Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Heversham, Westmorland (Cumbria)

BereniceUK

The village schoolchildren are researching the names on the memorial. Can anyone add anything to what's below?

The plaque for William H. Ward has a Military Medal awrded to him but there's no mention of one at his CWGC entry.

11569 Private George A.Wilson, 6th Border Regiment. Died at Gallipoli on 28th August 1915. CWGC database gives his date of death as 29th August 1915.

Second Lieutenant James Hamilton, 4th Border Regiment. Died in France on 5th November 1916, aged 37. Son of George and Isabella Hamilton, of Middlesbrough. B.A., Durham University. M.A., Cambridge University, Honours in Classics, Corpus Christi College.

82742 Gunner Thomas Phillipson, "D" Battery, 38th Brigade, Royal Field Artillery. Died in France on 8th November 1916, aged 21. Nephew of John Strickland, of Eversley Farms, Milnthorpe.

242209 Private J. Ellis Woof, 5th Border Regiment. Died in France on 24th April 1917. Son of Mrs. E. J. Woof, of 27, Millholme Avenue, Carlisle.

659 Lance Corporal Herbert Valentine Shaw, 60th Australian Infantry, A.I.F. Died in France on 14th March 1917, aged 27. Son of Samuel and Elizabeth Shaw. Native of Kendal.

202014 Corporal Joseph Chamley, 2nd/5th Lancashire Fusiliers. Died in France on 2nd August 1917, aged 24. Son of Mrs. Chamley, of Bridge House, Woodhouse, Milnthorpe.

15825 Lance Corporal Robert Smith, 8th Border Regiment. Died in France on 16th August 1917.

6918 Private John Atkinson, 51st South Wales Borderers. Died in the Eastern General Hospital, Cambridge, on 22nd March 1918, aged 18. Son of Mr. J. Atkinson, of Woodhouse, Heversham.

12822 Corporal William H.Ward M.M.(?), 2nd Irish Guards. Died in France on 13th April 1918.

186416 Gunner Fred Baines, 59th Siege Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery. Died in France on 2nd May 1918.

58137 Private James Moore, 2nd/4th York & Lancaster Regiment. Died in France on 2nd September 1918, aged 18. Son of Mrs. Bertha Moore, of Leasgill, Heversham.

58136 Private John Sisson, 2nd/4th York and Lancaster Regiment. Died in France on 2nd September 1918, aged 18. Son of Robert and Mary Emily Sisson, of "Chestnut House," Heversham.

38866 Private Thomas Dowker, 1st The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment. Killed in France on 4th November 1918, aged 21. Son of Thomas and Jane Dowker, of Low Rowell, Milnthorpe.

30825 Private J.B.Germain, Machine Gun Corps (Infantry). Died on 14th November 1918, aged 23. Son of John and Mary Germain, of Highfield, Leasgill, Heversham.

15716 Lance Serjeant Edward Procter D.C.M., 17th The King's (Liverpool Regiment). Died in France on 23rd March 1918.

1958 Private John Procter, 3rd West Lancashire Field Ambulance, Royal Army Medical Corps. Died 29th June 1918, aged 29. Son of John and Jane Proctor, of Tattersalls Almshouses, Heversham. Born at Milnthorpe.

2554 Serjeant George Henry Graham Procter, 2/4th Border Regiment. Died in India on 30th September 1919, aged 23. Son of Mrs. Jane Towers Proctor, of Heversham. Note that CWGC database gives both John and George Procter's surnames as Proctor.

IMG_0968_zps9c89e042.jpg

[img]http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z198/BereniceUK/UK%20travel/Cumbria/Heversham/DSC02879_zps22bb94cd.jpg[/img]

DSC02881_zps39ba5135.jpg

DSC02886_zpsbfe3a2b7.jpg

I'll see if I can find more for you but you might also find these of interest...

