Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Theletterwriter

Yes, shame about the music. best viewed with sound off.

OK, that is a personal view, but a strongly held one. I lasted about 20 seconds before muting.

Keith

Yes, shame about the music. best viewed with sound off.

OK, that is a personal view, but a strongly held one. I lasted about 20 seconds before muting.

Keith

I'm with you all the way on that one Keith. I didn't even make 20 seconds. Thanks to Theletterwriter for posting. I'd quite forgotten what the battlecruisers lost at Jutland looked like.

Pete.

I enjoyed this and thank you for posting, but it is always sad to remember that some of these men were in truth almost boys.

Anne

I think the picture at 1:40 isn't one of the lost battlecruisers, but a reversed picture of the New Zealand, as modified with extra upper deck quarters for Admiral Jellicoe on his 1919 Naval requirements assessment.

Regards,

MikB

There's also a painting of what looks to be a Queen Elizabeth/R class firing salvoes @ 1:49.

The second art work @ 1:56 looks to show New Zealand passing Queen Mary's pall.

I enjoyed this and thank you for posting, but it is always sad to remember that some of these men were in truth almost boys.

Anne

In total agreement Anne : on the other side of the spectrum, a significant number of men were in their mid to late 40's and at least one in his 50's. It shows, yet again, that it is not just those who lost their lives who were affected but also the families they left behind.

Douglas

• 6 months later...
  • 4 years later...
On ‎07‎/‎02‎/‎2014 at 12:02, Theletterwriter said:

Interesting little video from youtube with some great photographs about the men and battlecruisers lost at Jutland.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYpuxaDqG2Y

Hello Douglas,

I am hoping that by quoting you on this post it may send you a notification. I am hoping to speak with you regarding your Great Grandfather, Dugald Gillies Wood. I am from Kinning Park Church.

Best wishes,

Graham

grahamfuge@hotmail.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Graham

Good to have made contact with you. Hope your quest to track down other relatives is a success.

Regards

Douglas