Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WWI Centenary Project The High School Dublin - 'War Stories'

Clarissabell

Some 69 past pupils of The High School, Dublin, died in The Great War. An impressive memorial and a beautiful stained class window pay testament to their sacrifice a century ago, but, in reality, teenagers pay little attention to engraved, brass, wall-plaques. But all that is about to change. I have begun a project with my students, to help bring the men, whose names are listed on the memorial, to life in the imaginations of the school community.

For a few, like John Black - from the Border and Lothian Horse Battalion or John Black from the Argyle and Sutherland Highlanders, we have next to no information, but we keep searching regardless, and for information on every one of the 69 soldiers.

Below is a list of the names we are researching. If you are related to these men, or have information relating to them, we would love to hear from you. You may hold the final piece to the puzzle that will complete their story, which is why we would be delighted to hear from you.

We plan to do some research on those who served and survived in the coming years - they all gave so selflessly. If you would like to help us in our research, we would be much obliged, so please get in touch.

We have started a website, where we are collecting the information that we have gathered so far.

http://hsdwarstories.blogspot.ie/ More information is listed there.

Thank you in advance for getting involved and helping with our research, should you wish to do so.

Regards,

Clarissabell.

Name of memorial: Great War Memorial
Place: The High School, Dublin.
IN MEMORIAM IN MEMORIAM DEATH IS SWALLOWED UP IN VICTORY THEIR NAME LIVETH TO ALL GENERATIONS
C.H. ALEXANDER, Capt. Australian Infy.
H. M. ANDERSON, Lt. Northd. Fus.
W. D. APPLEYARD, R. Dublin Fus.
A. H. BAILEY, New Zealand Infy.
L. BARRON, Lt. Border Regt.
L. M. BAYLY, M.C. Capt. R. Irish Rfls.
W. F. BENSON, Sub Lt. R.N.V.R.
JAS BLACK, Bord. & Loth. Horse
JNO. BLACK Arg. & Suth. Highdrs.
R. G. BREWSTER, Lt. South Irish Horse.
W. BUCKLEY, South Irish Horse.
P. F. T. BURNS, Lt. King’s L’pool Regt.
C. S. BURROWS, M.C. Capt. Northd. Fus.
G. V. BUTLER Lt. Linc. Regt.
I. M. CRAIG, Capt. R. Engineers.
G. H. CROSS, Capt. R.A.S.C.
N. F. CURRALL, Lt. East Lanc. Regt.
T. A. D. DEANE, Lt. R. M. Lgt. Infy.
C. J. DODDS, Capt. R. Mun. Fus.
G. G. DUGGAN, Capt. R. Irish Fus.
J. R. DUGGAN, Lt. R. Irish Regt.
A. C. EDWARDS, Australian Artillery Bde.
A. G. ST.J. ELLIS, Lt. R. Engineers.
C. A. FINDLATER, Sergt. R. Dublin Fus.
G. FINNEY, Flight Cadet, Royal Air Force.
D. L. FLETCHER, Lt. Leins. Regt.
G. R. FOX, Sergt. Canadian Infty.
W. J. FRANCIS, Corpl.Army Cyclist Corps.
A. F. GIBSON, Lt. Leins.Regt & R.A.F.
G. F. GIBSON, Canadian Cavalry.
E. E. GLORNEY, Lt. Royal Air Force.
W. O. HALPIN, Capt. R.A.M.C.
J. H. HANCOCK, Lt. R. Engineers.
N. L. HANNON, Lt. King’s L’pool Regt.
D. P. W. CARTER, Lt. R.Engineers.
F. A. HARRISON Lt. Leins. Regt.
H. T. HENLEY, M.M. Lt. R.Irish Rfls.
A. B. E. HILLAS Capt. Gordon Highdrs.
H. H. HOPKINS, Lt. Sth. African Inf.
JAS. KELLY, Corpl. R. Dublin Fus.
C. A. KINNEAR, Lt. R. Field Artillery.
E. W. P. V. LEACH, Capt. R. Irish Rfls.
L. C. LE BAS, South Irish Horse.
J. H. F. LELAND, Lt. R. Welsh Fus.
P. MANDEVILLE, Capt. W. Yorks Regt.
E. M. MANGAN, Canadian Inf.
C. S. MARCHANT, Lt. R. Dublin Fus.
R. S. MILLS, Lt. Canadian A.S.C.
G. F. LAMBERT-PORTER, Capt. W. Yorks Regt.
W. J. RICE,
R. T. ROPER, Major, Dorset Regt.
G. T. SADLEIR, Australian Inf.
C. R. SHANNON, Capt. R. Engineers.
H. A. SLOAN, Lt. R.Garrison Artillery.
JAS SMYTH, R. Field Artillery.
G. E. STEPHENSON, Canadian Infs.
H. STODART, St.John Ambulance Bde.
T. R. SUTTON, Capt. R. Irish Fus.
R. S. SWAN, Sergt. R. Dublin Fus.
F. P. SYNNOTT, Lt. R. Welsh Fus.
F. M. TAYLOR, M.C. Major, R.A.M.C.
S. L. TOLERTON, Lt. R. Irish Fus.
R. L. VALENTINE, Lt. R. Dublin Fus.
H. W. C. WELDON, Lt. R. Irish Rfls.
H. W. WHITE, Capt. R.A.M.C.
J. H. WISDOM, 2nd Dragoon Gds.
L. G. WORTHINGTON-EYRE, Lt. R. Field Artillery.
C. R. YOUNG, R.A.M.C.

H. A. YOUNG, R.A.S.C.

post-105935-0-67295400-1390601922_thumb.

Hi Clarissabell,

Just came across your website now via this post. A slightly embarrassed thank you for the credit on it :blush: !

If anyone on the planet can help you they're on this forum.

Best of luck with the High School project.

Dave (Power)

Hi Clarissabell,

Just came across your website now via this post. A slightly embarrassed thank you for the credit on it :blush: !

If anyone on the planet can help you they're on this forum.

Dave - credit where it is due. With your help, I can finally see some of the men whose names I have been pondering for such a long time. To see the photos of the two Duggan brothers who died on the same day - tragic. I am overwhelmed with the information that is contained on this site and the level of detail that some contributors come up with. I may never sleep again!

Regards,

Clarissabell

my niece is currently a student at the High School.

I did a little research on Louis Barron a short while ago because of his small involvement in the Easter Rising

http://johnny-doyle.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/louis-barron.html

Great to see projects like this. May get more input it it was in the Ireland sub-forum?

Johnny

HI Johnny - the piece on your blog is fascinating. He seems like a kind man, offering the prisoner money, and trying to help him. I didn't know any of this information. Thank you so much for sharing. I am still finding my way around this site - but I will take your advice and put something on the Ireland sub-forum too. Thanks again,

Clarissabell.

There is info re Holden Stodart at the Guinness archives (speak to Eibhlin and she will be able to grab material for you) and material re his death in the 1916 Rebellion Handbook.

I'm sure there was another Guinness man from the High School. Will have to check my notes.

The High School hosted an auxilliary hospital during the Easter Rising. Amongst the staff was Dr Wayland who I believe was the uncle of Private Neville Fryday, a youngster in the Canadian army killed during the Easter Rising :

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=99590&page=2

There is info re Holden Stodart at the Guinness archives (speak to Eibhlin and she will be able to grab material for you) and material re his death in the 1916 Rebellion Handbook.

I'm sure there was another Guinness man from the High School. Will have to check my notes.

The High School hosted an auxilliary hospital during the Easter Rising. Amongst the staff was Dr Wayland who I believe was the uncle of Private Neville Fryday, a youngster in the Canadian army killed during the Easter Rising :

Hi JDoyle,

Corporal James Kelly? - I think I've given the High School his name already:

Corporal James Kelly was a son of Mr. and Mrs. Kelly, 9 Tower Avenue, Rathgar, and was educated at the High School, Dublin. At the outbreak of the war he was in the Engineering Department of Messrs. Guinness, Son and Co., but at once offered his services and joined the “Pals” Battalion. He was prominent in the formation of the 1st City of Dublin Cadets, in which he was Colour Sergeant, and was selected as one of the Cadet Guard of Honour at the Coronation of King George V. He was attached to the signalling section of the “Pals” Battalion, and was present at the memorable landing at Suvla Bay on August 6th. He was killed on September 20th last.

Regards,

Dave

2nd Lt James Black, KOSB was originally no 1437 Lothian and Borders Horse

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/139786/BLACK,%20JAMES

He is listed in Ireland's Memorial Records. Probably/possibly because of the link to The High School

Thanks Johnny, According to High School records, James Black, was born 08/02/1893, which ties in with the record you found, making him 24 years old when he died. His address is noted as 'St Andrews, Inchicore'. The same address is given for John Black. Both boys attended High School for the same period,

1903-1906, but John Mayes Black is two years older, DOB -23/08/189. I think we can safely assume that they are related, probably brothers.

And--- According to the 1901 census, 2 years before the started at High School, they were living in Inchicore. Their mother was listed as Sarah, the father as James - which ties in to your information about James.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/New_Kilmainham/St__Michaels_Terrace/1290375/

So they are brothers, and that record that you found on the CWGC website, relates to High School past pupil Jack Black. Thank you - we have found the resting place of John Black and can add this missing piece of information to his story. Nice work Johnny.

For the men who served in Australian units. their service records will be available from the Australian Archives. Also do a search in the Australian War Memorial for Nominal Rolls, Rolls of Honour etc.

To the Brisbane admin - thanks for your suggestion - I will certainly do that.

Regards, Clarissabell

Hi JDoyle,

Corporal James Kelly? - I think I've given the High School his name already:

Corporal James Kelly was a son of Mr. and Mrs. Kelly, 9 Tower Avenue, Rathgar, and was educated at the High School, Dublin. At the outbreak of the war he was in the Engineering Department of Messrs. Guinness, Son and Co., but at once offered his services and joined the “Pals” Battalion. He was prominent in the formation of the 1st City of Dublin Cadets, in which he was Colour Sergeant, and was selected as one of the Cadet Guard of Honour at the Coronation of King George V. He was attached to the signalling section of the “Pals” Battalion, and was present at the memorable landing at Suvla Bay on August 6th. He was killed on September 20th last.

Regards,

Dave

I realise that it's W J (William John) Rice I was thinking of. He was one of the Guinness employees shot by members of the RDF during the Easter Rising.

Johnny

I realise that it's W J (William John) Rice I was thinking of. He was one of the Guinness employees shot by members of the RDF during the Easter Rising.

Johnny

Johnny, What happened to Mr Rice and indeed his friends, is one of the most shocking things I have read so far. I had only discovered about the High School being used as a Red Cross hospital last week. I would be very interested in finding out more about the hospital, so if you ever come across anything and have the time to share.

The two sons of the High School Caretaker, (James Chasty husband of Clara Lucretia Chasty, nee How, used to be the Coastguard at Bray) were also casualties,Richard Christopher Chasty, 9834, Inniskillings and John Norrish Chasty, 12207, Inniskillings. Another of his sons Sergeant William Chasty, also with the Inniskillings was taken prisoner and survived the war.

Thanks Johnny - I will locate Eibhlin asap!

C.

The two sons of the High School Caretaker, (James Chasty husband of Clara Lucretia Chasty, nee How, used to be the Coastguard at Bray) were also casualties,Richard Christopher Chasty, 9834, Inniskillings and John Norrish Chasty, 12207, Inniskillings. Another of his sons Sergeant William Chasty, also with the Inniskillings was taken prisoner and survived the war.

Museumtom, How interesting! I will certainly add them to the HSD War Stories web page and I will tell the current caretaker about your information. How tragic. I will see what I can find about them. Do you have any photos of the men? Thank you for getting in touch!

Clarissabell.

Don't forget to include poor ould-Second Lieutenant C J G Conerney, another one of your lads.

Thanks Johnny, According to High School records, James Black, was born 08/02/1893, which ties in with the record you found, making him 24 years old when he died. His address is noted as 'St Andrews, Inchicore'. The same address is given for John Black. Both boys attended High School for the same period,

1903-1906, but John Mayes Black is two years older, DOB -23/08/189. I think we can safely assume that they are related, probably brothers.

Medal Index Card for John Mayes Black has an address in Manchester. Served in the Indian Army and reached rank of Major. Looks like his son was killed in WW2 and that John Mayes Black died in 1955.

http://warmemscot.s4.bizhat.com/warmemscot-post-47167.html

JAMES D. BLACK

James Desmond Black - Lieutenant (262193) 2 Special Air Service, Army Air Corps. Age 19.

Born 1924 in Chorlton, Manchester. Son of John Mayes Black (Major, Indian Army) and of Mai Florence (Cowley) Black of Ellerslie, Tongland. Educated at Kirkcudbright Academy.

Killed in action 20/21 September 1944 and re-interred in Durnbach War Cemetery, Bad Tolz, Bayern, Germany.

2 SAS mounted Operation Loyton behind enemy lines in the Vosges in eastern France to prepare the way for an U.S. Army attack. James was wounded in one of the actions and was captured. He was executed by the Gestapo. After the war his grave was traced and he was re-interred in Durnbach War Cemetery.

Tracing John Mayes Black threw up 2 family trees on Ancestry and show the brother James born 8th Feb 1893; died 19th August 1917.

do you have any date of birth, address, years at the school or family information for "John Black from the Argyle and Sutherland Highlanders"?