ABBATT, EDWARD LESLIE. Rank: Air Mechanic 1st Class. Service No: 65535. Date of Death: 08/09/1917. Age: 22.
Regiment/Service: Royal Flying Corps. Aircraft Park
Panel Reference: Memorial: KARACHI 1914-1918 WAR MEMORIAL
Additional Information: Son of Mr. and Mrs. Edward James Abbatt, of Heversham, Cumbria.
SLINGSBY, HENRY LAURENCE. Rank: Captain. Date of Death: 11/08/1917. Age: 24.
Regiment/Service: King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry. 2nd Bn. attd (Adjt) 10th Bn. Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry. Awards: M C.
Grave Reference: G. 4. Cemetery: ADINKERKE MILITARY CEMETERY
Additional Information: Son of William Cecil and Alison Slingsby, of St. Anthonys, Heversham, Westmorland. Went to France 14th Aug, 1914.
WHITESIDE, CARROL HERBERT MARSTON. Rank: Captain. Date of Death: 01/11/1916. Age: 24.
Regiment/Service: Border Regiment. 7th Bn.
Grave Reference: I. B. 20. Cemetery: GROVE TOWN CEMETERY, MEAULTE
Additional Information: Son of The Rev. Joseph Whiteside M.A., and Esther, his wife, of Plumstead Rectory, Aldborough, Norwich. Born at West Hartlepool. Educated at Heversham School, Westmorland. B.A. Keble College, Oxford. Asst. Master, Stubbington House, Fareham, Hants.

Terrific. Thanks, Kevin. I'll send the link for this thread to the person from the school who contacted me.

HAMILTON JAMES

Second Lieutenant JAMES HAMILTON
4th Bn Border Regiment

James aged 37 was killed in action on 5th November 1916 with the Border Regiment in an attack on the Butte de Warlencourt during the Somme offensive.

He was the son of George a retired H M Customs Officer and Isabella Hamilton, of Middlesbrough.

His parents can be found on the 1911 census at 4 Stanley Terrace Southfield Road Middlesbrough

James can be found on the 1901 census residing with his parents and siblings at 72 Southfield Road Middlesbrough a student aged 21

He joined the Inns of Court Officer Training Corps on September 2nd 1915 and was

commissioned on January 26th 1916 into the Border Regiment B.A., Durham University. M.A., Cambridge University, Honours in Classics, Corpus Christi College.

Born1879 Middlesbrough
WARLENCOURT BRITISH CEMETERY

Note ( I believe he may have been serving with the 5th Border Regiment when KIA maybe one of our Border Regiment experts may confirm this)

regards Ray

Edit just wondered what the Heversham connection was between James and Heversham

Here it is

On the 1911 census James Hamilton can be found a schoolmaster at The Grammar School Heversham Milnthorpe Kendal

Ray

• 8 months later...

Thanks for the info and the link.

I see that someone has "contributed" two photos from my war memorials site to Chamley's story without giving any credit to where he took them from. Not happy about that.

• 11 months later...
Guest Vanderelt

I don't know if this is still relevant, given the original request here for information for the schoolchildren was from last year, but I've stumbled across this thread while researching the above-mentioned Carrol Herbert Marston Whiteside who went to school in Heversham himself and died on the Somme in 1916.

I've recently extensively revised and rewritten the church information/guide leaflet in Plumstead, north Norfolk, where Capt. Whiteside's father was rector at the time and where, as it happens, his son's death has left a considerable mark in the church itself. Given the centenary of his death is next year, I was hoping to follow up on my research into the church by looking into what I could discover about CHMW himself, so as to be able to hopefully place a little information sheet about him adjacent to his memorial plaque there in time for 2016. Inspired by this Remembrance Sunday arriving to compile what I know and what I could unearth, searching for his name online led me here – where by strange coincidence I find that others might want to know a bit more about the man too, so since it's quite a notable commemoration that was made of him down in 'faraway' Norfolk I'm wondering if anyone would find it of interest and if you could still make any use of the little potted biography I've just put together...?

Carrol H M Whiteside biog.doc

I couldn't include my own photographs in the above Word file as they would push it over the size limit for what I can add to this post, and the photo in the link below is also too big to include the image here, but it shows the chancel of St Michael's, Plumstead, taken from just next to the aforementioned plaque. Apologies for the odd lighting (it was taken last New Year, and all the light comes from the Christmas tree in the sanctuary), but it does show the altar, reredos and candlesticks quite well, plus the litany desk can be glimpsed in the foreground – http://oi68.tinypic.com/mjv85k.jpg

And here is the plaque itself:

