Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Houselander

Longboat

William Houselander G/8501 enlisted with the11th Royal West Kent's in June 1915.

His service and pension papers survive which indicate that he was discharged from the Labour Corps 382747 on the 26th January 1918 due to Chronic Bronchitis.

There is an entry staing that "Disabilty aggravated by A.S" which I assume is active service.

He dies of Bronchitis on the 15th April 1920 at Greenwich Military Hospital and is buried at Brockley Cemetery, London but there is no record on the CWGC site.

Any advice on this chap would be much appreciated.

Stuart

Hello Stuart,

How do you know he died of Bronchitis on the 15th April 1920 at Greenwich Military Hospital ?

The documentary evidence you describe, which states that his Disabilty aggravated by A.S, sounds good.

Have you documentary evidence of his death due to Bronchitis? A Death Certificate?

CGM

Have you bought the DC citing Bronchitis? If so then this is a straight-forward case and can be passed on to IFCP to process for you if you wish

How do you know he died of Bronchitis on the 15th April 1920 at Greenwich Military Hospital ?

CGM & Bardess

There is a form in his service records from the Labour Corps dated 11/9/1920, asking for details of his death to which his widow has filled out the relevent details.

I'd thought to get some feedback before obtaining a death certificate to see if it was worth it.

Thanks both

Stuart

Hello Stuart,

It looks like you stand a good chance to me.

Have you got a grave reference?

I've looked through the photos I have, but nothing there. There is a Caroline Houselander, died 1933, aged 65 coming up on the NWKFHS listings, but probably in one of the later plots.

Phil

Hello Phil,

Good to hear from you. I've sent an email what with your knowledge of South London's Cemeteries.

Stuart

Stuart,

I have a feeling that his grave is probably unmarked. Despite being 5 minutes walk away from Lewisham Cemeteries office, they have never been very co-operative with me. Chris (Harley) though has eventually managed to get a working relationship with them and should be able to extract the information.

Phil

Cheers Phil,

I've applied for the death certificate.

Stuart

Can someone send me a reminder about the grave search please

Chris

I've received the death certificate for William Houselander which confirms the cause of death as Broncho Pneumonia and Heart Failure and that he was a "Pensioned Private Labour Corps."

Chris, are you referring to information regarding Lewisham Cemeteries?

If IFCP could advise regarding the next step, if they think its worth pursuing I'd appreciate it.

Stuart

Hi Stuart

Drop me a PM with your e mail address & we will take it from there

Chris