Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MARNE BATTLEFIELD

DAVE PLATT

I recently did a 4 day recce of the Marne battlefield and the actions between 4th and 10th Sept 1914.

Pretty awesome area albeit quite spread out. Not as high profile as I expected with some of the memorials etc looking less than looked after.

Parking was difficult in most places and no real provision made for visitors, but I think they are going to try and address some issues.

It was good to see the first battle lines, the French memorials to various units including French dominions.

The visit to the Meaux museum was very special, its a great museum especially with the American memorial out front. Probably the best exhibition of uniforms of the war I have ever seen, an excellent original French taxi used in the deployment of troops coming out of Paris when old 'one o clock' was coming over the hill was good as was the other vehicles they have. Many quality exhibits and reconstructions of trenches, dugouts and MG posts.

Moving around the area and the defence lines, I then looked at points of pursuit then attacks, It was a moment to smile when I looked at the sign board explaining the crossing point and 'pont' when the defence turned into a pursuit, can you spot the mistake?

Its good to combine this area visit with Compiegne and the glade.

Dave

post-67156-0-52121400-1390995961_thumb.j

My Great uncle Pte Mark Lockwood fought and died with the 3rd Battalion Coldstream Guards during the Battle of the Marne, on the 8th & 9th September 1914 His battalion where involved in a battle with German Uhlan cavalry at a ravine near the small village of Boitron, The 3rd CG assaulted and crossed a small river called the Petit Morin after leaving the area around rebais, according to official records my great uncle was shot and severely wounded, he was evacuated to the No1 Casualty Clearing Hospital in Coulommiers which was using a railway shed to treat the wounded he later died on the 9th September, also according to sources he was buried in a field near to Boitron and a “Cross Erected” but later he was reburied in the graveyard of Boitron Church.

Thanks for that, as you can see on the top of the sign that is the crossing point on the petit Morin, so I was on the ground where Mark was wounded when the CG attacked.

It's an interesting position, looking at the ravine and the attack uphill I was thinking how tough it must have been fighting and running up such a steep incline carrying kit etc,

I visited Boitron church and took a photo of the CG graves including Marks, do you have a photo?

Hindsight is great and if I knew before I would have put some flowers on his grave for you. I will be visiting again in the next few months so will do it then.

Regards

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the kind offer, It would be nice to have something put on his grave, I do have some grainy images of Marks grave also of Albert Teesdale & Shannons grave, Unfortunately there are no photos of Mark in the family but I do have a photo and news clip on Albert Teesdale.

Let me know when you are visiting again, I was hoping to visit on the 9th September this year but due to leave pressure I cannot make it, but if you could leave some token of respect I would be deeply grateful on behalf f the Lockwood family.

Roger that, I can email you the pictures I have taken with my decent camera.

Just email me at (address removed )

This way I wont have to reduce the size of the photo.

I've put together a Marne tour for Sept and have a group of 6 booked in. We go on the 5th Sept and are there until the 9th. So, drop me an email a few days before to remind me and I will take my group to Marks grave and we can do a rememberence for him.

Can you email me a profile on him that I can use?

Thanks

Dave

It was a moment to smile when I looked at the sign board explaining the crossing point and 'pont' when the defence turned into a pursuit, can you spot the mistake?

As an Army order might say, General Haig to be General French... :whistle:

In an old note book I have Lockwood was listed as wounded on the 8th and death confirmed on the 9th - served with 4 coy, 3rd Btn CG

My Great uncle Pte Mark Lockwood fought and died with the 3rd Battalion Coldstream Guards during the Battle of the Marne, on the 8th & 9th September 1914 His battalion where involved in a battle with German Uhlan cavalry at a ravine near the small village of Boitron, The 3rd CG assaulted and crossed a small river called the Petit Morin after leaving the area around rebais, according to official records my great uncle was shot and severely wounded, he was evacuated to the No1 Casualty Clearing Hospital in Coulommiers which was using a railway shed to treat the wounded he later died on the 9th September, also according to sources he was buried in a field near to Boitron and a “Cross Erected” but later he was reburied in the graveyard of Boitron Church.

In an old note book I have Lockwood was listed as wounded on the 8th and death confirmed on the 9th - served with 4 coy, 3rd Btn CG

I would like to see that Coldstreamer, Any chance of getting me a copy.

no prob - send me a PM with your email address and please remind me in the email what Im looking for as will have forgotten probably!!

detail sent

• 7 years later...

Further to Pte Mark Lockwood's death, this report is to be found in the ADMS 2nd Division war diary:

'Notified No.7326 Pte Lockwood 3rd Coldstream Gds died at 5am this day from severe injuries (GSW) to chest and 4 wounds right leg and 2 left leg.

ADMS 2 Div 9.9.14'

Lockwood-DOW.jpg.2f9c24e6b8c14b759dca39f5bde80143.jpg

The above report was submitted by the OC 5th Field Ambulance whose 'Bearer Division collected wounded - about 70 casualties and many Germans' on 8 September at Boitron, and on 9 September were '[b]usy at Boitron collecting wounded and evacuating same. Completed evacuation at 7pm.'

• Admin

Not sure of @Medic7922 has notifications set up, so tagging him just in case.

Thanks, Michelle. I sent a pm to @Medic7922 but he/she hasn't been on for a few months, not sure how it works.

• 1 year later...

What a shame Medic7922 hasn't revisited.

The two 3rd Coldstream Guards' burials in Boitron Churchyard might be explained by the two separate actions the 3rd Coldstream Guards fought at Boitron on 8 Sept: the initial attempt to cross the Petit Morin, below Boitron village, during which a German shell bursting over an advancing section inflicted most of the 3/CG's casualties; and the attack later in the day NW of Boitron Church, when a coy of 2/CG, with 3/CG and 1/IG from reserve, charged a wood & captured a German MG Battery.

Lockwood and Teesdale being hit during the later charge would explain a removal to Boitron, where they later died of wounds.