Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private James Armer

BereniceUK

Please excuse my ignorance - did his being in a Labour Company mean that he was in the Royal Enginerers? If not, does anyone have any suggestions as to where the reference to his being in the Royal Engineers came from?

His CWGC record -ARMER, JAMES

Service No: 41593

Date of Death: 03/12/1917

Regiment/Service: Cheshire Regiment 21st Bn. transf. to (37201) 63rd Coy. Labour Corps

Grave Reference P. VI. C. 3A.

Cemetery ST. SEVER CEMETERY EXTENSION, ROUEN

Additional Information: Son of Henry and Ellen Armer, of Bank House, Glasson Dock.

IMG_4083.jpg

As far as I am aware the Labour Corps were not Royal Engineers.

Soldiers who were wounded or too old were sometimes transferred into the Labour Corps. They built/repaired roads etc. sometimes quite close to the front and therefore prone to shell fire. They were expected and did fight on occasion.

Maybe the family wanted to add some 'gloss' to his career, as the Labour Corps were not the most glamourous of units.

Dave

Strange one this, SDGW has him listed as 37201 Labour Corps formerly 24418 Border Regt. When I enter the number 41593 it shows several men with this number but none appertain to James Armer. The reference to the REs is, I think as Dave has said a bit of "gloss" or being given wrong information at the time and not knowing any different had this wording put on his memorial. Ralph.

Strange one this, SDGW has him listed as 37201 Labour Corps formerly 24418 Border Regt. When I enter the number 41593 it shows several men with this number but none appertain to James Armer. The reference to the REs is, I think as Dave has said a bit of "gloss" or being given wrong information at the time and not knowing any different had this wording put on his memorial. Ralph.

Possibly Armer himself told friends and relatives in his letters home that he was in the R.E. to add a bit of glamour, especially if he'd previously been in a regular regiment.

On the face of it, the Border Regiment would make more sense than the Cheshire Regiment as both Glasson Dock and Forton are in North Lancashire, to the south of Lancaster.

Berenice. Have a word with Terry Denham, the CWGC entry for the Cheshires MAY be a typo error , sorted one out for me the other day toot sweet. Ralph.

The medal index card for James Armer on Ancestry has Cheshire Regiment (41593) & Labour Corp (37201)

Victory & British War Medal.

Mick.