Only seem to be 2 that fit this description, both died April 1917. Not enough information to tie them to the school. No family trees found.

A James Black, Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, appears in Ireland's Memorial Records. Died of wounds in Jan 1917

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/29614/BLACK,%20JAMES

The family appear to be in the census for Dublin in 1901

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Rathmines___Rathgar_East/Edenvale_Road/1292181/

From my Dublin files.

Cheers.

Tom.

Dublin Charles Henry Alexander Lieutenant Australian Light Trench Mortar Battery 9th 08/06/1917 33 Son of David McGowan Alexander and Emily Frances Alexander, of 71 Frankfort Avenue, Dublin. Ireland. A. 15. Toronto Avenue Cemetery, Belgium..
Dublin Henry McDonnell Anderson Lieutenant Northumberland Fusiliers "D" Coy, 5th Battalion. 30/05/1918 25 Killed in action Son of John and Mary Andwerson, of 32 Dargle Road,. Drumcondra, Dublin. Native of Portaferry, County Down. The Irish Times, May 30, 1919. Roll of Honour. Anderson-In loving memory of Lieutenant H McD Anderson (Harry), Northumberland Fusiliers, who died in hospital at Doullens, France, (hospital bombed), 30th May, 1918. Irish Independent. Lieutenant H McD Anderson, Died of wounds, son of Mr John Anderson, 32 Dargle Road, Dublin. he had been wounded and in hospital when it was bombed by enemy aircraft. III. A. 9. Bagneux British Cemetery, Gezaincourt in France..
Dublin Walter D'Ancie Appleyard Private Royal Dublin Fusiliers. 7th Battalion 14789 16/08/1915 Dublin Dublin Killed in Action in Gallipoli. The Irish Times. Ireland’s Roll of Honour. August 19, 1916. Private G S Appleyard, Leinster Regiment, wounded in action, is the eldest son of the late Mr William Appleyard, Church of Ireland Representative Body, and Mrs Appleyard, 31 Sandford Road, Dublin. he was educated at the High School, Dublin, and was on the staff of the Bank of Ireland, College Green, when he volunteered for active service soon after the outbreak of war. He is at present in hospital in England, where he is progressing favourably. His brother, Walter, was killed last year in Gallipoli. The Irish Times, August 16, 1922. Roll of Honour. In Memoriam. Appleyard-In proud and loving memory of Walter D’Ancie Appleyard, killed in action, at Gallipoli, 16th August, 1915, third son of Mrs Appleyard, 32, Sandford Road. Panel 190 to 196 Helles Memorial in Turkey.
Dublin Albert Henry Bailey Lance Corporal Auckland Mounted Rifles, N.Z.E.F. 13/970A 08/08/1915 Son of Mrs Anna Bailey, of 74 St Lawrence Road, Dublin, Ireland. Irish Times. Bailey-August 8. 1915, killed in action in Gallipoli, Trooper Albert H Bailey, Auckland Mounted Rifle regiment, New Zealand Forces, youngest son of Mr and Mrs Bailey, 74 St Lawrence Road, Clontarf. 1 Chunuk Bair ( New Zealand ) Memorial in Turkey.
Dublin Louis Barron Lieutenant Border Regiment 10th Battalion attached to the 2/6th Warwick Regiment 19/07/1916 27 Killed in action Son of Esther Barron, of 38 South Circular Road, Portobello, Dublin, and the late Hyman A Barron. A Solicitor. Panel 68 and 69. Loos Memorial in France.
Dublin William Francis Benson Sub-Lieutenant Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve Drake Battalion. R.N. Div. 08/10/1918 23 Son of Mary Jane Benson, of 46, Reuben Avenue, South Circular Road, Dublin, and the late William Benson. Irish Independent; Officers in the casualty lists...Second Lieutenant W F Benson, Reuben Avenue, SCR, served with the RAMC in Dublin during the Rising of 1916. V. B. 1. Cambrai East Military cemetery, Nord, France.
Dublin Richard Gardiner Brewster Second Lieutenant Royal Irish Regiment 7th (South Irish Horse) Battalion. 21/03/1918 25 Dubin City Killed in action Son of Susan M. Brewster, of "Audenville," Iona Road, Glasnevin, Dublin, and the late William Theodore Brewster. The Irish Times, March 21, 1919. In Memoriam. Brewster-In affectionate remembrance of Richard, South Horse, who paid the supreme sacrifice, March 21st, 1918. “He has fought the good fight.” Inserted by his sisters and brothers….Brewster-In loving memory of our dear son, Richard Gardiner, Second Lieutenant South Irish Horse, First Expeditionary Force, killed in action, near ronsoy, march 21, 1918, second eldest son of Mr and Mrs Brewster, Audenville, Iona Road. “He was not, for God took him.” Irish Independent; Brewster—Mr and Brewster and family, of “Audenville,” Iona Road, Glasnevin, Dublin, beg to tender their grateful thanks to their many friends for their sympathy in the reported loss in action of their dear son, Second Lieutenant Richard G Brewster, South Irish Horse, and to ask them to accept this acknowledgement, as it is impossible to communicate with all individually, as they would wish. Westmeath Independent, October, 1914. Soldiers Letters. “A Fairly Quiet Time.” His many friends will be pleased to learn that Mr Richard Brewster (son of Mr W T Brewster, Secretary and Manager of the “Independent Newspapers” Ltd), who is serving with the South Irish Horse in the Expeditionary Force in France, is, to quote his won words, “quite well and still in the land of the living.” Writing to his sister, Mr Brewster says; “We are having a fairly quiet time just now, but are expecting more excitement shortly. We are all being inoculated to-day against typhoid fever. I believe it makes one sicker about a day, but its worth getting done, so we will often have to drink fairly unclean water perhaps. “I heard a couple of days ago in a letter from a fellow in Dublin to a fellow here that some of us were reported dead—myself killed and another dead from pneumonia. For God’s sake never believe a single report of that kind unless it is given by authority of the War Office I can assure you that if you heard it, I am still quite a lively ‘corpse.’ “Don’t forget to send me later on a piece of plum pudding because I don’t expect to be home this side of Christmas.” Writing to friends in Athlone under date October 1st, Mr Brewster, who is full of optimism, says;--“It is a great experience here and I would not miss it for worlds. We are very well fed and clothed and needless to say are in good form and spirits. No news from here of course so good-bye.” Br Brewster is serving with the South Irish Horse, and some few weeks ago was reported as dead or missing. His interesting letters show that he is very much alive and taking his soldiering duties very pleasantly. Westmeath Independent, April, 1918. Lieutenant Richard Brewster. Son of Mr W T Brewster, manager and secretary of the “Irish Independent” has been missing since the earlier engagements of the present great push. The gallant young soldier has seen a great deal of active service since the early stages of the war and put up a fine military record. Naturally great uneasiness has been caused his family by the intelligence that he is missing. We sincerely hope more satisfactory news may speedily reach them. Westmeath Independent, August, 1918. Late Second Lieutenant Brewster, S.I.H. What promised to be an exceptionally brilliant career has been cut short by the death of Second Lieutenant R Brewster, of the South Irish Horse, who was reported “missing” after the big offensive last March, and is not officially reported killed. Before joining up at the outbreak of the war the deceased young gentleman who had a distinguished collegiate course, held a Civil Service appointment in the Department of Agriculture. He was immensely popular with all who knew him, and during his war service earned unstinted credit from his superiors for skill and efficiency. We sincerely convey our regret to his father, Mr W T Brewster, Secretary and Manager of the “Irish Independent” papers, and to the other members of his family. Irish Independent; In Memoriam. Brewster-In loving memory of our dear son, Richard Gardiner, second Lieutenant, South Irish Horse, First Expeditionary Force, killed in action, near Rossnoy, March 21, 1918, second eldest son of Mr and Mrs Brewster, Audenville, Iona Road. “He was not, for God took him.” Irish Independent; Lieutenant Brewster’s Death Recorded. Sincere sympathy will be extended by many friends to Mr William T Brewster and family, “Audenville,” Iona Road, Glasnevin, manager and secretary, Independent Newspapers, Ltd., who has been officially notified that his second son, Richard G Brewster, Second Lieutenant South Irish Horse, was killed in action on 1st March last, having been at first reported missing. He was educated at the High School, Dublin, took 1st place, United Kingdom, in the 2nd Division Civil Service examination, and was engaged when war broke out in the Department of Agriculture. He served in France with the First Expeditionary Force from August 17, 1914, took part in the retreat from Mons, was decorated with the Mons Star, and was at the Marne and Aisne and the first battle of Ypres. He served afterwards with the Squadron S.I.H.engaged as divisional cavalry to 2nd Division, and was sent home for a commission in November, 1916, being trained at Netheravon. Having received the commission in his own Regiment, the S.I.H. in February, 1917, he returned to France in April, 1917, and served with distinction (when attached to the Royal Irish Regiment) he took part in the operations at Rossoy, near St Quentin, with the 16th Division, and was reported missing, and subsequently reported killed in battle near Rossoy on March 21, 1918. Irish Independent; Military Promotion.—Mr Richard Brewster, second son of Mr W T Brewsster, manager of the “Irish Independent,” who has been gazetted a Second Lieutenant in the South Irish Horse, has been in France since August, 1914, and has therefore, seen a considerable amount of fighting. His younger brother, Mr Theodore Brewster, who has also been in the firing line with the same corps, has also been selected for a commission, and is at present in a training school. Irish Independent; Brewster-In loving memory of our dear son, Richard Gardiner, Second Lieutenant, S.I.H., First Expeditionary Force, killed in action near Ronssoy, March 21, 1918, second eldest son of Mr and Mrs Brewster, Audenville, Iona Road. “He was not, for God took him.”…Brewster-In affectionate remembrance of Richard S.I.H., who paid supreme sacrifice March 21, 1918. “He has fought the good fight.”-Inserted by his sisters and brothers. Panel 6. Pozieres Memorial in France.
Dublin Charles Sless Burrows Captain Northumberland Fusiliers 14th Battalion. 28/05/1918 33 Belfast Dublin Killed in action Won the Military Cross and is listed in the London Gazette. Son of Alex Charles and Ida Burrows, brother of John and Emily Borrows, listed in the 1901 Census in Adelaide Road, Dublin. Irish Times. Burrows-May 28. Killed in action, Captain Charles S Burrows, M.C., Northumberland Fusiliers, son of the late Alexander Charles and of Mrs Burrows, 8 Albert Villas, Morehampton Road, Dublin.
Dublin George Victor Butler Lieutenant Lincolnshire Regiment 2nd/5th Battalion. 23/03/1918 29 Rathgar, Dublin Dublin Killed in action Son of Joseph Marshall MacDermott Butler and Margaret Mary Butler, of 3, Rhoda Villas, Sutton, County Dublin. Irish Times. Butler-March 26, killed in action, George Victor Butler, Lieutenant Lincoln regiment, son of J Marshall and Metu(?) Butler, Suncroft, Sutton, County Dublin. Irish Independent; Lieutenant G V Butler, son of Mr J M Butler, Suncroft, Sutton, County Dublin (on March 26). Special Memorial Douchy-Les-Ayette British Cemetery in France. in France.
Dublin George Herbert Cross Captain Army Service Corps Attached to the 9th Battalion, Royal Irish Fusiliers 30/09/1918 25 Scotland Rathmines, Dublin Killed in action Son of Mr. W. H. and Mrs. E. Cross, of 1, Effra Road, Rathmines, Dublin. The Irish Times, September 30, 1924. Roll of Honour. In Memoriam. Cross-In loving memory of my dear son, G H Cross, Captain, R.A.S.C., attached Royal Irish Fusiliers, killed in action in France, September 30th, 1918. IV. F. 27. Dadizeele New British Cemetery in Belgium.
Dublin Norman Frank Currall Second Lieutenant East Lancashire Regiment 1st Battalion 18/10/1916 18 Leamington, Warwickshire Killed in action Son of Percy Frank and Kate Currall, brother of Doris Muriel Currall, listed in the 1911 Census in Windsor Road, Rathmines and Rathgar East, Dublin The Weekly Irish Times. Ireland’s Roll of Honour. November 17, 1917. Second Lieutenant N F Currall, East Lancashire Regiment, who was reported missing on October 18th last year, and is now officially presumed to have been killed in action on that date, was the only son of Mr Percy F Currall, formerly District Manager Post Office Telephones, Dublin, and at present Ditrict Manager, Post Office Telephones, Brighton. Second Lieutenant Currall was a student at the Royal College of Science, and a member of the Trinity College, O.T.C. He received his commission in the East Lancashires in 1915, and went to the front in the summer of last year. His Colonel, in a letter to Lieutenant Currall’s parents, says;-“Your son was an extremely capable officer, and one who had made himself most popular amongst his comrades.” The chaplain writes;-“The company of which your son was in went forward woth magnificent dash…he was gallant soldier, who has won the respect of all his brother officers and the regard of the men in his platoon.” Pier and Face 16 C Thiepval Memorial
