Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identification help

BFG

Greetings (from a new user)

The photograph is of my grandfather Arthur Ernest Hunt.

He was a railway telegraphist based in Bristol (lived in Cheltenham).

I understand that he was recruited with many others from the railways.

He was on the RMT Aragon that was sunk off Alexandria 30/12/1917.

Rescued by the Japanese using a boat hook 'pulled them out of the water dead and alive'.

He was destined for Palestine and 'swam' in the Dead Sea.

He returned to the railway after the war.

I would like to know whether those Royal Engineers, who were responsible for the Signal Service, were assembled in units or distributed to support other units.

I want to understand whether he would have been attached to, say, the Gloucestershire Regiment.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Graham

post-106693-0-91653400-1391807858_thumb.

RE signallers were generally members of RE Signal companies that provided the communications at formation level down from GHQ through to Brigade and down to individual units ( such as Infantry Bn. or ArtilleryBattery).

Infantry, Artillery and Cavalry units had there own signals sections with responsible for the units communications beyween unit HQ and the subunits such as Companies, Squadrons and Batterys including Forward Observation Officers in RFA and RHA brigades.

I dont think that RE Signallers were formally attached to an individual unit in WW1butould have worked with the unit's signals section in maintaining comms. between Brigade and unit HQ.

Later in the war RAF signallers were attached to RGA units for radio communications between battery and Observation aircraft.

bill

I think the only Gloucester Reg to serve other than in France was 7th Service Battalion. 13th Western Division 39th Division.

Landed Gallipoli July 1915 and moved to Palestine January 1916

Thanks to all so far but I would like some confirmation re his regiment etc because I have no hard information.

Is the hat badge a Royal Engineer's badge?

What do the arm bands signify.

The hat is unusual would it have been used in action?

I have been scouring POSTCARDS but not yet found anything like this uniform.

Thanks

Front badge looks very R.E. to me. The side badge is a tantalising view with a Gurkha rifles etc feeling in my water

Or even this, Gurkha Signallers?

post-40034-0-45566300-1391974112_thumb.j

The arm bands look to be the blue & white messengers bands, similar to those worn by DR's in WWII. They were used during the Great war period. I should add that this is a great picture.

Definitely looks like an RE badge to me; the armbands also confirm that he was a signaller. IIRC these were white over light blue in colour.

All the best

Steve

I believe the armbands were known as brassards. Cap badge is almost definitely Royal Engineers.

Is the "side badge" not a feather?

Steve.

• 4 years later...

Here I am again still on the trail!

I have found out which of my relatives had his medals and I have some further information :-

His number was 321631 and the medals show he was a Pioneer.

I have found his medal issue record showing he had the Great War Medal and the George V 1914-1918 medal.

Can anyone identify from this number whether he was with the 96th Light Railway Company which is still my best lead.

Are there any war diaries or other sources I should pursue?

Many thanks for this. 

A E Hunt.jpg

Edited by BFG

17 hours ago, BFG said:

Here I am again still on the trail!

I have found out which of my relatives had his medals and I have some further information :-

His number was 321631 and the medals show he was a Pioneer.

I have found his medal issue record showing he had the Great War Medal and the George V 1914-1918 medal.

Can anyone identify from this number whether he was with the 96th Light Railway Company which is still my best lead.

Are there any war diaries or other sources I should pursue?

Many thanks for this. 

A E Hunt.jpg

It is best to post this query in the “Soldiers” section of the forum with the man’s name and Corps (RE) as the title of the thread.  It will draw attention more quickly there.

• 4 months later...