Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Bruce - 2nd Battalion Highland Light Infantry, Lahore 1930-35

darylr

Hi,

I was hoping someone out there could help me with some info on my grand uncle William Bruce.

I recently came across a pic of him in his uniform, and saw that he was a sergeant in the 2nd battalion, Highland light infantry. I found a record for him on Ancestry last night which gave his army no. 3300772, and that he qualified for a service medal in India.

I know he went out there after he got married in 1928, and his son died in Lahore, in 1933 aged 3.

What I'd like to know is what was he doing there at that time ? I have a letter written by his brother in Glasgow asking

him will he be spending 5 years in Iraq dated June 1931.

Can anyone help ?

Regards,

Daryl

• 2 weeks later...

The FIBIS Fibiwiki has a page "74th Regiment of Foot", an earlier name of the 2nd Battalion Highland Light Infantry

There is a link to a History of the Regiment 1919-1959. This is a large pdf download, I have not looked at it recently so do not know if it is still an active link.

You can read about the medals which were awarded in this page from North East Medals

http://www.northeastmedals.co.uk/britishguide/india_general_service_1908.htm

If he was awarded a medal he would have been involved in some sort of military operations, most likely on the North West Frontier of India, but most of the time he would have been performing garrison duties. Therre would probably be some details in the History.

Cheers

Maureen