Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Using the Lewis gun as a fixed weapon

towisuk

A nice film but you need to change the thread title as it is NOT a Lewis gun on a fixed mounting but rather on a flexible Scarff ring mount as used in aircraft by observers/air gunners. A fixed mount would be something like the over wing mount as used on Nieuports, Martinsydes and SE 5a s (and other fighters)

A nice film but you need to change the thread title as it is NOT a Lewis gun on a fixed mounting but rather on a flexible Scarff ring mount as used in aircraft by observers/air gunners. A fixed mount would be something like the over wing mount as used on Nieuports, Martinsydes and SE 5a s (and other fighters)

Noted !...but it is fixed to an aircraft....via the scarf ring....

regards

Tom

Brilliant video, can I just say what a lovely watch he is wearing at 3 mins 17 secs!

Don

The quality on some of these films is excellent Don, like the one on this topic,....

regards

Tom

Noted !...but it is fixed to an aircraft....via the scarf ring....

regards

Tom

But not used as a fixed weapon - that's the whole point of the Scarff ring the gun is moveable and it's mounted not fixed.

But not used as a fixed weapon - that's the whole point of the Scarff ring the gun is moveable and it's mounted not fixed.

It's fixed to the aircraft...!! it doesn't fly off on its own.....

Tom

Standard definition of WW1 (and for that matter WW2) aircraft armament is fixed gun(s) firing on a fixed direction relative to the aircraft fuselage (usually but not always straight ahead) used by the pilot, moveable gun(s) on rotatable and elevating mounting (eg a Scarff) used by observer and/or gunner(s). Fixed weapon defines the fixed direction of fire not the portability. Vickers and Lewises were sometimes set up in the trenches to fire in a pre set fixed direction (useful at night time in a defensive situation) and would be referred to as fixed weapons this is what your thread title implies your video is about

The point Centurion is quite correctly making is that this is a flexible Lewis mounting, not fixed. In a fixed mounting the gun is fixed to the aircraft in a rigid position and aimed by moving the aircraft.

Regards

TonyE

Yawn......!!!!

regards

Tom

The quality on some of these films is excellent Don, like the one on this topic,....

regards

Tom

Tom, I was making an observation from the video on this topic. As much as I like mountings for Lewis guns I have to admit I am a little more partial to First World War wrist watches ;)

Don

HI,

Are these the mountings also put in the cab roof of lorries and other transports.

The Royal Navy Reserve (Trawler Section) had fixed mountings, well thats what they thought?.

Regards Charles