Dublin Thomas Alexander David Deane Lieutenant Royal Marine Light Infantry Portsmouth Battalion, Royal Naval Division 03/05/1915 22 Bray, County Wicklow Only son of Sir Thomas Manly Deane, B.A., and Lady Deane (nee Wright), of Erw-Lydan, Penmaenmawr, Carnarvonshire. Formerly of Dublin. Irish Independent; Second Lieutenant T A D Deans, RMLI, who is reported from the Dardanelles as missing, is the only son of Sir Thomas M Deane, B.A., RHA. Ailesbury Park, Dublin. He received his commission in February. Previously he had been a member of the Dublin University Officers Training Corps. Irish Times. Bray Memorial Service. The name of Lieutenant T M Deane, son of Sir Thomas Deane, was by accident omitted from the list of Old Ardvonians who have fallen. Lieutenant Deane, a most promising young officer, was killed in action in the Dardanelles early in May last. The Weekly Irish Times. Ireland’s Roll of Honour. May 29, 1915. Second Lieutenant T A D Deane. On May 14, we reported that second Lieutenant Thomas A D Deane, R.M.L.I., Portsmouth Battalion Royal Naval Division, was reported under date 10th May, as missing in operations at the Dardanelles, and it is now reported that he is killed. He was the only son of Sir Thomas M Deane, B.A., R.H.A., of Ailesbury Park, Dublin. Panel 2 to 7 Helles Memorial in Turkey.
Dublin George Grant Duggan Captain Royal Irish Fusiliers 5th Battalion 16/08/1915 29 Died of wounds Son of George and Emilie Duggan, of Ferney, Greystones, Co. Wicklow; husband of Dorothy Duggan, of Glenvar, St. Kevin's Park, Rathgar, Dublin. B. A, Trinity College, Dublin. Member of the Dublin University Athletic Union; also an Irish International cross country runner. As part of the 10th Irish Division in Gallipoli he died of wounds during the fight for Kislagh Dagh and is mentioned in the book ‘ The Irish at the Front’ by Michael McDonagh. His brother Lt J. R. Duggan 5th Bn, Royal Irish Regiment died ( age at death 20) the same day in the Dardinelles. His son DERMOT HARRY TUTHILL DUGGAN died during ww2 on H. M. S. Ardent where he was a surgeon. De Ruvigny’s Roll of Honour. DUGGAN, GEORGE GRANT, Capt, 5th (Service) Batt~. Royal Irish Fusiliers, 3rd s. of George Duggan, of 5, College Steet, Dublin & Ferney, Greystones, co. Wicklow, Manager, Provincial Bank of Ireland, Ltd, Dublin, by his wife, Emilie Asenath, dau. of Col. Charles Coote Grant, late Bedfordshire Regt. (died 23 Aug. 1914) b. Birr, Kings Co, 12 April, 1886 educ. High School, and Trinity College, Dublin, where he graduated BA. in 1908; and on leaving there entered the service of the Irish Lights Commissioners. He was one of the original members of the Dublin University O. T. C. and was one of the first N. C. O. to be appointed, being promoted Corpl. 1910, and the following year was one of small body of N. C. O. and Cadets. specially selected for exceptional efficiency and smartness, to attend the coronation. He subsequently (27 Jan. 1912) received a commission on the unattached list (TF. ) for service with the D. U. O. T. C, and was promoted Lieut. 8 Feb. 1913. He qualified at the School of Musketry, Hythe, in March, 1914, and was appointed to the command of a platoon in the School of Instruction for officers of the new Armies established in Trinity College in Sept. of the same year. On the temporary closing of this school, about the middle of the following month, he joined the 5th Battn. Royal Irish Fusiliers as Lieut, and was at once promoted to the command of a company, with the rank of temporary Capt, 28 Oct. 1914. He left with his regt. for the Dardanelles, early in July, 1915; took part in the landing at Sulva Bay, 6 Aug. 1915, and in the severe fighting there during the following ten days was severely wounded on the 16th on the Ridge over the Bay, and died the same day on board H. M. hospital ship Gloucester Castle. Buried that night in the Egean Sea. His yst. brother fell in action there the same day (see following notice). Capt. Duggan, of a bright and genial disposition, was one of the finest long-distance runners that Trinity College has ever possessed, and it would be no light task to compile a list of his many triumphs in the College Park, with the D. U. Harriers, in inter- University and in International contests. For several years he organised the College Races, and managed the affairs of the Dublin University Athletic Union with conspicuous success. But his greatest work was, undoubtedly, the inauguration of Trinity Week, an enterprise to which he devoted himself heart and soul, and of the original Committee of which he was the foremost member. He was also a former Scoutmaster of the 6th South County Dublin (Lesson Park) troop; a member of the Executive of the County Dublin Association and an active member of the Sea Scout Committee, in whose interests he worked until the outbreak of war. He m. at Christ Church, Leeson Park, Dublin, 24 Aug. 1910, Dorothy Isabella Tuthill (12, St. Reven's Park, Rathgar. Dublin), only child of the late Henry Johnson, of Oaklands, Upper Assam, and had two sons: George Villiers Grant, b. 31 5 May, 1911; and Dermot Harry Tuthill, b. 5 July. 1912. Unknown Irish Regional Newspaper; Captain George Grant Duggan and Lieutenant John Rowswell Duggan, the third and fifth sons of Mr and Mrs George Duggan, of 5, College Street, Dublin, have both died in the service of their country. Captain Duggan who died on August 17th of wounds received in Gallipoli on the previous day and was buried at sea, was 29 years old. He was educated at the High School, Dublin, and trinity College, Dublin, where he gained several honours and prizes and graduated in 1908. He distinguished himself as a long distance and cross country runner at trinity College and inaugurated Trinity Week. He also took an active in the Dublin University Officers Corps, and received a commission on the unattached list of the Territorial Force for service with the contingent. In March 1914, he qualified at the Hythe School of musketry, and in September of that year became Lieutenant in the 5th Royal Irish Fusiliers and in October received his company. He leaves a widow and two sons. King’s County Chronicle, September, 1915. Two Birr brothers killed. The death is announced on August 17th of Captain George Grant Duggan, aged 29, Royal Irish Fusiliers, as the result of wounds received at the Dardanelles on August 16th. He was buried at sea. He was the third son of Mr George Duggan, 5 College Street, Dublin, formerly in the Birr branch of the Provincial Bank. Lieut John Rowswell Duggan, 5th Royal Irish Regiment, killed in action at the Dardanelles on August 16th, aged 20, was the fifth son. Their parents were very popular in Birr and their friends here, including Mr and Miss St. George, deeply sympathise in their bereavement. Irish Independent; Captain G G Duggan, of the 5th Royal Irish Fusiliers, was killed at the Dardanelles on August 16. He was Hon. Secretary of the Dublin University sports, a few years ago, and while at college carried off numerous prizes in long-distance races. His younger brother, Lieutenant J R Duggan, was killed on the following day. The Weekly Irish Times. Ireland’s Roll of Honour. September 11, 1915. Two Brothers Killed. The death is announced on August 17th of Captain George Grant Duggan, 5th Royal Irish Fusiliers, as the result of wounds received at the Dardanelles on August 16th. Captain Duggan was buried at sea. His residence was 12 St Kevin’s Park, Rathgar, and he was the third son of Mr George Duggan, 6 College Street, Dublin. He was aged 29. Lieutenant John Rowswell Duggan, 5th Royal Irish Regiment, killed in action at the Dardanelles on 16th August, was the fifth son of Mr George Duggan. Panel 178 to 180 Helles Memorial in Turkey and he is also commemorated on a marble plaque on the walls of the reading room in Trinity College, Dublin.
Dublin John Rowswell Duggan Lieutenant Royal Irish Regiment 5th Battalion. (Pioneers) 16/08/1915 21 Dublin Killed in action Brother of George Grant Duggan above who died on the same day. De Ruvigny’s Roll of Honour. Son of George Duggan, of 5, College Street. Dublin and Fernay Greystones, Co. Wicklow. Manager Provincial Bank of Ireland, Ltd, Dublin, by his wife, Emilie Asenath, dau. of Col. Charles Coote Grant, late Bedfordshire Regt. ; b. Dublin, 31 Oct. 1894; educ. The High School, Dublin, where he won a 1st Class Scholarship, and passed into Trinity College, Dublin, in 1912. There he joined the Medical School and became, like his brother, a prominent Member of the O. T. C. On the out-break of war he relinquished his medical studies and was gazetted 2nd Lieut, 5th Royal Irish Regt, 15 Aug. 1914, and promoted Lieut, 28 Jan. 1915. He left with his regt. for the Dardanelles early in July 1915, as part of the 10th Division, and was killed in action on the Karakol Dagh Spur. above Sulva Bay, 16 Aug. 1915; unm. He was at first reported wounded and missing and no officer saw him fall, but the Medical Officer of the Dressing Station at Sulva Bay, to whom Lieut. Duggan went when shot through his left wrist and with shrapnel injury to face and side, told him he should go to the Hospital Ship. He said his men were without an officer so he rejoined them in the firing line, and the subsequent story is briefly told by his Sergt. P J Nolan (on whose testimony his death was officially reported). "He left the firing line, had his wounds dressed and returned shortly afterwards, where he was hit in the face with an explosive bullet and killed. " To his father, Sergt. Nolan wrote: "Your son could have saved his own life, but he was always good to his men and he died encouraging them to fight till the last"; and his Col, ~ Earl of Granard, wrote "I am sorry to tell you that your son has been missing since 10 Aug. He went with his company into action our that date, and we have not seen him since. I have enquired from several of the men of his company and they all tell me that he was wounded whilst gallantly leading his men. I sincerely hope that he is a prisoner, and it is always a consolation to know that the Turks treat their prisoners with the greatest consideration. I have now soldiered for a great many years and can honestly say that I never came across a better subaltern; and as regards his social qualifications, he was beloved by all ranks of the regt. " Lieut. Duggan was a noted rifle shot and won many medals and prizes, including Daily Express and Lord Roberts Medals; Adjutants cup of Trinity College, O. T. C, and he was presented with a rifle for the highest aggregate score in Leinster Schools, 1912. Lieutenant J. R. Duggan was killed on August 16th in Gallipoli, aged 30. He was educated at the High School, Dublin, where he won a first clas scholarship and entered Trinity College in 1912. There he joined the Medical School, but on the outbreak of war he decided to relinquish his medical studies and was gazetted second Lieutenant in the 5th Royal Irish Regiment. Two brothers of these officers, Mr Duggan’s second and fourth sons, are in the Naval Service, one being in the Transport Department at Whitehall and the other an assistant paymaster in a battleship. The Weekly Irish Times. Ireland’s Roll of Honour. September 11, 1915. Two Brothers Killed. The death is announced on August 17th of Captain George Grant Duggan, 5th Royal Irish Fusiliers, as the result of wounds received at the Dardanelles on August 16th. Captain Duggan was buried at sea. His residence was 12 St Kevin’s Park, Rathgar, and he was the third son of Mr George Duggan, 6 College Street, Dublin. He was aged 29. Lieutenant John Rowswell Duggan, 5th Royal Irish Regimen, killed in action at the Dardanelles on 16th August, was the fifth son of Mr George Duggan. Irish Times. There is an image in the Irish Times of this man. Lieutenant J R Duggan, 5th Royal Irish Regiment, killed at the Dardanelles, was the son of Mr and Mrs George Duggan, 5 College Street, Dublin. Special Memorial 9 AZMAK Cemetery in Suvla, Turkey and he is also commemorated on a marble plaque on the walls of the reading room in Trinity College, Dublin.
Dublin Charles Arthur Findlater Lance Sergeant Royal Dublin Fusiliers 10th Battalion. 14646 13/11/1916 46 Dublin Dublin Dublin Killed in action Son of John and Mary Findlater, of Monkstown, County Dublin. The Weekly Irish Times. Ireland’s Roll of Honour. December 16, 1916. Sergeant Charles Arthur Findlater, Royal Dublin Fusiliers, killed in action on 13th November, 1916, in his 47th year, was a son of the late Mr John Findlater and Mrs Findlater, Melbeach, Monkstown, County Dublin. He joined the D Company, 7th Royal Dublin Fusiliers, as a private at the outbreak of the war, and was wounded on the 21st August, 1915, at the Dardanelles. He later joined up with another battalion. He was a brother of Lance Corporal Herbert S Findlater, 7th Royal Dublin Fusiliers, “Pals” Battalion, who was reported wounded and missing at Gallipoli, and of Captain Alex Findlater, D.S.O., London Mounted Brigade Field Ambulance, who is at present in the Balkans. VI. J. 7. Tincourt New British Cemetery in France.
Dublin George Finney Flight Cadet Royal Air Force and 53rd Battalion, Hampshire Regiment TR//8/25444 01/08/1918 18 Dublin Died Son of George and Eda Finney, of St John's Cottage, Bagley, Oxford. Brother of Eda Finney. Listed in the 1901 Census living at Rathgar Road, Dublin. Irish Times. Finney-August 1, 1918, killed as the result of an aeroplane accident, Flight Cadet George Finney, Royal Air Force, son of George and Ede Finney, St John’s Cottage, Baglet Wood, Oxford, and formerly of Rathgar, County Dublin. The Irish Times, August 1, 1923. Roll of Honour.(1914-1918). In Memoriam. Finney-Fifth Anniversary-In loving memory of George Finney, Flight Cadet, H.M.Royal Air Force, accidentally killed at New Romney, during aerial tactics, on 1st August, 1918, aged 18 years, only son of George and Eda Finney, St John’s Cottage, Bagley Wood, Oxford, formerly of Alma ----, Rathgar Road, County Dublin. Hennington Cemetery, Berkshire.
