Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

99th Siege Battery - Royal Garrison Artillery

GrahamC

Hi pals

:poppy: Gnr. 151509 George CALEY, one of my Buxton Memorial lads, Died of wounds on 28 September 1917 and is buried in Ypres Reservoir Cemetery.

I was wondering if anyone has the History or War Diary of the Battery for this time so I can include details of where he was engaged at the time of his death - I am guessing The Battle of Polygon Wood, but a more precise location would be helpful.

Any extra info. about this man would also help, if anything can be deduced from his Service No. etc. His Service Papers are not available but his MIC suggests he was posted to France after 1915, as he is not eligible for the 1914-15 Star.

As always, all assistance gratefully received.

Graham

Graham,

His number indicates he was conscripted/mobilised at the end of March 1917 and being first sent to No.4 Depot, South Camp, Ripon, arriving a day either side of the 29th. He was almost certainly an original member of 418th Sge Bty which went out on the 20th Aug 1917 and was split up with one section going to the 99th. The section joined the 99th around the 27th Aug so unfortunately he was only there about a month being being wounded and dying.

Kevin

Many thanks for that, Kevin, just need to know where he was fighting - presumably, being buried in Ypres Reservoir Cem. he would have died at a field ambulance station, so would have been wounded not long before dying of his wounds.

Thanks again

Graham

Graham,

99 siege were within 5th Army, XIX Corps Heavy Artillery and are shown as being allocated to B Group on the 8th of Sept'17 which was part of a Double Bomardment Group. This Double Group comprised 48th and 88th HAG's under command of 77th HAG HQ. Sometime before the 22nd Sept'17, i don't know when, they are transferred to 70th HAG which was a counter battery group, 5th Army V Corps.

I am as certain as i can be they were still with this Group at the time of his injury and have added a little map giving the battery position which i hope is of use.

The 70th HAG ( 70th Brigade RGA ) diary, if it is available at Kew, may shed further light on his loss.

post-6041-0-67519900-1391211934_thumb.jp

According to the war diary of 99th Siege Battery on 28 September 1917 Gunners. T L Anstey and G. Caley were killed in action and Cpl J R Procter, Gnr T. Hawkins and W. Holland were wounded near St. Jean.

Again many thanks guys for all that info. Knew there'd be some experts out there.

Any objection to me using the map on my website?

Thanks again

Graham

I feel I may be of help here.

I am researching 95 Siege Battery in which my Grandfather served throughout the Great War. I have copies of 70 HAG War Diaries for the period in which 95 SB were attached namely 24/6/1917 to 8/9/17 but including up to 23/9/1917.

The following are diary entries :-

Sept 9th - 99 SB joined 70 HAG from B Group ( BC Major ROUPELL)

Sept 17 - 217 SB moved from I 3b 7.8 to I 27c 6.6

Sept 22 - 191 SB moved 1 gun to I 4b 7.8

The interesting point is that I 3b 7.8 is the co-ordinate shown as the position of 99 SB in the map above posted by essdee. So the conclusion is that 99 moved into the positions vacated by 217 SB. who moved just across the road running SW-NE through St Jean

I would be grateful if someone could assist with some background.

The 70 HAG War Diaries are lost for the period July 21 to Sept 2 1917. This is particularly frustrating as August was eventful for 95 SB according to a different source. Up to July 21 - 95 SB were positioned at the extreme southern end of the Ypres moat at I 14a 3.0. When the Diary recommenced on Sept 3rd their position is not recorded and the diary is in another's hand and lacks the fine detail of the July diarist.

A source indicates that 95 SB went from their Ypres position to St Jean - the village shown as 99 SB position above, which makes perfect sense as the August advances would dictate this north-easterly movement of heavy guns. Furthermore on August 3rd at St Jean 11 95 SB men were killed on one day but no reason is given as no diaries exist ! !

My question is therefore - does anyone know when 95 SB moved to St Jean as it likely they were part of a cluster of Siege Batteries which could possibly have included 157 & 351 SB. with a change over in early September when 99, 217 & 191 (plus others?) moved into St Jean to replaced them.

