Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

14th Battalion Hampshire Regiment

Andy Shaw

Hi,

Does any one have access to the above Battalion Diary ? looking for period from 1st October to end of November 1916 when they were deployed on the Somme

Thanks for looking

Andy

• 4 months later...

I can't find the diary online either. I'm trying to find information about my wife's great, great uncle, Patrick Coyne 12742. I've found that he was born in Newbridge, Co Kildare, lived in Canterbury and enlisted in Portsmouth. According to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, he died on 7/4/18, was in the 14th Battalion, Hampshire Regiment, and is buried in Abbeville Communal Cemetary Extension. However, I believe the 14th Hampshires were disbanded in France on 22/3/18. Does this mean that he died of wounds received before this date, or of illness? (I'm guessing here, obviously.) If anyone is able to throw any light on this, or on what his unit was doing around that time, I would be grateful.

Hi

The War Diary is available from the N.A. for just over three quid bit it only goes to February 1918.

I cannot post alink but if you go to

www.arcre.com/wdsearch

And put 14 Hampshire in the search engine you will find it

Regards

Graeme

Thanks Graeme, that's especially useful as I can use the same link to get the war diary for the 27th Northumberland Fusiliers (4th Tyneside Irish). My grandad, who was wounded, and his younger brother, who was one of the many they had killed, went over the top with them 98 years ago today.