Dublin Donald Lockhart Fletcher Second Lieutenant Leinster Regiment 4th Battalion, attached to 6th Battalion. 28/04/1917 20 Died Son of George and Henrietta Maria Fletcher, of "Mona," Shankill, County Dublin. Native of Derby. VII. B. 14. Struma Military Cemetery in Greece.
Dublin George Robert Fox Sergeant Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (Eastern Ontario Regiment) 1565 26/08/1918 24 Harolds Cross, Dublin Ottawa Son of William Bethel Fox and Elizabeth Margaret Fox, of Ireland; Husband of Elizabeth Mary Kearon (Formerly Fox), of West Street, Polruan, Fowey, Cornwall, England. Born at Harold's Cross, Dublin. IV. C. 13. Vis-en-Artois British Cemetery, Haucourt, Pas de Calais, France.
Dublin William James Francis Corporal Army Cyclist Corps 10th Battalion. 729 06/07/1917 23 Dublin Dublin Merrion, County Dublin Killed in action Only son of Frederick William and Amelia Jane Francis, of 18, Pembroke Estate Cottages, Merrion, County Dublin. The Weekly Irish Times. Ireland’s Roll of Honour. August 11, 1917. Corporal William James Francis, Army Cyclist Corps, who was killed by a fragment of a shell on 6th July last whilst on duty near the fornt line, was the only child of Mr and Mrs Francis, Merrion, County Dublin. He was born in 1893, and educated at the High School, Harcourt Street. On the outbreak of war he was employed as a clark in the Congested Districts Board, where he was held in high esteem by his colleages. He enlisted in the Ulster Division Cyclist Company in December, 1914, and had been engaged in several actions in different parts of the western front. His Company Commander has stated that Corporal Francis was “ a most willing and thoroughly reliable soldier, especially when acting on his own responsibility.” The Irish Times, July 6, 1923. Roll of Honour.(1914-1918). In Memoriam. Francis-In affectionate remembrance of our beloved only child, William James (Willie) Francis, Corporal, Army Cyclist Corps, killed in action, at Hollebeke, 6th July, 1917…….Francis-Willie, killed in Flanders July 6, 1917. “He loved honour and duty more than he feared death.” Gratefully and affectionately remembered by Aunt Annie, Walter, and George. H. 5. Oak Dump Cemetery in Belgium.
Dublin Albert Fisher Gibson Second Lieutenant Leinster Regiment Attached to 4th Squadron, Royal Flying Corps 24/03/1917 21 Dublin Killed in action Son of Robert Dane Gibson and Amy Gibson, of 20, Morehampton Road, Dublin. The Irish Times, March 24, 1921. In Memoriam. Gibson-In loving memory of Lieutenant Albert Fisher Gibson, R.F.C., killed in action, 24th March, 1917, fourth son of R D and Amy Gibson, Dunmore, Ballsbridge. “Peace, perfect peace.” The Irish Times, March 24, 1924. Roll of Honour.(1914-1918). In Memoriam. Gibson-In loving memory of Lieutenant Fisher Gibson, R.F.C., killed in action, 24th March, 1917. “Peace, perfect peace.” The Irish Times, March 24, 1925. Roll of Honour.(1914-1918). In Memoriam. Gibson-In loving memory of Albert Fisher Gibson, Lieutenant, Leinster Regiment (attached R Flying Corps), killed in action March 24th, 1917, aged 21 years. “Never shall his memory fade.” Dunmore, Holyrood. Irish Times. Gibson-March 24, (his 21st birthday), killed in action, Albert Fisher Gibson, Second Lieutenant, Leinster Regiment, and Royal Flying Corps, son of R D Gibson, Dunmore, Holyrood, Ballsbridge, Dublin. 7 Beugnatre Communal Cemetery.
Listed in the 1901 Census as Edward E Glorney. Dublin Ernest Edward Glorney Lieutenant Royal Flying Corps 25/10/1916 28 Dublin Killed Son of George and Mary Glorney, brotherof Cecil P and Susan M Glorney. Listed in the 1901 Census in Terenure, Dublin. Irish Times. Glorney-October 25, killed in aeroplane accident, Ernest E Lieutenant, RFC., son of the late George Glorney, and of Mrs Glorney, Allington, Ballsbridge. The Weekly Irish Times. Ireland’s Roll of Honour. November 4, 1916. Lieutenant E E Glorney, of the Royal Flying Corps, the youngest son of the late Mr George Glorney, and of Mrs Glorney, of Allington, Ballsbridge, Dublin, was killed in an aeroplane on 25th October. SW. Aa-Bb. 75. Dean’s Grange Cemetery, Dublin.
Dublin William Oswald Halpin Captain Royal Army Medical Corps Attached to the 4th Hussars 10/08/1918 31 Dublin Dublin Died of wounds Son of W. O. and Anna Maria Halpin, of The Laurels, Foxrock, County Dublin. Educated at Trinity College, Dublin, B.A., M.D., M.B., B.CH. and B.A.O. Irish Times. Halpin-August 10, 1918, died of wounds, Captain William Oswald Halpin,R.A.M.C., attached Hussars, son of Mrs Halpin, The Laurels, Foxrock, County Dublin. III. BB. 8. Villers-Bretonneux Military Cemetery in France.
Dublin John Henry Hancock Lieutenant Corps of Royal Engineers 129th Field Company 09/06/1917 22 Dublin Son of Wiliam Henry and Jane Hancock, of Bellevue Park, Cork, Greencroft, Rawdon, Leeds, and listed in the 1911 Census in Ulverton Road, Dalkey, County Dublin. Brother of Henry Frederick, Lilian Isabel, and Vera May Hancock. Irish Times. Hancock-June 9, killed in action, Lieutenant John Henry Hancock, Bellevue Park, Cork. The Weekly Irish Times. Ireland’s Roll of Honour. June 23, 1917. Lieutenant J H Hancock, Royal Engineers, was killed in action on 9th inst. he was the elder son of Mr and Mrs Hancock, Bellevue Park, Cork. B 37 Dickebusch New Military Cemetery in Belgium.
Dublin Desmond Patrick Webb Carter Lieutenant Royal Engineers 1st Field Signal Company. 12/12/1916 19 Died Native of Bedford. Son of Major General SirJohn and Lady Carter, of Malahide, County Dublin. IV. E. 29. Dernancourt Communal Cemetery Extension in France.
Dublin Frederick Alfred Harrison Second Lieutenant Leinster Regiment 3rd Battalion, attached to the 6th Battalion, Royal Irish Regiment. 09/09/1916 23 Killed in action Son of Arthur and Marjorie Harrison, of Dublin. XXIV. G. 8. Delville Wood Cemetery, Longueval in France.
Dublin Henry Thomas Henley Second Lieutenant Royal Irish Rifles 7th Battalion 08/03/1917 Killed in action Irish Times. Henley-March 8, killed in action, second Lieutenant Harry T Henley, Royal Irish Rifles, son of J W Henley and Mrs Henley, Glenview, Shankill. N 53 Kemmel Chateau Military Cemetery in Belgium.
Dublin Arthur Benedict Edward Hillas Captain Gordon Highlanders 7th (Deeseide Highland) Battalion (Territorial). 23/04/1917 41 Rathdown, County Dublin Killed in action Son of R W and Alice Hillas, of Doonecoy, Templeboy, County Sligo. Irish Times. Hillas-April 23, 1917, killed in action (preciously reported wounded and missing), Captain Arthur B E Hillas, Gordon Highlanders, son of the late R W Hillas, Esq, D.L., Doonecoy House, Templeboy, County Sligo, and Farm Hill, Dundrum, County Dundrum, and of Mrs Hillas, 8 Lower Fitzwilliam Street, Dublin The Weekly Irish Times. Ireland’s Roll of Honour. February 16, 1918. Captain Arthur B E Hillas, who was formerly reported wounded and missing, is now reported to have been killed in action on April 23rd, 1917. He was connected with the Gordon Highlanders, and was the elder son of the late Mr R W Hillas, D.L., Doonecoy House, Templeboy, County Sligo, and Farm Hill, Dundrum, County Dublin, and of Mrs Hillas, of Lower Fitzwilliam Street, Dublin. III E 11 Bailleul Road East Cemetery, St Lauren-Balngy, France.
Dublin Herbert Horace Hopkins Lieutenant South African Special Service Company 25/07/1918 39 Dublin Husband of Beatrice Hopkins, of 21, Union Mansions, Pretoria. Born at Dublin, Ireland. The Irish Times, July 25, 1924. Roll of Honour.(1914-1918). In Memoriam. Hopkins-In fond and loving memory of Lieutenant H Horace Hopkins, A.R.M., Johannesburg, elder son of the late B B Hopkins, and Mrs Hopkins, Lansdowne Terrace, Dublin, who died of wounds at Portuguese East Africa, 25th July, 1918. “Out of the shadows into eternal day.” I. A. 1. Lumbo British Cemetery
Ser No 13832 (SDGW). Dublin James Kelly Corporal Royal Dublin Fusiliers 7th Battalion. 13822 20/09/1915 18 Wigan Dublin Killed in action in Gallipoli Son of James and Edith Kelly, of 9, Tower Avenue, Rathgar, County Dublin. of Wigan. Special Memorial D. 5. Green Hill Cemetery in Turkey.
(Initially buried in) Bottom Wood Cemetery, (CWGC). Dublin Charles Annesley Kinnear Second Lieutenant Royal Field Artillery 50th Brigade 16/10/1916 19 Dublin (IMR+Census) Killed in action at Fricourt (IMR). Irish Independent, August, 23-1919…Irish National War Memorial…Subscriptions….Mr and Mrs Samuel Kinnear and family, “In fond and loving memory of Charlie.” Mem.9 Danzig Alley British Cemetery Mametz in France.
Dublin Ernest Walter Vinden Leach Captain Royal Irish Rifles 3rd Battalion attached to the 2nd Battalion 02/01/1917 21 Dublin Dublin Killed in action Son of Ernest William and Madelina Isabel Leach, brother of Noelle Francis Vindin, Madelina Annie Vindin, Edith Mary Vinden and Jack Vinden Leach, listed in the 1911 Census in Milltown Road, Rathmines and Rathgar East, Dublin. The Weekly Irish Times. Ireland’s Roll of Honour. January 20, 1917. The death in action is announced of Captain Leach, who was 20 years of age, was the elder son of Mr and Mrs E W Leach, Prospect House, Milltown, County Dublin. H 10 Hyde Park Corner (Royal Berks) Cemetery, Belgium.
leopold Charles Lebas, (IMR). Dublin Leopold Charles Le Bas Private South Irish Horse "A" Squadron. 1073 22/12/1915 19 Dublin Dublin Dublin Killed in action Son of Albert Le Bas, of 1, Le Bas Terrace, Leinster Rd. West, Rathmines, Dublin. The Irish Times. Ireland’s Roll of Honour. December 26, 1915. There is an image in the Irish Times of this man. Trooper Leo Le Bas, “A” Squadron, South Irish Horse, killed in action in France, was the youngest son of Mr Albert Le Bas, 1 Le Bas Terrace, Rathmines, County Dublin. Irish Times. Le Bas-December 22, 1915, killed in action in France,---Trooper, A Squadron, South Irish Horse, youngest son of Aubery Le Bas, --La Ras Terrace, Rathmines, aged 20 years. E. 12. Chapelle-D’Armentieres New Military Cemetery. Nord, France.
Dublin John Henry Frederick Leland Second Lieutenant Royal Welsh Fusiliers 5th Battalion. 10/08/1915 31 Drogheda, County Louth Killed in action Son of Henry and Laura Jane Leland, of 6, Idrone Terrace, Blackrock, County Dublin; Husband of Florence Mary Leland. B.A., Barrister-At-Law, Scholar and Moderator (Trinity College, Dublin). The Irish Times, August 9, 1924. Roll of Honour.(1914-1918). In Memoriam. Leland-In loving memory of John Henry Frederick Leland, Second Lieutenant, 5th Battalion, Royal Welsh Fusiliers, killed in action, Dardanelles, --August, 1915, eldest son of late Henry L and Mrs Leland, Blackrock, Dublin. The Weekly Irish Times. Ireland’s Roll of Honour. September 11, 1915. Lieutenant J H F Leland. A telegram was received on Monday saying that Lieutenant J H F Leland, 5th Royal Welsh Fusiliers, who was previously reported wounded, is now reported killed in action at the Dardanelles on August 10th. Lieutenant Leland, who was the eldest son of Mr and Mrs Henry Leland, Blackrock, was an ex-Scholar and Moderator of Trinity College, and a member of the Irish Bar. He was with the O.T.C. of Trinity College since its beginning. His youngest brother, Lieutenant F W H Lenad, is at present with the 7th Battalion Leinster Regiment. Lieutenant Leland who, at the outbreak of the war, was senior classical master at the Abbey, Tipperary, was not only a fine scholar, but an accomplished writer. He was a frequent contributer to the literary columns of the Irish Times. Panel 77 to 80. Helles Memorial in Turkey.
Marchant, Stewart (1911 and 1901 Census) Dublin Charles Stewart Marchant Second Lieutenant Royal Dublin Fusiliers 5th Battalion, attached to 9th Battalion. 04/06/1917 21 Dublin (Census) Killed in action Son of Thomas and Kathleen Marchant, of 2, Greenmount Road, Terenure, Dublin. Irish Times. Marchant-June 4, 1917, killed in action, C Stewart Marchant, Second Lieutenant Royal Dublin Fusiliers, elder and dearly loved son of T and Kathleen Marchant, 2 Greenmount Road, Terenure, aged 21 years. Irish Times. Marchant-June 4, killed in action, C Stewart Marchant, Second Lieutenant, Royal Dublin Fusiliers, son ro T F and Kathleen Marchant, 2 Greenmount Road, Terenure. The Weekly Irish Times. Ireland’s Roll of Honour. June 6, 1917. There is an image in the Irish Times of this man. By the death of Second Lieutenant Charles Stewart Marchant, Royal Dublin Fusiliers, the Clontarf Cricket Club has lost another of its most promising members. He was the son of Mr Y P Marchant, so well known in musical circles. Mr T P Marchant has received letters from the commanding officer and the adjutant of his son’s battalion, informing him that his son was killed by shell fire on the 4th inst, and testifying ti his ability as a soldier, and his popularity asa comrade. He enlisted in August, 1914, and was trained with the South Irish Horse, until he went abroad in December, 1914, with that regiment. He was recommended for, and received, his commission for services on the field, and was again sent to the front early in 1916. Lieutenant Marchant was educated at the High School, Dublin. He was only 21 years of age. I. C. 1. Loker Churchyard in Belgium.