Any thoughts gratefully received !

Graham,

Your welcome to use the map as you wish.

A small addendum, the battery was at rest from 28th Aug to 7th Sep'17 which means he was in action for only 3 weeks.

• 3 years later...

As a matter of interest, does anyone know which Siege Battery the other section of 418 went to (i.e. the one that didn't go to 99th)? I have searched online but I haven't been able to find any information.

Thanks,

Anthony

• 2 years later...

Guys, My wife's grandfather (he survived the war) was with the 99th SB during this time and we are tracing his diary in France and Belgium  next month. His diary finishes abruptly in May 2017. I cant seem to find St Jean on any maps, any help to find the position of the 99th SB as per the above map would be appreciated. 

Regards

Chris

Edited by Jack in Oz

Hi Chris,

Apparently it's now called Sint-Jan.

This link should open up on a map from 1917, where you can use the transparency slider to blend it with a modern aerial view.

Regards

Chris

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/f6cfcc27451e4b22a1ac09b4e623d759  This diary will take you a little further (to Nov 1917).

WO 95/5494 says 99 SB was with 42 HAG from 30 Oct 1917 to 29 Dec 1917 and then with 49 HAG for the remainder.  Diaries that should include mention of 99 SB are 

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/84a7efa8db11419e90026a72e6db5890

and https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/800833dbb4854a5eb9a7f7f12c218461

There is a period of 6 days in Oct 1917 when the battery was with 2nd Canadian HAG, that diary will be in the Canadian archives but I've run out of time to find it!

Max

Clk,

Thanks a lot, found it. Leave Oz in 10days to follow my wife's grandfather's WW1 diary around this region.

MaxD, thanks for those links it was a great help and filled in some holes. Have now found out how he got he first MM too.

Regards

Chris

Edited by Jack in Oz

Loose end.  2nd Canadian HAG to which 99 SB was linked 24-30 Oct 1917 does not seem to have a war diary.  99 SB is mentioned as being relieved by 6 Canadian Siege Battery in the higher level Canadian Corps Heavy Artillery diary.  For such a short time the linkage may simply have been communication rather than a physical move. You've probably got enough anyway, wish you a good trip.

Max

Guys,

After some conversation with Paul aka ororkep, I have decided to share some significant events from my wifes Grandads Army Notebook, which unfortunately only covers the period 17 May 1916 to 10 May 1917. But as 99th Siege Battery documentation is very scarce i feel it is better than nothing and may prove useful to some of you.

DOB 8 Jul 1884, enlisted Great Yarmouth Depot 15/11/04 Serv No 21087, Singapore 04/11/05, Ceylon 26/12/07, Nothe Fort, Weymouth 07/11/10, Reserve List 11/11/12

Note Book entries as follows

17/05/16 Sailed from Southampton 

18/05/16 Arrived Le Havre

20/05/16 Dep Le Havre overnight cattle trucks to Hesden (?)

21/05/16 Marched from Hesden to Le Parc

29/05/16 Old London Motor busses to Beaufort

31/05/16 one of their sections returned from 13th(S) Bty RGA after giving them a hand to dig in

02/06/16 Received their guns which are 4.8inch French guns, made in 1882

07/06/16 Moved to St Catherines

14/06/16 Moved to Vlamertinghe

23/06/16 Received 6inch English guns

17/09/16 Entrain for the Somme travelled via Ammies (?)

24/09/16 Arrived at Mametz Woods

19/11/16 Major Boyd made LtCol, Capt Woodward took over

09/12/16 Depart the Somme for Toutincourt

10/12/16 Toutincourt to Hermaville

12/12/16 Now in Arras, but no guns as they are worn out

25/12/16 Guns now firing again, Major Bond took over the battery

03/01/17 Promoted to Cpl backdated to 29/12/16

21/02/17 Went to Gunnery school at Haut**loque (?)

05/05/17 Lieut Fishbourne and Gnr Page killed

10/05/17 BSM Linn and Gnr Brown died of wounds in Hospital

His diary now abruptly ends.

Hope this is of some interest/use to some of you.

Rgds

Chris