Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Fusiliers 12th Bn. 27th Nov 1916

shaymen

Can anyone enlighten me as to movements of 12th Bn. Royal Fusiliers on 27th November 1916.

Just looking for bit of information or war diary extract would be very nice.. ;)

Thanks

Glyn

That was the day Felix Reuben Barltrop, a 12RF soldier, was killed in action. Are you researching him, an Essex man, in connection with your work on Stansted casualties?

On that day 12RF were manning Trenches in the 14Bis Sub-Sector north of Lens, and north-east of Loos. I have a copy of the War Diary and images I have taken of the approx location of those trenches on the west side of what is now the D947 - and a photograph I took of Pte Barltrop's grave in Philosophe.

If you let me know your particular interest (12RF was my father's battalion and I have been researching the unit for many years) I may have other info relevant to your research.

Regards,

Barry

Hi Barry

Blimey, spot on. but not for any Stansted research. I am helping put together a bit about each soldier from the Henham War Mem for the local school.

I have also been told (yet to research) that he won both DCM and MM,not sure!! Would you know anything about that.

Thanks very much for the information, can I be cheeky and ask for copy of grave photo and war diary extract for that day. I am not going into great detail but appreciate any help

Regards

Glyn

Think there's a bit of confusion, as DCM was awarded to L/Cpl W.J. Barltrop(p) spelt incorrectly KRRC.

Hi Glyn,

Regarding the DCM, Pte F R Barltrop 12 RF did not have gallantry medals (why do I feel churlish saying that when the man gave his life and may have carried out selfless acts of gallantry?).

You will have the usual CWGC/SDGW information. Other info that you probably have: FRB, born in 1882, was 34 years old when he died. He had married Mary Hobbs in the Spring of 1915 - just before he left for France with 12RF. Another member of his family, Ruby who was 4 years younger than Felix and was also a Royal Fusilier in 10RF, was killed in France near Monchy-le-Preux a few months after Felix, on the 10th April 1917. Both are remembered on the Thaxted War Memorial (St John the Baptist) and in the Book of Remembrance at the Thaxted Guildhall.

If you PM me with your email address, I'll send copies of pages from the War Diary and a photograph of Felix Barltrop's grave at Philosophe.

Regards,

Barry

Hi Barry

Thanks for all the info, much appreciated.

PM on its way

Glyn

Hi Glyn,

War Diary pages and photograph of his grave have been emailed to you.

I should have added that Felix Barltrop was in No 1 Company of 12RF (source - 1 Company Roll of Honour dated December 1916).

Let me know if you need any further info.

Regards,

Barry

Thanks Barry, all received,

Top draw stuff mate

Cheers

Glyn