Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gallipoli casualties--two brothers buried at sea

BottsGreys

May be of interest:

Last night I was reading the online service record of No. 555 Pte. Joseph Horrocks, 11th Bn, AIF. He was wounded in the left leg 20/05/15 at Gallipoli and was transferred out to the hospital ship Soudan, where his leg was amputated above the knee. In spite of these efforts, he died and was buried at sea that same day. He was 22 years old. He was the elder son of James and Margaret Horrocks.

In the Joseph Horrocks file, I saw a letter written by his mother in which she referenced the death of her other son, No. 298 Pte. Edwin James Horrocks, 28th Bn, AIF. His service record shows that on 17/09/15 at Gallipoli he suffered a wound to the abdomen which effected the lumbar region of the spine. He was transferred to the hospital ship Somali the same day. He died the following day, 18/09/15, and was buried at sea the same day. Age 20. Both brothers are listed on the Lone Pine Memorial.

I am curious if anyone else during the course of their research has found multiple family members being buried at sea after dying on hospital ships? (And no, I'm not looking to start a new list) ^_^

Chris