest in peace.

Here's his record on the Canadian Virtual Memorial. Corp. W. R. Vohmann

post-3-1096998957.jpg

Canadawwi

I have been interested in stories of German nationals serving in WW1 with the CEF The only man I know of from Nova Scotia that was born German was interestingly captured and had died a pow while in German hands he was with the 25th Battalion. There are a number of men with German names enlisted in Nova Scotia but most of these were born here from early German settlers like my family. thanks for the story.

Best regards

N.S.Regt.

Following soldier is commemorated on the Menin Gate:

BOB, Private, F, 228331. Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (Eastern Ontario Regt.). 30th October 1917. Age 23. Son of Felix and Babette Bopp, of Kaiser Max Strasse, 25, Kaufbeurerr, Bavaria; Germany. Panel 10

Jacky

In a similar vein I attach this notice from the (Edmonton) Morning Bulleton of November 22, 1917. This relates to Louis Dobry, one of the original "Edmonton Irish Guards", who had recently been killed at Passchendaele. The controversy here is that Pte. Dobry's father was a naturalized Canadian who had just been disenfranchised on the grounds that he had been born in Austria.

post-3-1097009916.jpg

My relative, CSM Jackie Schwarer AIF, was killed in Flanders in September 1917. Shortly afterwards, his widowed mother was debarred from voting at the Conscription Referendum because she was born in Germany.

Pat