Dublin Robert Sydney Mills Lieutenant Canadian Army Service Corps Training Depot 25/03/1916 42 Kingstown, County Dublin Quebec 52 Isabella Street, Toronto Died of heart failure Husband of Nora Mills, 52 Isabella Street, Toronto (enlsitment document). Son of Jamesand El;izabeth Mills, of County Meath, Ireland, husband of Nora Mills, of 59, Yorkville Avenue, Toronto. Served in the Ashanti Rebellion. Irish Times. Mills-March 25, at Westcliffe Military Hospital, Shorncliffe, of heart failure, Robert Sydney Mills, Lietenant, Canadian Army Service Corps, late of Toronto, son of the late James J Mills, formerly of Castle Odder, County Meath, and brother of Mrs Arthur Moore, 15 Ormond Road, Rathmines. M 16 Shorncliffe Military Cemetery.
Dublin George Francis Lambert Porter Captain West Yorkshire Regiment (Prince of Wales's Own) "A" Company. 11th Battalion. 08/06/1917 33 Dublin (1911 Census). Killed in action Son of George F. and Alice Porter, of Clontarf, Dublin; Husband of Marion Porter, of Belgrave Hall, Queen's Park, Monkstown, County Dublin. The Weekly Irish Times. Ireland’s Roll of Honour. June 23, 1917. News has been received by Mr and Mrs G F Porter, 10 Vernon Parade, Clontarf, of the death in action, on the 7th instant, of their eldest son, Second Lieutenant G F Lambert Porter, West Yorks Regiment. Mr Porter was in his thirty fourth year, and had been for a long period on the staff of the Sun Fire Office, College Green, Dublin. He was well known in Dublin musical circles, and was a member of the Masonic Order, of the Clontarf Football Club, and of the Neptune Rowing Club. His youngest brother, Cyril, was a private in the 7th Royal Dublins, and died in action in Serbia in December, 1915. Lieutenant Porter leaves a widow and one son. Irish Times. Porter-June 7, killed in action, G F Lambert Porter, Second Lieutenant West Yorkshire Regiment, son of George F and Alice Porter, 10 Vernon Parade, Clontarf. The Weekly Irish Times. Ireland’s Roll of Honour. June 23, 1917. News has been received by Mr and Mrs G F Porter, 10 Vernon Parade, Clontarf, of the death in action, on the 7th instant, of their eldest son, Second Lieutenant G F Lambert Porter, West Yorks Regiment. Mr Porter was in his thirty fourth year, and had been for a long period on the staff of the Sun Fire Office, College Green, Dublin. He was well known in Dublin musical circles, and was a member of the Masonic Order, of the Clontarf Football Club, and of the Neptune Rowing Club. His youngest brother, Cyril, was a private in the 7th Royal Dublins, and died in action in Serbia in December, 1915. Lieutenant Porter leaves a widow and one son. The Weekly Irish Times. Ireland’s Roll of Honour. July 7, 1917. Confirmation has been received of the death in action of Acting Captain G F Lambert Porter, West Yorkshire regiment, who, after a gallant and successful fight, on June 7th, was killed by a shell on the 8th, whilst leading against a fierce German counter attack. His Colonel, in a letter to his widow, refers to his gallantry and coolness beyond all praise, and emphaises the high esteem and confidence in which he was held. For a number of years previous to his taking up his commission in the West Yorkshire regiment, in July, 1915, Mr Porter had been on the staff of the Sun Fire Office, and was organist of Howth Presbyterian Church. His early ilitary training was obtained in the South Irish Horse in pre-war times, of which corps he ws as a member for five years. He was closely identified with music (being a Feis Ceoil prize-winner) and sport, and was a member of the Clef Club and the Clontarf Football and Neptune Rowing Clubs. He was also a member of the Masonic Order. Mr Porter was only 33, and leaves a young widow and son. His youngest brother, Private Cyril Porter, Royal Dublin Fusiliers, was killed in Serbia on December 8th, 1915. He was the eldest son of Mr and Mrs G F Porter, 10 Vernon Parade, Clontarf, Dublin. VII. N. 5. Railway Dugouts Burial Ground in Belgium.
Just guessing the next one;-
Dublin William Rice Able Seaman Mercantile Marine S.S. "Saint Barchan" (Glasgow) 21/10/1918 50 Dublin Son of the late Christopher and Alice Rice; Husband of Kate Rice (Nee Power), of 10, Cambridge Place, Ringsend, Dublin. Born at Dublin. Tower Hill Memorial, UK.
Dublin Reginald Trevor Roper Major Dorsetshire Regiment 1st Battalion. 12/10/1914 42 Killed in action Son of William and Georgina Roper of Dublin; Husband of Florence Alice Roper, of 6, Selwood Terrace, Onslow Gardens, London, S.W.7. Irish Times. Roper-October 12, 1914, killed in action near Bethune, Major R T Roper, Dorsetshire Regiment, the dearly-beloved husband of –Roper, and son of the late William and Mrs Roper, Beachfield, Sutton, County Dublin. V. A. 9. Brown’s Road Military Cemetery, Festubert in France.
His brother, William Sadleir, also died in the war. Dublin Gerald Thomas Sadleir Lance Corporal Australian Infantry, A. I. F. 54th Battalion 1992 15/05/1917 Dublin, (Records) Dubbo, New South Wales Killed in action Mr William Sadlier, 70 Sandfield Road, Dublin. (Records). His brother;-The Irish Times. Ireland’s Roll of Honour. December 26, 1915. There is an image in the Irish Times of this man. Trooper William Armstrong Sadlier, “A” Squadron, South Irish Horse, killed in action in France, was the eldest son of Mr William Sadlier, St Finda, Sandford Road, Dublin. Irish Times. Sadleir-May 15, killed in action, Corporal Gerald Thomas Sadleir (Lewis Machine Gun), Australian Imperial Force, son of Mr and Mrs W Sadleir, “St Finds,” Sandford Road, Dublin. The Weekly Irish Times. Ireland’s Roll of Honour. June 23, 1917. Corporal Gerald Thomas Sadleir, Australian Imperial Force (Lewis Machine Gun), who was killed in action of 15th May, aged 21 years, was the youngest son of Mr and Mrs W Sadleir, “St Finda,” Sandford Road, Dublin. Villers-Bretonneux Memorial in France.
Dublin Harold Alexander Sloan Second Lieutenant Royal Garrison Artillery 198th Siege Battery, Heavy Corps. 21/01/1917 34 Dublin (1901 Census) Killed in action Son of the late Gilbert Sloan, of Dunsinea, Castleknock; Husband of Mabel F. Sloan, of Barbizon, Blackrock, County Dublin. The Weekly Irish Times. Ireland’s Roll of Honour. February 17, 1917. Second Lieutenant Harold A Sloan, Royal Garrison Artillery, killed in action, was the third son of the late Mr Gilbert Sloan, and of Mrs Sloan, Dunsinea, Castleknock, County Dublin. Lieutenant Sloan was one of the finest Association football forwards in Ireland and was a member of the Bohemians Club, which he represented for several seasons. He represented Ireland in many internationas matches and captained the team on several occasions. Irish Times. Sloan-January 21, killed in action, Second Lieutenant, Harold A Sloan, RGA, Brabizon, Blackrock, Dublin, son of the late Gilbert Sloan, Dunsinea, Castleknock, County Dublin. I. B. 4. Guards Cemetery, Combles, France.
Dublin George Elwood Stephenson Private Canadian Infantry 44th Battalion 234607 10/05/1917 34 Dublin Mortlach, Sask. Killed in action Son of Matthew James Stephenson and Selina Stephenson (now Mrs Percival). Nexdt of kin listed as Mrs Percival,l 9 Dunville Avenue, Rathines, County Dublin. The Weekly Irish Times. Ireland’s Roll of Honour. June 9, 1917. Private George Elwood Stephenson, Canadian Infantry, who was killed in action on10th May, was the third son of the late Mr M J Stephenson, and of Mrs Percival, 9 Dunville Avenue, Rathmines. He joined the Army last Autumn in Winnipeg, and came to England in December. He was 30 years of age. Irish Times. Stephenson-May 10, killed in action, George Elwood Stephenson, Canadian Infantry, son of the late M J Stephenson, and Mrs Percival, 9 Dunville Avenue, Rathmines. Vimy Memorial in France.
Dublin Richard Thomas Sutton Captain Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers 7th Battalion. 03/10/1918 39 Dublin (1911 Census). Died of wounds Member of the Cork National Volunteers. Son of Samuel Sutton, of Kingstown, Co. Dublin. I. H. 47. Templeux-Le-Guerard British Cemetery in France.
Dublin Richard Sealy Swan Sergeant Royal Dublin Fusiliers 7th Battalion. 14221 15/08/1916 41 Rathmines, County Dublin Dublin Died in the Balkans Son of Thomas E. and Emily F. Swan, of Dublin. The Irish Times, August 8, 1924. Roll of Honour. In Memoriam. Swan-In affectionate remembrance of Richard S Swan (Dickie), D Company, 7th Royal Dublin Fusiliers, who died at Salonika August 15th, 1916. Swan-In loving memory of Richard Sealy Swan, Royal Dublin Fusiliers (The Pals), who died at Salonika, August 15th, 1916. The Weekly Irish Times. Ireland’s Roll of Honour. September 2, 1916. Sergeant Richard Sealy Swan, Royal Dublin Fusiliers, whose death is announced in hospital, on August 15th, from illness contracted on active service, was the second son of the late T.E., and Mrs Emily F Swan, of Dublin. He was formerly employed in the Secretary’s Office of the Bank of Ireland, College Green, Dublin. 312 Salonika ( Lembet Road ) Military Cemetery in Greece.
Dublin Fitzherbert Paget Synnott Second Lieutenant Royal Welsh Fusiliers 5th Battalion. 10/08/1915 21 Dublin City Killed in action Son of Henry and Jane Elizabeth Synnott, brother of Frederick William, and Ethel Sarah Synnott, listed in the 1911 Census in Ranelagh Road, Dublin. Irish Times. Synott-August 10, 1915, killed in action at the Dardanelles, Lieutenant Fitzherbert Paget Synnott, 5th Battalion Royal Welsh Fusiliers, younger son of Henry and Jane Synnott, 4 Maxwell Road, Rathgar, aged 21 years. “Thine eyes shall see the King in His beauty.” Irish Times. Second Lieutenant Fitzherbert P Synnott. A telegram was received on Tuesday by Mr Henry Synnott, Maxwell Road, Rathgar (a member of the staff of the (Irish Times), that his younger son, Second Lieutenant Fitzherbert Paget Synnott, 1/5th (Flintshire) Battalion (T.F.) Royal Welsh Fusiliers, had been killed in action in the Dardanelles. This young officer who was on the staff of the Irish Agricultural Department, was 21 years of age. He was educated at the High School, Dublin, and obtained his commission on August 26th, 1914, from the O.T.C., T.C.D. His brother is an officer in the Royal Irish Fusiliers. Panel 77 to 80. Helles Memorial
Dublin Francis Mortimer Taylor Major Royal Army Medical Corps 17/03/1919 30 Dublin (1911 Census). Dublin Killed in action Son of Sir John J. Taylor, K.C.B., and Lady Taylor, Formerly of Dublin Castle, and now of Moor Park, Herts. Weekly Irish Times, May 17, 1919. Roll of Honour. Taylor-March 17, 1919, killed in action, Major F M M.C., RANC., son of Mr J J Taylor, C.B., Assistant Under Secretary, Dublin Castle. Archangel Memorial in the Russian Federation.
Dublin Henry Walter Cecil Weldon Second Lieutenant Royal Irish Fusiliers 7th Battalion 26/04/1916 34 Killed in action Son of Sarah and the late Henry Walter Weldon, of 72, Pembroke Rd., Dublin. Native of Bantry, Co. Cork. ‘Our Heroes’. Published 1916. Lieutenant H W Cecil Weldon, Royal Irish Fusiliers, who was killed in action on April 28th last, was the second son of the late Mr Henry Walter Weldon, Bantry, County Cork, and of Mrs Weldon, Belmont Avenue, Donnybrook. He wa educated at the High School, Dublin, and subsequently entered the service of the provincial Bank. On the outbreak of the war he returned from Persia, where he held an appointment, and received his Commission in the East Surrey regiment, afterwards transferring to the Royal Irish Fusiliers. He went to the front in February, 1916, and had quite recently been promoted. Limerick Chronicle, May, 1916.Second Lieutenant H W C Weldon, R.I.Fusiliers, killed in action on the 27th ult, was a son of Mrs Weldon, Belmont Avenue, Cloughjordan. Killed in Action. II G 24 Vermelles British Cemetery in France.
Dublin John Henry Wisdom Private 2nd Dragoon Guards (Queen's Bays) 8641 26/01/1916 42 Dublin Hammersmith Killed in action Son of the late Thomas Hume Wisdom, of 17, Greenmount Road, Terenure, Dublin. Enlisted from the Ecclesiastical Commission. Panel 1. Loos Memorial in France.
Dublin Lionel George Worthington-Eyre Lieutenant Royal Field Artillery "D" Battery. 78th Bde 14/07/1917 23 Dublin (1901 Census) Killed in action Son of William Ingram Worthington-Eyre and Grace Geraldine Worthington-Eyre, of 12, Tivoli Terrace, South Kingstown, County Dublin. The Irish Times, July 14, 1922. Roll of Honour. In Memoriam. Worthington-Eyre-In memory of Lionel George Worthington-Eyre, Lieutenant (A.C). R.F.A., killed in action on the Arras front, 14th July, 1917, aged 22 years. The Weekly Irish Times. Ireland’s Roll of Honour. August 4, 1917. Lieutenant L George Worthington-Eyre, Royal Field Artillery, killed in action on July 14th, was the seond son of Mr and mrs W J Worthington-Eyre, of 12 Tivoli Terrace, East, Kingstown, County Dublin, and grandson of the late Thomas Stratford Eyre, of Eyreville, County Galway, and was 23 years of age. He was educated at Corrig School, Kingstown, and High School, Dublin. He entered Trinity College, Dublin, at 18 yars of age, and at the outbreak of war was in the Engineering School. Having been a member of the Officers Training Corps he was gazetted second lieutenant in the Royal Artillery on June 23rd, 1915. He was mentioned in despatches by Sir Douglas Haig on May 18th, 1917. His Major, writing to his mother, says;--“He met his death whilst engaged in destroying an enemy machine gun emplacement…..The Royal Irish Regiment has lost a smart and promising young officer, who, by his keen devotion to duty and tactful way, won the highest admiration of his brother officers and men in the division.” He has two brothers serving, Lieutenant W S Worthington-Eyre, R.E., in Egypt, and Robert Worthington-Eyre in the Australian Infantry. B. 9. Beaurains Road Cemetery, Beaurai

