Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Athlone, 1901

barleyfield

Thank you Dave, for posting the link, possibly Cork district as the Longfords are Cork district and Longford further north from Athlone ..

Tricia

If you're after a particular name the Leitrim-Roscommon.com website list the 1,000 odd names/heads of households for Athlone Townland listed in the 1901 census including the barracks. Just type Athlone in the search box for Townland.

http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/1901census/census.shtml

Mick.

Thank you Mick, I found him in 1901 census in his mothers house in athlone. Occupation; soldier. I haven't a date of birth (approx. 1872), so thought would narrow down my search for him if I knew regiment. I believe he fought in 2nd Boer war and thought he would be called up for the first world war.

What was his name?

Henry Chambers,

Another member found two Henry Chambers in medal cards, I could discount one. Other was private 315886 with Connaught Rangers but 28 in 1919.

He also found a H. Chambers Corporal 3556 with R. Inniskilling Fusiliers sent home invalidated in 1899 in the South African Medal Roll

There is a Henry Chambers on Findmypast, who may be your man. The record includes 4 pages of images of his attestation papers

Calculated year of birth: 1874

Born: St Marys, Athlone, Westmeath

Attestation date: 24 February 1892 at Galway

Attestation corps: Connaught Rangers

Attestation soldier number: 4125

Saw service in South Africa 1899-1900, Gunshot wound.

Family members named

Father George

Mother Elizabeth

Brothers John, Robert, William and George

Sisters Mary, Lizzie and (I think) Frances

There is a Henry Chambers on Findmypast, who may be your man. The record includes 4 pages of images of his attestation papers

Calculated year of birth: 1874

Born: St Marys, Athlone, Westmeath

Attestation date: 24 February 1892 at Galway

Attestation corps: Connaught Rangers

Attestation soldier number: 4125

Saw service in South Africa 1899-1900, Gunshot wound.

Family members named

Father George

Mother Elizabeth

Brothers John, Robert, William and George

Sisters Mary, Lizzie and (I think) Frances

That's him! Thank you so much Mark! I really appreciate you taking your time on this. His brother John joined Connaught Rangers in

March the same year. You d wonder why they didn't make journey together. Thanks again Mark!

You're welcome. Corisande posted the link to the papers (above). There's more detail in the papers about him and his service.

Do you have access to the Jourdain and Fraser's 3 volumes on the Connaught Rangers? If not, I could do a look up.

I have a personal interest in the Rangers. My grandfather (pictured in my avatar) joined the 4 Bn Leinster Regt in 1912 at Maryborough. Mobilised in 1914. Was later transferred to 6th Bn Connaught Rangers in March 1918, and was caught up in the Spring Offensive. He remained in the Rangers until 1922, when he transferred to the Suffolk Regt which he served with in WWII. While he was in the British Army, his older brother was a member of Sinn Fein and took part in the Easter Rising at Enniscorthy.

You're welcome. Corisande posted the link to the papers (above). There's more detail in the papers about him and his service.

Do you have access to the Jourdain and Fraser's 3 volumes on the Connaught Rangers? If not, I could do a look up.

I have a personal interest in the Rangers. My grandfather (pictured in my avatar) joined the 4 Bn Leinster Regt in 1912 at Maryborough. Mobilised in 1914. Was later transferred to 6th Bn Connaught Rangers in March 1918, and was caught up in the Spring Offensive. He remained in the Rangers until 1922, when he transferred to the Suffolk Regt which he served with in WWII. While he was in the British Army, his older brother was a member of Sinn Fein and took part in the Easter Rising at Enniscorthy.

Sorry Mark, didn't see all of your post . I'd be very grateful if you did look up in the Jourdain and Fraser books. Never heard of them .

Your grandfather lived a full life, hope you got to know him. They lived in complicated times .I presume you know there are witness statements online at bureauofmilitaryhistory.ie

Tricia

I took a look at Henry's medals. He was entitled to the South Africa medal with clasp for the Relief of Ladysmith. He was wounded on 15 December 1899 at Colenso.

Lieut Col Jourdain and Edward Fraser wrote the history of the Connaught Rangers in 1924. Three hefty volumes which have been reprinted by N&M. Volume 1 of the regimental history goes into some detail about the events building up to and including the battle on the 15 December. Henry isn't named, so far as I can see, which isn't unusual given his rank. On the day 155 officers, NCOs and men were killed, wounded or missing. Of these 28 NCOs and men were killed and a 110 were wounded. The book has a number of nice photos including the battalion on parade taken at Athlone on 30 October 1899 and one of the battalion landing at Durban on 1st December 1889

Sadly my grandfather died before I was born. I have found his brother's witness statement and IRA pension records. Very complicated times.

All the best

Mark

Tricia

I took a look at Henry's medals. He was entitled to the South Africa medal with clasp for the Relief of Ladysmith. He was wounded on 15 December 1899 at Colenso.

Lieut Col Jourdain and Edward Fraser wrote the history of the Connaught Rangers in 1924. Three hefty volumes which have been reprinted by N&M. Volume 1 of the regimental history goes into some detail about the events building up to and including the battle on the 15 December. Henry isn't named, so far as I can see, which isn't unusual given his rank. On the day 155 officers, NCOs and men were killed, wounded or missing. Of these 28 NCOs and men were killed and a 110 were wounded. The book has a number of nice photos including the battalion on parade taken at Athlone on 30 October 1899 and one of the battalion landing at Durban on 1st December 1889

Sadly my grandfather died before I was born. I have found his brother's witness statement and IRA pension records. Very complicated times.

All the best

Mark

Thank you Mark again, best of luck with your research.

John was Henry's older brother. I was on Ancestry a few years back and obtained John's record then.

Tricia