Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Granton Chaz

Edward Marston Author

Granton Chaz

I am big fan of Edward Marston & the detective novels he writes.

I am currently reading the second of his home front detective novels An Instrument Of Slaughter. The first one was A Bespoke Murder.

These novels are based on a London detective during the WW1. An Instrument Of Slaughter is about a conscientious objector who is murdered & how is goes about finding the culprit with a certain reluctance from jo public.

Granton Chaz

Just finished An Instrument Of Slaughter. Really good read well recommended

Moonraker

Just finished Under Attack, set mostly in London and Birmingham in mid-1917. Apart from a Gotha raid, there's very little WWI content. The book seemed a bit repetitive, with DI Marston's daughter frequently agonising about her relationship with his sergeant. The two policemen investigate a murder, working through a list of suspects, each of whom in turn they confidently think is their man, but ...

The illustration on the cover of the edition that I read gave a small clue as to what really went on at the music club frequented by some of the characters.

Marston's war-damaged son disappeared in a previous book and the quest for him forms a sub-plot. He doesn't actually appear in Under Attack, and I'm not rushing to get the next book in the series to possibly find out what happened to him.

Moonraker