1zv7i80.jpg

Thanks to all who have put pictures online of war memorials, cemetaries and so forth. The below links may complement the biography above with more photos, etc.:
http://warmemorials.myfastforum.org/archive/st-john-s-church-helsington__o_t__t_3072.html (CHMW's is the indistinct second-bottom name on the memorial in Berenice's first picture)[Broken links removed]
http://www.ww1cemeteries.com/ww1frenchextension/grovetown.htm (information and photos of Grove Town)

http://www.1914-1918.net/ccs.htm (information on the Casualty Clearing Stations)
http://www.everymanremembered.org/profiles/soldier/31920/ (remembrance profile at the Royal British Legion's site; "Plumstead Rectory" is a misnomer)

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/31920/WHITESIDE,%20CARROL%20HERBERT%20MARSTON (Commonwealth War Graves Commission record)

I've recently found that Heversham Grammar School had a war memorial of sorts - The Wilfrid Holmes Memorial Prize.

7572cd68-717f-47e2-8f75-a92af04a0a22.jpg

HOLMES, WILFRID BERTRAM

Date of Death: 20/09/1917

Regiment/Service: Cheshire Regiment, 4th Bn.

Panel Reference: Panel 61 to 63.

Memorial: TYNE COT MEMORIAL

Additional Information: Son of William Casson Holmes and Eleanor Holmes, of Station House, Sandside, Westmorland.

• 4 years later...

It is six years since the original post by Berenice and you may be pleased to know that the Friends Of Linthorpe Cemetery & Nature Reserve  have enabled the raising and refurbishment of the Hamilton family memorial cross. It bears the name of James his brothers and parents.

A few before photos. Will post afters when work completed.

DSC00174.JPG

DSC00173.JPG

DSC00172.JPG

DSC00171.JPG

Thank you, Edward, and I'm looking forward to seeing the 'after' photos.

I may as well add here that I tracked down another Heversham Grammar School-related memorial - The Heversham Grammar School War Memorial Trust was founded on 1st August 1921; by the following year, sufficient money had been raised by Heversham Grammar School Old Boys, in memory of their Fallen colleagues, for an area of land known as Tristrams Field to be purchased. This land had been rented since 1885 for use as the school's playing field; in 1926, a new pavilion was built. In 1984, following a merger, the school became 'Dallam School,' and, in 2010, the HGS OB War Memorial Trust transferred Tristrams Field and the pavilion to Dallam School Trust.

On 12th February 2012, the pavilion was burnt out by fire, and a replacement built.

IMG_0129.jpg

e41da455-8920-4f3b-9ce5-76bc4bade300.jpg

e6b962ac-bf2b-4fbb-b44a-ef153610871a.jpg

Edited by BereniceUK

Hi All,

I came across this thread whilst searching for information relating to John Sisson who came from Heversham and also appears upon the H.G.S. war memorial.

For me this has also revealed a most poignant connection upon the memorial, something which only becomes apparent when the details of the named casualties are extended (many thanks to Bernice). 

Looking at the list of names something immediately struck me, there appeared to be an error (duplication) in the service details attached to two of the names: James Moore and John Sisson, then I noticed that their service numbers are consecutive 58136 for John Sisson and 58137 for James Moore--also their ages are identical at 18 years old. Thus it would appear

that these two lads must have been at school together and were more than likely best friends.  Clearly they must have enlisted together, done their training together and once completed were both posted to the 2/4th York and Lancaster Regiment on the same day--hence the consecutive service numbers. Sadly they died together in the same action on 2nd September, 1918.

Amazingly service papers for both James and John can be found on Ancestry--these confirm that they each received notices from the Ministry of National Service to present themselves at the Crown and Mitre Hotel, Carlisle, on the 14th January,1918 at no later than 9.00 a.m.  Their papers also confirm that they each served with the 53rd (Y.S.) Bn Training Reserve of the Manchester Regt. at Kinmel Park, they were both transferred to the York and Lancaster Regt on 16/8/18 and posted to the 2/4th Bn of that regiment in the field. At this time they were each allotted their consecutive Regimental numbers 58136 and 58137.  Some 18 days later they were both classed as 'missing in action'--John was subsequently found and has a grave in Vaux Hill Cemetery, France, whereas James's body was never found and he is thus commemorated by name on the Vis-en-Artois Memorial, France.

A very sad tale indeed!!

Robert