Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt Col Edward Beckford Bevan - help with Medal Card

iristaylor

Could anyone of you helpful people who know a lot about Medal Cards please help explain what this all means.

I know that this man became a Lt Col, I think in the 1 KAR. He seems to have got the DSO but I cant find out anything about this. He also seems to have started off in the Suffolks - he was from near Bury St Edmunds, then gone to the Norfolks. Was he sent with the Norfolks to the KAR or did he leave the Norfolks and go to the KAR?

He is mentioned in this piece: at least I think its him! Anything you can tell me about him would be great. Many thanks, Iris Taylor

The Battle for Jasin, German East Africa, Jan 1915.

The four companies of 1 KAR were steaming down the coast from Mombasa in order to relieve the Jind Infantry in a routine re-deployment, as the coastal area was very unhealthy and British troops, apart from the Arab Rifles, were only located there for short periods. “A” and “C” Companies 1 KAR disembarked at Mgoa just north of the border on 17th January and “B” and “E” Companies disembarked there the next morning at 0630 hours. The companies occupied the nearby Umba Camp.

“C” Company 1 KAR (Lieutenants R.C. Hardingham and E.B. Bevan) was ordered forward at 0530 hours 18th January with two 3 KAR Companies to reinforce Jasin as soon as the signal rockets fired by the defenders were seen. Captain G.J. Giffard 1 KAR was in overall command of these three companies. “A” and “B” Companies 1 KAR were ordered forward at 0930 hours whilst “E” Company was retained in reserve. Lieutenant G.M. Dean 1 KAR was attached to 3 KAR to command a company.

Captain Giffard split “C” Company 1 KAR, sending half the company under Lieutenant Hardingham forward with the two 3 KAR companies, whilst retaining the other half under Lieutenant Bevan as a reserve with himself. The forward companies crossed the River Suba and could see the Jasin sisal factory through the thick bush surrounding them, but they were continuously attacked and outflanked by Schutztruppe companies advancing towards them. Captain Giffard moved forward with his reserve half company to join the firing line and found it running low on ammunition, the troops having fired several squad and section volleys in order to clear the bush around them. The Germans used their superior number of machine guns efficiently to support their riflemen who charged forward to the sound of bugles and cheers, driving all the KAR troops back across the river.

Hi

Not really answering you question, but here are the LG results

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/29011/pages/10820/page.pdf

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/27439/pages/3610/page.pdf

I cannot quite put my hand on the LG entry for the DSO at the moment but found this

London Gazette,

3 June, 1919.- War Office, 3 June, 1919. The King has been graciously pleased, on the occasion of His Majesty's Birthday, to approve of the undermentioned rewards for distinguished service in connection with military operations in East Africa. Dated 3 June, 1919. Awarded the Distinguished Service Order."

BEVAN, EDWARD BECKFORD, Capt. (Temporary Major) (Acting Lieut.– Colonel), Norfolk Regt. and 1/ 2nd King's African Rifles.

As it was a birthday honour I dont think there a citation

Regards,

Graeme

Hi Graeme

This is marvellous! Thank you for a quick reply. So, it looks like he was still part of the Norfolks but was seconded to the KAR? Was the KAR made up of men from different regiments?

Thanks, Iris

Graeme - bit confused - so Edward presumably Gent. for Gentleman, joined the Suffolks in 1902 so was already in the Regulars when War broke out, then he was a Temporary Lieutenant on Oct 22 1914. Medal card shows him as a Captain. Thanks

Unfortunately there was no obit in The Times on 3.3.1925, or after, only the announcement of his death. The print is worn and two of the words, possibly 'eldest son' are unreadable.

BEVAN - On the 2nd March at Ladythorpe, Addleston, Lt.-Col. EDWARD BECKFORD BEVAN, D.S.O., ------ --- of the late Algernon Beckford and Anne Katherine Bevan and beloved husband of Kathleen Bevan, aged 44. East African papers please copy.

Some more London Gazettes which may be useful:-

He was seconded from 6th (Cyclist) Battn. (Territorial) Suffolk Regt., presumably to the King's African Rifles, on 9.9.1914., since the 1916 Army List shows him as being a subaltern in 1st (Central Africa) Battn. King's African Rifles 'Date of 1st Appt. to Force 22.10.1914'

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/28894/pages/7105

Transferred from Suffolk Regt., Territorial Force, to Norfolk Regt., Regular Army, 11.3.1917

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/30443/supplements/13435

Capt. E. B. Bevan, Suff. R. to be temp. Major for service with K. Afr. R. 1.6.1917 (It may seem odd that the gazette lists him as Suff. R. in this notification when he had transferred to the Norfolk R. on 11.3.1917., but, perhaps, the reason for this was that the official notification of his transfer was not published until after this notification of temporary promotion)

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/30323/supplements/10272

Granted actg. rank of Lt.-Col. for service with King's African Rifles 15.9.1918

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/31253/supplements/3976

Resigned his commission on 28.10.1922 and retained the rank of Lt.-Col.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/32761/pages/7538

Graduation List from the Army List in January 1919 shows:

Bevan, Edward Beckford

Born 11 July 1883

Service as Second Lieutenant and Lieutenant - "Mobilised Territorial Force 2 years 18 days"

Promoted Captain (from Territorial Force) to Norfolk Regiment 11 Mar 1917

Employed with KAR 16 June 1916 to 7 Mar 1917 and 1 June 1917 onwards

Temp. Major, 1 Jun 1917

Steve.

I would suggest you put a post in " sub Sahara Africa" sub forum here, and in addition PM to 'bush fighter" of the forum to get more on KAR

Thank you everyone for your hard work in finding out so much. All this information is great and gives a real shape to this man's life. Tragic that he died so young and so soon after the War. I wonder if there were some lasting effects from serving in Africa.

Iris

• 5 months later...

Edward Beckford Bevan, a distant relation, was born on 10 November 1883 in Bury St Edmunds, the second son of Algernon Beckford Bevan, a banker, and Anne Katherine nee Pettiward.

1901 Census Pupil, aged 18, at Mr Walter Hayter's school for "Army & University" in New Hunstanton.

1911 Census Living at Ickworth Lodge, Suffolk, aged 27, with parents and siblings. Occupation: Timber Merchant.

Edward had 5 brothers and 2 sisters. Younger brother Captain Clement Beckford Bevan was KIA, aged 23, on 20 July 1916 in an attack on Delville Wood.

Regards