Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Edward Marston Author

Granton Chaz

I am big fan of Edward Marston & the detective novels he writes.

I am currently reading the second of his home front detective novels An Instrument Of Slaughter. The first one was A Bespoke Murder.

These novels are based on a London detective during the WW1. An Instrument Of Slaughter is about a conscientious objector who is murdered & how is goes about finding the culprit with a certain reluctance from jo public.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

Just finished Under Attack, set mostly in London and Birmingham in mid-1917. Apart from a Gotha raid, there's very little WWI content. The book seemed a bit repetitive, with DI Marston's daughter frequently agonising about her relationship with his sergeant. The two policemen investigate a murder, working through a list of suspects, each of whom in turn they confidently think is their man, but ...

The illustration on the cover of the edition that I read gave a small clue as to what really went on at the music club frequented by some of the characters.

Marston's war-damaged son disappeared in a previous book and the quest for him forms a sub-plot. He doesn't actually appear in Under Attack, and I'm not rushing to get the next book in the series to possibly find out what happened to him.

Moonraker