Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

UK Military Hospital Deaths & GRO query

TEW

Sorry for the morbid topic but would be very interested to know how a death would be registered from a UK based Military Hospital 1918-1919.

Hypothetically, if an enlisted man died in a UK based Military Hospital would the Hospital (Military) qualified doctors deal with the paperwork and sign a death certificate and if so would this then appear on the GRO indexes in the registration district the hospital was located in?

Would it make any difference if the man had already been discharged or not and would it make any difference if this hypothetical scenario extended into the summer of 1919.

TIA

TEW

• Admin

Tew

His death should be registered in the standard GRO registers. I wouldn't imagine his occupation to make any difference to how a death in the UK should matter. I have seen entries in the GRO indexes for soldiers who died in the UK but haven't got any certificates.

Glen

Glen

Thanks for that. Just an idea I had to try to ID men who were in a Military Hospital that only operated from April 1918 to Autum of 1919. As there are no patient lists or other records I have been gleaning names from SWB rolls and cross referencing them against pension records until I find the specific hospital mentioned. Have obtained the magnificent total of about 5 men in the last week.

Did occur to me that if a death occured in the hospital it would have to registered somehow and wasn't sure if the military took over that role and the procedure was somehow different. Add the fact that some had been pensioned & discharged from the army 2 years previously while others were waiting to find out.

Had a quick check on Ancestry and as it's a fairly small registration district and I'm only including six quarters of 1918 & 1919 there are somewhere in the region of 2000 deaths registered. Take out the women, those too young, too old then I think I'd be left with less than 500. Remove those who were born in the same district, remove those in the area in 1911 and the residue could be checked against the pension records. Not sure if it'll provide more names than my current method!

TEW