From my Dublin files.

Cheers.

Tom.

Dublin Charles Henry Alexander Lieutenant Australian Light Trench Mortar Battery 9th 08/06/1917 33 Son of David McGowan Alexander and Emily Frances Alexander, of 71 Frankfort Avenue, Dublin. Ireland. A. 15. Toronto Avenue Cemetery, Belgium..
Dublin Henry McDonnell Anderson Lieutenant Northumberland Fusiliers "D" Coy, 5th Battalion. 30/05/1918 25 Killed in action Son of John and Mary Andwerson, of 32 Dargle Road,. Drumcondra, Dublin. Native of Portaferry, County Down. The Irish Times, May 30, 1919. Roll of Honour. Anderson-In loving memory of Lieutenant H McD Anderson (Harry), Northumberland Fusiliers, who died in hospital at Doullens, France, (hospital bombed), 30th May, 1918. Irish Independent. Lieutenant H McD Anderson, Died of wounds, son of Mr John Anderson, 32 Dargle Road, Dublin. he had been wounded and in hospital when it was bombed by enemy aircraft. III. A. 9. Bagneux British Cemetery, Gezaincourt in France..
Dublin Walter D'Ancie Appleyard Private Royal Dublin Fusiliers. 7th Battalion 14789 16/08/1915 Dublin Dublin Killed in Action in Gallipoli. The Irish Times. Ireland’s Roll of Honour. August 19, 1916. Private G S Appleyard, Leinster Regiment, wounded in action, is the eldest son of the late Mr William Appleyard, Church of Ireland Representative Body, and Mrs Appleyard, 31 Sandford Road, Dublin. he was educated at the High School, Dublin, and was on the staff of the Bank of Ireland, College Green, when he volunteered for active service soon after the outbreak of war. He is at present in hospital in England, where he is progressing favourably. His brother, Walter, was killed last year in Gallipoli. The Irish Times, August 16, 1922. Roll of Honour. In Memoriam. Appleyard-In proud and loving memory of Walter D’Ancie Appleyard, killed in action, at Gallipoli, 16th August, 1915, third son of Mrs Appleyard, 32, Sandford Road. Panel 190 to 196 Helles Memorial in Turkey.
Dublin Albert Henry Bailey Lance Corporal Auckland Mounted Rifles, N.Z.E.F. 13/970A 08/08/1915 Son of Mrs Anna Bailey, of 74 St Lawrence Road, Dublin, Ireland. Irish Times. Bailey-August 8. 1915, killed in action in Gallipoli, Trooper Albert H Bailey, Auckland Mounted Rifle regiment, New Zealand Forces, youngest son of Mr and Mrs Bailey, 74 St Lawrence Road, Clontarf. 1 Chunuk Bair ( New Zealand ) Memorial in Turkey.
Dublin Louis Barron Lieutenant Border Regiment 10th Battalion attached to the 2/6th Warwick Regiment 19/07/1916 27 Killed in action Son of Esther Barron, of 38 South Circular Road, Portobello, Dublin, and the late Hyman A Barron. A Solicitor. Panel 68 and 69. Loos Memorial in France.
Dublin William Francis Benson Sub-Lieutenant Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve Drake Battalion. R.N. Div. 08/10/1918 23 Son of Mary Jane Benson, of 46, Reuben Avenue, South Circular Road, Dublin, and the late William Benson. Irish Independent; Officers in the casualty lists...Second Lieutenant W F Benson, Reuben Avenue, SCR, served with the RAMC in Dublin during the Rising of 1916. V. B. 1. Cambrai East Military cemetery, Nord, France.
Dublin Richard Gardiner Brewster Second Lieutenant Royal Irish Regiment 7th (South Irish Horse) Battalion. 21/03/1918 25 Dubin City Killed in action Son of Susan M. Brewster, of "Audenville," Iona Road, Glasnevin, Dublin, and the late William Theodore Brewster. The Irish Times, March 21, 1919. In Memoriam. Brewster-In affectionate remembrance of Richard, South Horse, who paid the supreme sacrifice, March 21st, 1918. “He has fought the good fight.” Inserted by his sisters and brothers….Brewster-In loving memory of our dear son, Richard Gardiner, Second Lieutenant South Irish Horse, First Expeditionary Force, killed in action, near ronsoy, march 21, 1918, second eldest son of Mr and Mrs Brewster, Audenville, Iona Road. “He was not, for God took him.” Irish Independent; Brewster—Mr and Brewster and family, of “Audenville,” Iona Road, Glasnevin, Dublin, beg to tender their grateful thanks to their many friends for their sympathy in the reported loss in action of their dear son, Second Lieutenant Richard G Brewster, South Irish Horse, and to ask them to accept this acknowledgement, as it is impossible to communicate with all individually, as they would wish. Westmeath Independent, October, 1914. Soldiers Letters. “A Fairly Quiet Time.” His many friends will be pleased to learn that Mr Richard Brewster (son of Mr W T Brewster, Secretary and Manager of the “Independent Newspapers” Ltd), who is serving with the South Irish Horse in the Expeditionary Force in France, is, to quote his won words, “quite well and still in the land of the living.” Writing to his sister, Mr Brewster says; “We are having a fairly quiet time just now, but are expecting more excitement shortly. We are all being inoculated to-day against typhoid fever. I believe it makes one sicker about a day, but its worth getting done, so we will often have to drink fairly unclean water perhaps. “I heard a couple of days ago in a letter from a fellow in Dublin to a fellow here that some of us were reported dead—myself killed and another dead from pneumonia. For God’s sake never believe a single report of that kind unless it is given by authority of the War Office I can assure you that if you heard it, I am still quite a lively ‘corpse.’ “Don’t forget to send me later on a piece of plum pudding because I don’t expect to be home this side of Christmas.” Writing to friends in Athlone under date October 1st, Mr Brewster, who is full of optimism, says;--“It is a great experience here and I would not miss it for worlds. We are very well fed and clothed and needless to say are in good form and spirits. No news from here of course so good-bye.” Br Brewster is serving with the South Irish Horse, and some few weeks ago was reported as dead or missing. His interesting letters show that he is very much alive and taking his soldiering duties very pleasantly. Westmeath Independent, April, 1918. Lieutenant Richard Brewster. Son of Mr W T Brewster, manager and secretary of the “Irish Independent” has been missing since the earlier engagements of the present great push. The gallant young soldier has seen a great deal of active service since the early stages of the war and put up a fine military record. Naturally great uneasiness has been caused his family by the intelligence that he is missing. We sincerely hope more satisfactory news may speedily reach them. Westmeath Independent, August, 1918. Late Second Lieutenant Brewster, S.I.H. What promised to be an exceptionally brilliant career has been cut short by the death of Second Lieutenant R Brewster, of the South Irish Horse, who was reported “missing” after the big offensive last March, and is not officially reported killed. Before joining up at the outbreak of the war the deceased young gentleman who had a distinguished collegiate course, held a Civil Service appointment in the Department of Agriculture. He was immensely popular with all who knew him, and during his war service earned unstinted credit from his superiors for skill and efficiency. We sincerely convey our regret to his father, Mr W T Brewster, Secretary and Manager of the “Irish Independent” papers, and to the other members of his family. Irish Independent; In Memoriam. Brewster-In loving memory of our dear son, Richard Gardiner, second Lieutenant, South Irish Horse, First Expeditionary Force, killed in action, near Rossnoy, March 21, 1918, second eldest son of Mr and Mrs Brewster, Audenville, Iona Road. “He was not, for God took him.” Irish Independent; Lieutenant Brewster’s Death Recorded. Sincere sympathy will be extended by many friends to Mr William T Brewster and family, “Audenville,” Iona Road, Glasnevin, manager and secretary, Independent Newspapers, Ltd., who has been officially notified that his second son, Richard G Brewster, Second Lieutenant South Irish Horse, was killed in action on 1st March last, having been at first reported missing. He was educated at the High School, Dublin, took 1st place, United Kingdom, in the 2nd Division Civil Service examination, and was engaged when war broke out in the Department of Agriculture. He served in France with the First Expeditionary Force from August 17, 1914, took part in the retreat from Mons, was decorated with the Mons Star, and was at the Marne and Aisne and the first battle of Ypres. He served afterwards with the Squadron S.I.H.engaged as divisional cavalry to 2nd Division, and was sent home for a commission in November, 1916, being trained at Netheravon. Having received the commission in his own Regiment, the S.I.H. in February, 1917, he returned to France in April, 1917, and served with distinction (when attached to the Royal Irish Regiment) he took part in the operations at Rossoy, near St Quentin, with the 16th Division, and was reported missing, and subsequently reported killed in battle near Rossoy on March 21, 1918. Irish Independent; Military Promotion.—Mr Richard Brewster, second son of Mr W T Brewsster, manager of the “Irish Independent,” who has been gazetted a Second Lieutenant in the South Irish Horse, has been in France since August, 1914, and has therefore, seen a considerable amount of fighting. His younger brother, Mr Theodore Brewster, who has also been in the firing line with the same corps, has also been selected for a commission, and is at present in a training school. Irish Independent; Brewster-In loving memory of our dear son, Richard Gardiner, Second Lieutenant, S.I.H., First Expeditionary Force, killed in action near Ronssoy, March 21, 1918, second eldest son of Mr and Mrs Brewster, Audenville, Iona Road. “He was not, for God took him.”…Brewster-In affectionate remembrance of Richard S.I.H., who paid supreme sacrifice March 21, 1918. “He has fought the good fight.”-Inserted by his sisters and brothers. Panel 6. Pozieres Memorial in France.
Dublin Charles Sless Burrows Captain Northumberland Fusiliers 14th Battalion. 28/05/1918 33 Belfast Dublin Killed in action Won the Military Cross and is listed in the London Gazette. Son of Alex Charles and Ida Burrows, brother of John and Emily Borrows, listed in the 1901 Census in Adelaide Road, Dublin. Irish Times. Burrows-May 28. Killed in action, Captain Charles S Burrows, M.C., Northumberland Fusiliers, son of the late Alexander Charles and of Mrs Burrows, 8 Albert Villas, Morehampton Road, Dublin.
Dublin George Victor Butler Lieutenant Lincolnshire Regiment 2nd/5th Battalion. 23/03/1918 29 Rathgar, Dublin Dublin Killed in action Son of Joseph Marshall MacDermott Butler and Margaret Mary Butler, of 3, Rhoda Villas, Sutton, County Dublin. Irish Times. Butler-March 26, killed in action, George Victor Butler, Lieutenant Lincoln regiment, son of J Marshall and Metu(?) Butler, Suncroft, Sutton, County Dublin. Irish Independent; Lieutenant G V Butler, son of Mr J M Butler, Suncroft, Sutton, County Dublin (on March 26). Special Memorial Douchy-Les-Ayette British Cemetery in France. in France.
Dublin George Herbert Cross Captain Army Service Corps Attached to the 9th Battalion, Royal Irish Fusiliers 30/09/1918 25 Scotland Rathmines, Dublin Killed in action Son of Mr. W. H. and Mrs. E. Cross, of 1, Effra Road, Rathmines, Dublin. The Irish Times, September 30, 1924. Roll of Honour. In Memoriam. Cross-In loving memory of my dear son, G H Cross, Captain, R.A.S.C., attached Royal Irish Fusiliers, killed in action in France, September 30th, 1918. IV. F. 27. Dadizeele New British Cemetery in Belgium.
Dublin Norman Frank Currall Second Lieutenant East Lancashire Regiment 1st Battalion 18/10/1916 18 Leamington, Warwickshire Killed in action Son of Percy Frank and Kate Currall, brother of Doris Muriel Currall, listed in the 1911 Census in Windsor Road, Rathmines and Rathgar East, Dublin The Weekly Irish Times. Ireland’s Roll of Honour. November 17, 1917. Second Lieutenant N F Currall, East Lancashire Regiment, who was reported missing on October 18th last year, and is now officially presumed to have been killed in action on that date, was the only son of Mr Percy F Currall, formerly District Manager Post Office Telephones, Dublin, and at present Ditrict Manager, Post Office Telephones, Brighton. Second Lieutenant Currall was a student at the Royal College of Science, and a member of the Trinity College, O.T.C. He received his commission in the East Lancashires in 1915, and went to the front in the summer of last year. His Colonel, in a letter to Lieutenant Currall’s parents, says;-“Your son was an extremely capable officer, and one who had made himself most popular amongst his comrades.” The chaplain writes;-“The company of which your son was in went forward woth magnificent dash…he was gallant soldier, who has won the respect of all his brother officers and the regard of the men in his platoon.” Pier and Face 16 C Thiepval Memorial
