Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Granatloch

mcderms

Does anyone have or know where I can get a description of the Granatloch AKA Leipzig Salient as it was in 1916. I know that it is/was a quarry and was heavily fortified but how, how big was it and what didi it look like on or around 1/7/16?

Seek out Ralph Whithead. He is all knowing in this regard.

It's extensively referenced throught the literature, plenty of photos in its current state on the forum too.

I can provide part of the answer while at work, it was described by the history of the 121st Reserve Regiment as being a clay mine bordered by high poplars with a dimension of approximately 60 meters long and 40 meters wide.

I will need to review some files I have at home and hopefully will be able to do this later tonight. It was captured and relinquished by the Germans initially and then recaptured on the night of 5 October 1914 by the II/121st Reserve in a night attack.

Ralph

There are surprisingly few photos taken or possibly identified as the Granatloch (Leipzig Redoubt). I am sure some exist but they could be in private hands or not properly identified. In my search I came across 3 photos that give some idea of the area, the two together show the view looking out from the area of the Granatloch toward Authuille Wood I believe and the companion photo shows a trench just behind the Granatloch during the preparation bombardment. The following photo gives some idea of the extent of the German trenches prior to the attack.

While the last photo looks like a well built trench the materials used to form the trench walls and floor often became obstacles int heir own right after a serious bombardment. As such orders had been issued to use pegged reeds to hold up the walls as these caused the smallest disturbance after being damaged by shellfire.

I am sorry about the quality of the photos, the originals are not any better. I hope this helps somewhat in your research.

Ralph

post-4-1097543694.jpg