Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thomas Lockett, 1/5th North Staffs

alex1000675

My great great grandfather served with the 1/5th battalion as a private, possibly in B company as he was from Hanley.

His medal card states that he died of his wounds on the 11th January 1918.

I remember looking at the battalion history in the library a while back, and it stating that the battalion was in the trenches around Hulluch at the time. Actively conducting trench raids. Is that correct? Its fairly close to where he is buried so I think my memory serves me right.

If so does anybody have anymore info than that?

Would there be a mention of his death in the local Sentinel newspaper? Especially given that it was a relatively quite period.

Cheers

Most local"rags" published the names and details of casualties during WW1 , a fair chance he will be mentioned. Ralph.

Someone with access to the Battalion's history will be able to confirm exactly where they were in January 1918. By March, I think, they were to the south east of Arras around Bullecourt but I can't recall how long they had been there or where they had come from - unfortunately I can't look it up as I've lent my copy of the book to someone... The War Diary would also tell you what the 1st/ 5th was up to in the days leading to your GGGF's wounding but, as he is buried at Chocques, he may well have died of wounds at a casualty clearing station and it may be hard to pinpoint the exact time and place he was wounded.

If no-one posts more information in the meantime (and I'm sure someone will), I will happily post again... just as soon as I've got my treasured book back!

T. Lockett on the Hanley memorial in Hanley Town Hall.

IMG_8030.jpg

IMG_0145.jpg

IMG_8027.jpg

I had been wondering whereabouts his name would be mentioned on a memorial.

I have seen that you can purchase a digital copy on CD of the battalion history online. But I'm backpacking around Australia at the minute so I can't really get it posted. I'll be purchasing it when I get home though, and checking out the microfilm of the sentinel too.

Thanks for the help

There are two photographs of a T Locket, one from June 1918, however this records a different Regiment and that he is a POW, the other entry is to a North Stafford Regt chap from Hanley, the entry is 4th August 1917, here is the photo and caption on next post for you to cross ref, if this was his photo from 1917, you will probably find an obituary reference within the 1918 editions, i dont have a list of these only photo entries hope it helps, Geoff

4th Aug 1917 T Lockett (Caption relates to being wounded only not KIA DOW)

post-9296-0-46135100-1391157922_thumb.jp

post-9296-0-46539200-1391158278_thumb.jp

No way. Thanks for that Geoff, much appreciated.

This seems like the right guy. I should be able to confirm it by speaking to family.

When I looked at the battalion history in the library I'm pretty sure there was at least one other Thomas Lockett who served in the battalion, but I think he was an officer who joined later in the war.

I have read elsewhere that the 1/5th lead an attack around Lievin on July 1st 1917. So his slight wound may well have been from that attack.

The caption mentions other relatives who were also 'with the colours'. Does that refer to the North Staffs regiment or just the British army in general?

Not sure of the other relatives regiments, though there are a few to go at in the Sentinel, we will have to go through the list lol

LOCKETT PTE A 14-Oct 1916 6 LOCKETT PTE A 20-Oct 1917 6 LOCKETT PTE A 21-Oct 1916 5 LOCKETT PTE A 27-Jan 1917 6 LOCKETT SGT A 04-Nov 1916 6 LOCKETT DVR A 05-May 1917 6 LOCKETT CPL A 06-May 1916 6 LOCKETT PTE A 07-Sep 1918 6 LOCKETT PTE F 22-Jul 1916 6 LOCKETT PTE F 26-May 1917 6 LOCKETT PTE G 14-Oct 1916 6 LOCKETT PTE J 13-Apr 1918 6 LOCKETT PTE J 20-Oct 1917 6 LOCKETT L/CPL J 29-Jun 1918 6 LOCKETT CAPT P 24-Nov 1917 5 LOCKETT PTE T 01-Jun 1918 6 LOCKETT PTE T 04-Aug 1917 6 LOCKETT L/CPL T F 21-Aug 1915 4 LOCKETT GNR V H 28-Aug 1915 4 LOCKETT PTE W 18-May 1918 4 LOCKETT L/CPL W 02-Sep 1916 6 LOCKETT PTE W 05-Aug 1916 6 LOCKETT PTE W 05-May 1917 6

• 4 months later...

Someone with access to the Battalion's history will be able to confirm exactly where they were in January 1918. By March, I think, they were to the south east of Arras around Bullecourt but I can't recall how long they had been there or where they had come from - unfortunately I can't look it up as I've lent my copy of the book to someone... The War Diary would also tell you what the 1st/ 5th was up to in the days leading to your GGGF's wounding but, as he is buried at Chocques, he may well have died of wounds at a casualty clearing station and it may be hard to pinpoint the exact time and place he was wounded.

If no-one posts more information in the meantime (and I'm sure someone will), I will happily post again... just as soon as I've got my treasured book back!

Just to say that, having the Battalion history now to hand, 1st/ 5th were in the trenches near Hulluch throughout the period from 7 August 1917 to 24 January 1918. The Battalion history confirms that they were not involved in any large scale attacks but were kept busy on patrols and the occasional trench raid - the last of these being on 21 December 1917.