Dublin Thomas Alexander David Deane Lieutenant Royal Marine Light Infantry Portsmouth Battalion, Royal Naval Division 03/05/1915 22 Bray, County Wicklow Only son of Sir Thomas Manly Deane, B.A., and Lady Deane (nee Wright), of Erw-Lydan, Penmaenmawr, Carnarvonshire. Formerly of Dublin. Irish Independent; Second Lieutenant T A D Deans, RMLI, who is reported from the Dardanelles as missing, is the only son of Sir Thomas M Deane, B.A., RHA. Ailesbury Park, Dublin. He received his commission in February. Previously he had been a member of the Dublin University Officers Training Corps. Irish Times. Bray Memorial Service. The name of Lieutenant T M Deane, son of Sir Thomas Deane, was by accident omitted from the list of Old Ardvonians who have fallen. Lieutenant Deane, a most promising young officer, was killed in action in the Dardanelles early in May last. The Weekly Irish Times. Ireland’s Roll of Honour. May 29, 1915. Second Lieutenant T A D Deane. On May 14, we reported that second Lieutenant Thomas A D Deane, R.M.L.I., Portsmouth Battalion Royal Naval Division, was reported under date 10th May, as missing in operations at the Dardanelles, and it is now reported that he is killed. He was the only son of Sir Thomas M Deane, B.A., R.H.A., of Ailesbury Park, Dublin. Panel 2 to 7 Helles Memorial in Turkey.
Dublin George Grant Duggan Captain Royal Irish Fusiliers 5th Battalion 16/08/1915 29 Died of wounds Son of George and Emilie Duggan, of Ferney, Greystones, Co. Wicklow; husband of Dorothy Duggan, of Glenvar, St. Kevin's Park, Rathgar, Dublin. B. A, Trinity College, Dublin. Member of the Dublin University Athletic Union; also an Irish International cross country runner. As part of the 10th Irish Division in Gallipoli he died of wounds during the fight for Kislagh Dagh and is mentioned in the book ‘ The Irish at the Front’ by Michael McDonagh. His brother Lt J. R. Duggan 5th Bn, Royal Irish Regiment died ( age at death 20) the same day in the Dardinelles. His son DERMOT HARRY TUTHILL DUGGAN died during ww2 on H. M. S. Ardent where he was a surgeon. De Ruvigny’s Roll of Honour. DUGGAN, GEORGE GRANT, Capt, 5th (Service) Batt~. Royal Irish Fusiliers, 3rd s. of George Duggan, of 5, College Steet, Dublin & Ferney, Greystones, co. Wicklow, Manager, Provincial Bank of Ireland, Ltd, Dublin, by his wife, Emilie Asenath, dau. of Col. Charles Coote Grant, late Bedfordshire Regt. (died 23 Aug. 1914) b. Birr, Kings Co, 12 April, 1886 educ. High School, and Trinity College, Dublin, where he graduated BA. in 1908; and on leaving there entered the service of the Irish Lights Commissioners. He was one of the original members of the Dublin University O. T. C. and was one of the first N. C. O. to be appointed, being promoted Corpl. 1910, and the following year was one of small body of N. C. O. and Cadets. specially selected for exceptional efficiency and smartness, to attend the coronation. He subsequently (27 Jan. 1912) received a commission on the unattached list (TF. ) for service with the D. U. O. T. C, and was promoted Lieut. 8 Feb. 1913. He qualified at the School of Musketry, Hythe, in March, 1914, and was appointed to the command of a platoon in the School of Instruction for officers of the new Armies established in Trinity College in Sept. of the same year. On the temporary closing of this school, about the middle of the following month, he joined the 5th Battn. Royal Irish Fusiliers as Lieut, and was at once promoted to the command of a company, with the rank of temporary Capt, 28 Oct. 1914. He left with his regt. for the Dardanelles, early in July, 1915; took part in the landing at Sulva Bay, 6 Aug. 1915, and in the severe fighting there during the following ten days was severely wounded on the 16th on the Ridge over the Bay, and died the same day on board H. M. hospital ship Gloucester Castle. Buried that night in the Egean Sea. His yst. brother fell in action there the same day (see following notice). Capt. Duggan, of a bright and genial disposition, was one of the finest long-distance runners that Trinity College has ever possessed, and it would be no light task to compile a list of his many triumphs in the College Park, with the D. U. Harriers, in inter- University and in International contests. For several years he organised the College Races, and managed the affairs of the Dublin University Athletic Union with conspicuous success. But his greatest work was, undoubtedly, the inauguration of Trinity Week, an enterprise to which he devoted himself heart and soul, and of the original Committee of which he was the foremost member. He was also a former Scoutmaster of the 6th South County Dublin (Lesson Park) troop; a member of the Executive of the County Dublin Association and an active member of the Sea Scout Committee, in whose interests he worked until the outbreak of war. He m. at Christ Church, Leeson Park, Dublin, 24 Aug. 1910, Dorothy Isabella Tuthill (12, St. Reven's Park, Rathgar. Dublin), only child of the late Henry Johnson, of Oaklands, Upper Assam, and had two sons: George Villiers Grant, b. 31 5 May, 1911; and Dermot Harry Tuthill, b. 5 July. 1912. Unknown Irish Regional Newspaper; Captain George Grant Duggan and Lieutenant John Rowswell Duggan, the third and fifth sons of Mr and Mrs George Duggan, of 5, College Street, Dublin, have both died in the service of their country. Captain Duggan who died on August 17th of wounds received in Gallipoli on the previous day and was buried at sea, was 29 years old. He was educated at the High School, Dublin, and trinity College, Dublin, where he gained several honours and prizes and graduated in 1908. He distinguished himself as a long distance and cross country runner at trinity College and inaugurated Trinity Week. He also took an active in the Dublin University Officers Corps, and received a commission on the unattached list of the Territorial Force for service with the contingent. In March 1914, he qualified at the Hythe School of musketry, and in September of that year became Lieutenant in the 5th Royal Irish Fusiliers and in October received his company. He leaves a widow and two sons. King’s County Chronicle, September, 1915. Two Birr brothers killed. The death is announced on August 17th of Captain George Grant Duggan, aged 29, Royal Irish Fusiliers, as the result of wounds received at the Dardanelles on August 16th. He was buried at sea. He was the third son of Mr George Duggan, 5 College Street, Dublin, formerly in the Birr branch of the Provincial Bank. Lieut John Rowswell Duggan, 5th Royal Irish Regiment, killed in action at the Dardanelles on August 16th, aged 20, was the fifth son. Their parents were very popular in Birr and their friends here, including Mr and Miss St. George, deeply sympathise in their bereavement. Irish Independent; Captain G G Duggan, of the 5th Royal Irish Fusiliers, was killed at the Dardanelles on August 16. He was Hon. Secretary of the Dublin University sports, a few years ago, and while at college carried off numerous prizes in long-distance races. His younger brother, Lieutenant J R Duggan, was killed on the following day. The Weekly Irish Times. Ireland’s Roll of Honour. September 11, 1915. Two Brothers Killed. The death is announced on August 17th of Captain George Grant Duggan, 5th Royal Irish Fusiliers, as the result of wounds received at the Dardanelles on August 16th. Captain Duggan was buried at sea. His residence was 12 St Kevin’s Park, Rathgar, and he was the third son of Mr George Duggan, 6 College Street, Dublin. He was aged 29. Lieutenant John Rowswell Duggan, 5th Royal Irish Regiment, killed in action at the Dardanelles on 16th August, was the fifth son of Mr George Duggan. Panel 178 to 180 Helles Memorial in Turkey and he is also commemorated on a marble plaque on the walls of the reading room in Trinity College, Dublin.
Dublin John Rowswell Duggan Lieutenant Royal Irish Regiment 5th Battalion. (Pioneers) 16/08/1915 21 Dublin Killed in action Brother of George Grant Duggan above who died on the same day. De Ruvigny’s Roll of Honour. Son of George Duggan, of 5, College Street. Dublin and Fernay Greystones, Co. Wicklow. Manager Provincial Bank of Ireland, Ltd, Dublin, by his wife, Emilie Asenath, dau. of Col. Charles Coote Grant, late Bedfordshire Regt. ; b. Dublin, 31 Oct. 1894; educ. The High School, Dublin, where he won a 1st Class Scholarship, and passed into Trinity College, Dublin, in 1912. There he joined the Medical School and became, like his brother, a prominent Member of the O. T. C. On the out-break of war he relinquished his medical studies and was gazetted 2nd Lieut, 5th Royal Irish Regt, 15 Aug. 1914, and promoted Lieut, 28 Jan. 1915. He left with his regt. for the Dardanelles early in July 1915, as part of the 10th Division, and was killed in action on the Karakol Dagh Spur. above Sulva Bay, 16 Aug. 1915; unm. He was at first reported wounded and missing and no officer saw him fall, but the Medical Officer of the Dressing Station at Sulva Bay, to whom Lieut. Duggan went when shot through his left wrist and with shrapnel injury to face and side, told him he should go to the Hospital Ship. He said his men were without an officer so he rejoined them in the firing line, and the subsequent story is briefly told by his Sergt. P J Nolan (on whose testimony his death was officially reported). "He left the firing line, had his wounds dressed and returned shortly afterwards, where he was hit in the face with an explosive bullet and killed. " To his father, Sergt. Nolan wrote: "Your son could have saved his own life, but he was always good to his men and he died encouraging them to fight till the last"; and his Col, ~ Earl of Granard, wrote "I am sorry to tell you that your son has been missing since 10 Aug. He went with his company into action our that date, and we have not seen him since. I have enquired from several of the men of his company and they all tell me that he was wounded whilst gallantly leading his men. I sincerely hope that he is a prisoner, and it is always a consolation to know that the Turks treat their prisoners with the greatest consideration. I have now soldiered for a great many years and can honestly say that I never came across a better subaltern; and as regards his social qualifications, he was beloved by all ranks of the regt. " Lieut. Duggan was a noted rifle shot and won many medals and prizes, including Daily Express and Lord Roberts Medals; Adjutants cup of Trinity College, O. T. C, and he was presented with a rifle for the highest aggregate score in Leinster Schools, 1912. Lieutenant J. R. Duggan was killed on August 16th in Gallipoli, aged 30. He was educated at the High School, Dublin, where he won a first clas scholarship and entered Trinity College in 1912. There he joined the Medical School, but on the outbreak of war he decided to relinquish his medical studies and was gazetted second Lieutenant in the 5th Royal Irish Regiment. Two brothers of these officers, Mr Duggan’s second and fourth sons, are in the Naval Service, one being in the Transport Department at Whitehall and the other an assistant paymaster in a battleship. The Weekly Irish Times. Ireland’s Roll of Honour. September 11, 1915. Two Brothers Killed. The death is announced on August 17th of Captain George Grant Duggan, 5th Royal Irish Fusiliers, as the result of wounds received at the Dardanelles on August 16th. Captain Duggan was buried at sea. His residence was 12 St Kevin’s Park, Rathgar, and he was the third son of Mr George Duggan, 6 College Street, Dublin. He was aged 29. Lieutenant John Rowswell Duggan, 5th Royal Irish Regimen, killed in action at the Dardanelles on 16th August, was the fifth son of Mr George Duggan. Irish Times. There is an image in the Irish Times of this man. Lieutenant J R Duggan, 5th Royal Irish Regiment, killed at the Dardanelles, was the son of Mr and Mrs George Duggan, 5 College Street, Dublin. Special Memorial 9 AZMAK Cemetery in Suvla, Turkey and he is also commemorated on a marble plaque on the walls of the reading room in Trinity College, Dublin.
