Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Attempt to identify HMS Pembroke sailor

bcarleton

I am attempting to identify the sailor pictured.

• He appears to hold 'stoker' rating - but would he be at seaman level or petty officer?
  • His hat clearly says HMS Pembroke, but since Pembroke was actually a shore based drill hall and barracks, would the men assigned there still wear a hat saying 'HMS Pembroke'?

I found a casualty list with names only. Does anyone know if there is a list or memorial with pictures of the sailor associated with their name?

As always - thanks very much for any help that can be given.

post-7535-0-23967600-1390925421_thumb.jp

Is there a reason to believe he was a casualty or is that one of a number of lines of enquiry?

Dave

I have sent the picture to some friends of mine on the current HMS Pembroke, a minesweeper, to see if they can check their archives.

I am afraid HM Ships in commission today do not hold "archives" and certainly none from WW1.

In WW1 HMS PEMBROKE, as well as being the RN barracks at Chatham, hosted a number of Accounting Bases (pay and admin offices - HMS PEMBROKE I, PEMBROKE II, etc) which handled men at a number of ships and shore establishments. However, a man wearing a PEMBROKE cap tally is more likely than not to have been actually serving in the Chatham Barracks. Many thousands of RN and RNR stokers will have passed through the barracks during WW1 either as ship's company or on courses. The chances of identifying this man are vanishingly small.

The photo is showing a Stoker probably 2nd class, an engineroom rating. I believe that some RN stokers did basic trade training at Chatham during WW1 so with that in mind the HMS Pembroke cap tally would indicate that he was based in the barracks.

I don't know if the man pictured was a casualty of the 1917 bombing, but was assuming that a picture associated with a name was more likely in the case of the HMS Pembroke that was bombed (versus all the other Pembrokes).

It does seem his uniform is WWI era versus later.

What on the uniform would suggest he would be a 'second class'? I was not able to discern any identifying marks or badges beyond the Stoker rating.

Horatio is correct, The current HMS Pembroke hold no archives. Sorry.

• 5 years later...
On 28/01/2014 at 16:10, bcarleton said:

I am attempting to identify the sailor pictured.

• He appears to hold 'stoker' rating - but would he be at seaman level or petty officer?
  • His hat clearly says HMS Pembroke, but since Pembroke was actually a shore based drill hall and barracks, would the men assigned there still wear a hat saying 'HMS Pembroke'?

I found a casualty list with names only. Does anyone know if there is a list or memorial with pictures of the sailor associated with their name?

As always - thanks very much for any help that can be given.

post-7535-0-23967600-1390925421_thumb.jp

HMS Pembroke 2 was a Royal Navy Training base at Sheerness, England from 1913-1920

my great Uncle trained at Pembroke in 1915...Stoker 2nd Class Sydney Bradley K25566 killed 7 March 1916 HMS Coquette hit mine Northern entrance to Black Deep, North Sea. Sydney was 18yrs & from Stanton, West Hartlepool. I’ve been looking at photo & a striking family resemblance...my Dad was named after him & served in Royal Navy in WW2

Pembroke (I)  - accounting base (shore establishment) at Chatham.

Pembroke II - Royal Naval Air Station at Eastchurch between 1913 and 1918.

sJ

Edited by seaJane
correct format

He is clearly not a petty officer, as they wore "fore and aft rig" - blue jacket and peaked cap - rather than the "square rig" shown in the photo.

Ron

• 2 months later...

My great grandfather, Arthur Rowntree Swan was on the Pembroke II in 1915.

National Archives, Kew have quite a bit of information on this ship, although don't think it possible to identify from a photo.

Eve P, Just to be clear, your GGF was not "on" a "ship" named HMS PEMBROKE II. HMS PEMBROKE was a shore establishment - a 'stone frigate'.

For the four months that he was under training as an Engine Room Artificer at Chatham (before being discharged invalided). he was living in the barracks and borne on the books of the Chatham Pay Office. Both barracks and pay office came under the HMS PEMBROKE command, PEMBROKE II being that branch of the Pay Office that handled his pay account while he was under training.

If you want a picture of his "ship" there are plenty of images of RN Barracks Chatham online.

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/02/2019 at 15:12, Ron Clifton said:

He is clearly not a petty officer, as they wore "fore and aft rig" - blue jacket and peaked cap - rather than the "square rig" shown in the photo.

Ron

Not quite true Ron.  Fore and aft rig for confirmed petty officers wasn’t  introduced until 1920. However the man in question is definitely Stoker 1st or 2nd Class because there is no star above the propeller on the badge signifying Leading Stoker. A Petty Officer Stoker would have had a star above and below the propeller. Leading and Petty Officer Stoker would also have rank badge on upper left arm.

Edited by Lawryleslie

Thanks for the clarification.

Ron

Dear Sir,

My idea is not to trace the photo in the Navy records but to trace it's origin

> from ancestors or friends

> bought second-hand (where - perhaps the vendor still knows who sold it or gave it away )

> found in an attic

Maybe this way a name will surface.

Another way are group potraits ( if there are some to be found  or to be found in books on the Royal Navy )

kind reagrds, Gunther

• 8 months later...
On ‎15‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 15:21, Andy Bradley said:

I am researching my family history and came across a relative named Sidney Seymour who appears to have been born in 1890 and joined the Navy on a "Short Term" list in 1908.  Naval information on one of the genealogy sites states he served on the Pembroke during WW 1 as a Stoker 1st Class and died on 3 September 1917.  The Document I see is a Naval Pensions Ledger and it appears his mother receives the pension.  His grave appears to be military style and it shows his grave location as Gillingham, Medway Unitary Authority, Kent, England.

It appears he would have been 27 years of age at the time of his death.   His Registration Number appears to be K19040Ch

Edited by Guest

He was killed in the air raid on Chatham RN Barracks on 4 Sep 1917. Born 5 Apr 1895 and enlisted on a 12-year engagement as a stoker on 29 Apr 1913, so aged 22 at death.  Ledger record here:-  https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6979441

His three WW1 medals were claimed by and issued to his mother.

Edited by horatio2