Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

9th Gordon Highlanders Medals

Jockbhoy67

I have come into possession a set of medals which include a Military Medal along with a mentioned in dispatches certificate belonging to S/4751 Private John Blincow of the 9th Gordon Highlanders. I have found his Medal Index Card online which makes no mention of him receiving a Military Medal, the London Gazette from the 14th of September 1916 however states he was awarded the Military Medal, a cliping from the Aberdeen Evening Post from September 1916 also mentions him as being a recipient.The mention in dispatches certificate has he was mentioned in a dispatch on the 30th of April 1916, could it be possible he was awarded it for this mention in dispatches and Is it possible to find out why someone was mentioned in dispatches?. included pictures of the MID and the newspaper clipping

Any help with this it would be very much appreciated.

2wqcs1t.jpg

2vm6hk2.jpg

Just an observation (I know very little about Medals and MID etc)

The 9th Gordons were the pioneer Battalion and in the late winter 1915 and early Spring of 1916 they were in the Loos-Hulluch region working on trench construction (a new front line closer to the German lines). In May one company was working on Tunnelling. (Life of A Regiment p76)

Chris

included pictures of the MID

Your MID document, is signed by Winston Churchill as the Secretary of State for War.

Regards,

LF

Your MID document, is signed by Winston Churchill as the Secretary of State for War.

Regards,

LF

It's a printed signature unfortunately - identical on every MID, eg:

http://stannesoldswan.weebly.com/uploads/3/8/8/3/3883993/9645721.jpg?608

I did notice it was Winston Churchill, but thought it was probably a facsimile signature as mentioned by Andrew. Thanks to 4th Gordons for the info on the 9th being at Hulluch, much appreciated. Anyone have any ideas why its not mentioned on the Medal Index Card that he was awarded a M.M. or is that common?

There was a separate card index covering the Military Medal which can be accessed via the National Archives (annoyingly only the front of the cards are available). It was not part of the batch of Medal Issue Cards which were transferred to the Western Front Association and then scanned by Ancestry.

The MM cards give Surname; Christian Names; Rank; Corps; Regimental Number; Date of Gazette; Registered Paper; and Schedule Number. They are often stamped with the Theatre of War ie FRANCE

I believe that the MM cards are now being held by Forum Member Howard Williamson, who is using them to produce a major reference work on the Military Medal which will include surviving citations. Most of the original recommendations were lost in a fire at the Imperial War Museum Reading Room during the 1960/70s but some of the MM cards do have additional information of the back. Unfortunately, I do not think that Howard is running a look up service, so we will have to wait for the publication of his Book/Books later this year?

Hope this helps

Sepoy

There was a separate card index covering the Military Medal which can be accessed via the National Archives (annoyingly only the front of the cards are available). It was not part of the batch of Medal Issue Cards which were transferred to the Western Front Association and then scanned by Ancestry.

The MM cards give Surname; Christian Names; Rank; Corps; Regimental Number; Date of Gazette; Registered Paper; and Schedule Number. They are often stamped with the Theatre of War ie FRANCE

I believe that the MM cards are now being held by Forum Member Howard Williamson, who is using them to produce a major reference work on the Military Medal which will include surviving citations. Most of the original recommendations were lost in a fire at the Imperial War Museum Reading Room during the 1960/70s but some of the MM cards do have additional information of the back. Unfortunately, I do not think that Howard is running a look up service, so we will have to wait for the publication of his Book/Books later this year?

Hope this helps

Sepoy

Hello Sepoy, Thats very good news to hear, I'll look forward to the release of his book, it sounds as if its just what i am looking for.! many thanks for the information.

• 1 year later...

The dating of the Haig MID of 30th April suggests to me that the event in which John Blincow was recognised was probably on the 27th April when the 9th Gordons were subjected to a Gas attack near Hulluch. Later entries in the War diary do not expand on why the MID was awarded.

see war diary for the 27th.

post-95457-0-63739900-1446122475_thumb.j

• 4 years later...
  • Admin

I've removed your email address and telephone number from public view, it's never a good idea to put personal detail like that on a public  forum. Members can contact each other via personal messages.

Michelle 

• 10 months later...

Hi.  My Grandfather was called John Blincow and won a medal.  I wonder if this is the same man.  I would nice more details about the medal and what it was received for.  Many thanks.  

A scan of John Blincow's MM Index Card at the National Archives ref. WO372/23/81001 - note its unique schedule number 31847:

It was a backdated ('retrospective') award for around March-May 1916. 

It was possibly connected to his MiD at the end of April, although no other Gordon MiDs in that LG seemed to get an MM.

John's MM is listed in Howard Williamson's book on MM Index Card annotations, but it does not give any reason for the award.

His MiD is listed in the LG of 15 June 1916 p.5950, which were for for 'gallant and distinguished conduct in the field':

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29623/supplement/5950

The relevant 9th Bn. War Diary can be viewed here: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14053621

1911703320_ScreenShot2021-04-13at23_11_59.jpg.5e5345661890797d3230c33f15c964be.jpg

Thank you, my Mum always said he won a medal for dragging another soldier to safety in a mustard gas attack.  He passed away at 47 with bad lungs caused from mustard gas in the war.  My Mum was very proud of him.  I have a wonderful picture of him in his uniform.  I will post it up soon.   Nice to put a picture to the person.  Lydia 

That would be great to see Lydia. Perhaps the OP will then post photos of his medals.

The war diary may mention a gas attack around March-April 1916 if you download it: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14053621

Edit: see the entry for 27th April 1916 in the WD page posted by oxlade134 further up which mentions a gas attack.

Edited by Ivor Anderson

• 9 months later...

732E4B4C-28B9-4114-B95E-1C96C63FD5E2.jpeg

In response to messages from last hear about my Grandpa John Blincow.  This is his picture taken in 1916.   I would love to see a picture of the medal that he received if anyone has it.  Many thanks 

On 04/02/2014 at 16:14, Jockbhoy67 said:

I have come into possession a set of medals which include a Military Medal along with a mentioned in dispatches certificate belonging to S/4751 Private John Blincow of the 9th Gordon Highlanders. I have found his Medal Index Card online which makes no mention of him receiving a Military Medal, the London Gazette from the 14th of September 1916 however states he was awarded the Military Medal, a cliping from the Aberdeen Evening Post from September 1916 also mentions him as being a recipient.The mention in dispatches certificate has he was mentioned in a dispatch on the 30th of April 1916, could it be possible he was awarded it for this mention in dispatches and Is it possible to find out why someone was mentioned in dispatches?. included pictures of the MID and the newspaper clipping

Any help with this it would be very much appreciated.

2wqcs1t.jpg

2vm6hk2.jpg

Hiya. Would you be able to put a photo up of John Blincow medal please.  I have just added a picture of him further down the story.  Many thanks.  

22 hours ago, Lydia Wenbourne said:

Hiya. Would you be able to put a photo up of John Blincow medal please.  I have just added a picture of him further down the story.  Many thanks.  

Sorry I don't have the medals now, I traded them for another set,  If memory serves me right i sent some images of the medals to email address removed

you could try there.

• Admin

Please use private messaging to communicate email addresses.