Dublin Charles Arthur Findlater Lance Sergeant Royal Dublin Fusiliers 10th Battalion. 14646 13/11/1916 46 Dublin Dublin Dublin Killed in action Son of John and Mary Findlater, of Monkstown, County Dublin. The Weekly Irish Times. Ireland’s Roll of Honour. December 16, 1916. Sergeant Charles Arthur Findlater, Royal Dublin Fusiliers, killed in action on 13th November, 1916, in his 47th year, was a son of the late Mr John Findlater and Mrs Findlater, Melbeach, Monkstown, County Dublin. He joined the D Company, 7th Royal Dublin Fusiliers, as a private at the outbreak of the war, and was wounded on the 21st August, 1915, at the Dardanelles. He later joined up with another battalion. He was a brother of Lance Corporal Herbert S Findlater, 7th Royal Dublin Fusiliers, “Pals” Battalion, who was reported wounded and missing at Gallipoli, and of Captain Alex Findlater, D.S.O., London Mounted Brigade Field Ambulance, who is at present in the Balkans. VI. J. 7. Tincourt New British Cemetery in France.
Dublin George Finney Flight Cadet Royal Air Force and 53rd Battalion, Hampshire Regiment TR//8/25444 01/08/1918 18 Dublin Died Son of George and Eda Finney, of St John's Cottage, Bagley, Oxford. Brother of Eda Finney. Listed in the 1901 Census living at Rathgar Road, Dublin. Irish Times. Finney-August 1, 1918, killed as the result of an aeroplane accident, Flight Cadet George Finney, Royal Air Force, son of George and Ede Finney, St John’s Cottage, Baglet Wood, Oxford, and formerly of Rathgar, County Dublin. The Irish Times, August 1, 1923. Roll of Honour.(1914-1918). In Memoriam. Finney-Fifth Anniversary-In loving memory of George Finney, Flight Cadet, H.M.Royal Air Force, accidentally killed at New Romney, during aerial tactics, on 1st August, 1918, aged 18 years, only son of George and Eda Finney, St John’s Cottage, Bagley Wood, Oxford, formerly of Alma ----, Rathgar Road, County Dublin. Hennington Cemetery, Berkshire.
Dublin Donald Lockhart Fletcher Second Lieutenant Leinster Regiment 4th Battalion, attached to 6th Battalion. 28/04/1917 20 Died Son of George and Henrietta Maria Fletcher, of "Mona," Shankill, County Dublin. Native of Derby. VII. B. 14. Struma Military Cemetery in Greece.
Dublin George Robert Fox Sergeant Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (Eastern Ontario Regiment) 1565 26/08/1918 24 Harolds Cross, Dublin Ottawa Son of William Bethel Fox and Elizabeth Margaret Fox, of Ireland; Husband of Elizabeth Mary Kearon (Formerly Fox), of West Street, Polruan, Fowey, Cornwall, England. Born at Harold's Cross, Dublin. IV. C. 13. Vis-en-Artois British Cemetery, Haucourt, Pas de Calais, France.
Dublin William James Francis Corporal Army Cyclist Corps 10th Battalion. 729 06/07/1917 23 Dublin Dublin Merrion, County Dublin Killed in action Only son of Frederick William and Amelia Jane Francis, of 18, Pembroke Estate Cottages, Merrion, County Dublin. The Weekly Irish Times. Ireland’s Roll of Honour. August 11, 1917. Corporal William James Francis, Army Cyclist Corps, who was killed by a fragment of a shell on 6th July last whilst on duty near the fornt line, was the only child of Mr and Mrs Francis, Merrion, County Dublin. He was born in 1893, and educated at the High School, Harcourt Street. On the outbreak of war he was employed as a clark in the Congested Districts Board, where he was held in high esteem by his colleages. He enlisted in the Ulster Division Cyclist Company in December, 1914, and had been engaged in several actions in different parts of the western front. His Company Commander has stated that Corporal Francis was “ a most willing and thoroughly reliable soldier, especially when acting on his own responsibility.” The Irish Times, July 6, 1923. Roll of Honour.(1914-1918). In Memoriam. Francis-In affectionate remembrance of our beloved only child, William James (Willie) Francis, Corporal, Army Cyclist Corps, killed in action, at Hollebeke, 6th July, 1917…….Francis-Willie, killed in Flanders July 6, 1917. “He loved honour and duty more than he feared death.” Gratefully and affectionately remembered by Aunt Annie, Walter, and George. H. 5. Oak Dump Cemetery in Belgium.
Dublin Albert Fisher Gibson Second Lieutenant Leinster Regiment Attached to 4th Squadron, Royal Flying Corps 24/03/1917 21 Dublin Killed in action Son of Robert Dane Gibson and Amy Gibson, of 20, Morehampton Road, Dublin. The Irish Times, March 24, 1921. In Memoriam. Gibson-In loving memory of Lieutenant Albert Fisher Gibson, R.F.C., killed in action, 24th March, 1917, fourth son of R D and Amy Gibson, Dunmore, Ballsbridge. “Peace, perfect peace.” The Irish Times, March 24, 1924. Roll of Honour.(1914-1918). In Memoriam. Gibson-In loving memory of Lieutenant Fisher Gibson, R.F.C., killed in action, 24th March, 1917. “Peace, perfect peace.” The Irish Times, March 24, 1925. Roll of Honour.(1914-1918). In Memoriam. Gibson-In loving memory of Albert Fisher Gibson, Lieutenant, Leinster Regiment (attached R Flying Corps), killed in action March 24th, 1917, aged 21 years. “Never shall his memory fade.” Dunmore, Holyrood. Irish Times. Gibson-March 24, (his 21st birthday), killed in action, Albert Fisher Gibson, Second Lieutenant, Leinster Regiment, and Royal Flying Corps, son of R D Gibson, Dunmore, Holyrood, Ballsbridge, Dublin. 7 Beugnatre Communal Cemetery.
Listed in the 1901 Census as Edward E Glorney. Dublin Ernest Edward Glorney Lieutenant Royal Flying Corps 25/10/1916 28 Dublin Killed Son of George and Mary Glorney, brotherof Cecil P and Susan M Glorney. Listed in the 1901 Census in Terenure, Dublin. Irish Times. Glorney-October 25, killed in aeroplane accident, Ernest E Lieutenant, RFC., son of the late George Glorney, and of Mrs Glorney, Allington, Ballsbridge. The Weekly Irish Times. Ireland’s Roll of Honour. November 4, 1916. Lieutenant E E Glorney, of the Royal Flying Corps, the youngest son of the late Mr George Glorney, and of Mrs Glorney, of Allington, Ballsbridge, Dublin, was killed in an aeroplane on 25th October. SW. Aa-Bb. 75. Dean’s Grange Cemetery, Dublin.
Dublin William Oswald Halpin Captain Royal Army Medical Corps Attached to the 4th Hussars 10/08/1918 31 Dublin Dublin Died of wounds Son of W. O. and Anna Maria Halpin, of The Laurels, Foxrock, County Dublin. Educated at Trinity College, Dublin, B.A., M.D., M.B., B.CH. and B.A.O. Irish Times. Halpin-August 10, 1918, died of wounds, Captain William Oswald Halpin,R.A.M.C., attached Hussars, son of Mrs Halpin, The Laurels, Foxrock, County Dublin. III. BB. 8. Villers-Bretonneux Military Cemetery in France.
Dublin John Henry Hancock Lieutenant Corps of Royal Engineers 129th Field Company 09/06/1917 22 Dublin Son of Wiliam Henry and Jane Hancock, of Bellevue Park, Cork, Greencroft, Rawdon, Leeds, and listed in the 1911 Census in Ulverton Road, Dalkey, County Dublin. Brother of Henry Frederick, Lilian Isabel, and Vera May Hancock. Irish Times. Hancock-June 9, killed in action, Lieutenant John Henry Hancock, Bellevue Park, Cork. The Weekly Irish Times. Ireland’s Roll of Honour. June 23, 1917. Lieutenant J H Hancock, Royal Engineers, was killed in action on 9th inst. he was the elder son of Mr and Mrs Hancock, Bellevue Park, Cork. B 37 Dickebusch New Military Cemetery in Belgium.
Dublin Desmond Patrick Webb Carter Lieutenant Royal Engineers 1st Field Signal Company. 12/12/1916 19 Died Native of Bedford. Son of Major General SirJohn and Lady Carter, of Malahide, County Dublin. IV. E. 29. Dernancourt Communal Cemetery Extension in France.
Dublin Frederick Alfred Harrison Second Lieutenant Leinster Regiment 3rd Battalion, attached to the 6th Battalion, Royal Irish Regiment. 09/09/1916 23 Killed in action Son of Arthur and Marjorie Harrison, of Dublin. XXIV. G. 8. Delville Wood Cemetery, Longueval in France.
Dublin Henry Thomas Henley Second Lieutenant Royal Irish Rifles 7th Battalion 08/03/1917 Killed in action Irish Times. Henley-March 8, killed in action, second Lieutenant Harry T Henley, Royal Irish Rifles, son of J W Henley and Mrs Henley, Glenview, Shankill. N 53 Kemmel Chateau Military Cemetery in Belgium.
Dublin Arthur Benedict Edward Hillas Captain Gordon Highlanders 7th (Deeseide Highland) Battalion (Territorial). 23/04/1917 41 Rathdown, County Dublin Killed in action Son of R W and Alice Hillas, of Doonecoy, Templeboy, County Sligo. Irish Times. Hillas-April 23, 1917, killed in action (preciously reported wounded and missing), Captain Arthur B E Hillas, Gordon Highlanders, son of the late R W Hillas, Esq, D.L., Doonecoy House, Templeboy, County Sligo, and Farm Hill, Dundrum, County Dundrum, and of Mrs Hillas, 8 Lower Fitzwilliam Street, Dublin The Weekly Irish Times. Ireland’s Roll of Honour. February 16, 1918. Captain Arthur B E Hillas, who was formerly reported wounded and missing, is now reported to have been killed in action on April 23rd, 1917. He was connected with the Gordon Highlanders, and was the elder son of the late Mr R W Hillas, D.L., Doonecoy House, Templeboy, County Sligo, and Farm Hill, Dundrum, County Dublin, and of Mrs Hillas, of Lower Fitzwilliam Street, Dublin. III E 11 Bailleul Road East Cemetery, St Lauren-Balngy, France.
Dublin Herbert Horace Hopkins Lieutenant South African Special Service Company 25/07/1918 39 Dublin Husband of Beatrice Hopkins, of 21, Union Mansions, Pretoria. Born at Dublin, Ireland. The Irish Times, July 25, 1924. Roll of Honour.(1914-1918). In Memoriam. Hopkins-In fond and loving memory of Lieutenant H Horace Hopkins, A.R.M., Johannesburg, elder son of the late B B Hopkins, and Mrs Hopkins, Lansdowne Terrace, Dublin, who died of wounds at Portuguese East Africa, 25th July, 1918. “Out of the shadows into eternal day.” I. A. 1. Lumbo British Cemetery
Ser No 13832 (SDGW). Dublin James Kelly Corporal Royal Dublin Fusiliers 7th Battalion. 13822 20/09/1915 18 Wigan Dublin Killed in action in Gallipoli Son of James and Edith Kelly, of 9, Tower Avenue, Rathgar, County Dublin. of Wigan. Special Memorial D. 5. Green Hill Cemetery in Turkey.
(Initially buried in) Bottom Wood Cemetery, (CWGC). Dublin Charles Annesley Kinnear Second Lieutenant Royal Field Artillery 50th Brigade 16/10/1916 19 Dublin (IMR+Census) Killed in action at Fricourt (IMR). Irish Independent, August, 23-1919…Irish National War Memorial…Subscriptions….Mr and Mrs Samuel Kinnear and family, “In fond and loving memory of Charlie.” Mem.9 Danzig Alley British Cemetery Mametz in France.
Dublin Ernest Walter Vinden Leach Captain Royal Irish Rifles 3rd Battalion attached to the 2nd Battalion 02/01/1917 21 Dublin Dublin Killed in action Son of Ernest William and Madelina Isabel Leach, brother of Noelle Francis Vindin, Madelina Annie Vindin, Edith Mary Vinden and Jack Vinden Leach, listed in the 1911 Census in Milltown Road, Rathmines and Rathgar East, Dublin. The Weekly Irish Times. Ireland’s Roll of Honour. January 20, 1917. The death in action is announced of Captain Leach, who was 20 years of age, was the elder son of Mr and Mrs E W Leach, Prospect House, Milltown, County Dublin. H 10 Hyde Park Corner (Royal Berks) Cemetery, Belgium.
leopold Charles Lebas, (IMR). Dublin Leopold Charles Le Bas Private South Irish Horse "A" Squadron. 1073 22/12/1915 19 Dublin Dublin Dublin Killed in action Son of Albert Le Bas, of 1, Le Bas Terrace, Leinster Rd. West, Rathmines, Dublin. The Irish Times. Ireland’s Roll of Honour. December 26, 1915. There is an image in the Irish Times of this man. Trooper Leo Le Bas, “A” Squadron, South Irish Horse, killed in action in France, was the youngest son of Mr Albert Le Bas, 1 Le Bas Terrace, Rathmines, County Dublin. Irish Times. Le Bas-December 22, 1915, killed in action in France,---Trooper, A Squadron, South Irish Horse, youngest son of Aubery Le Bas, --La Ras Terrace, Rathmines, aged 20 years. E. 12. Chapelle-D’Armentieres New Military Cemetery. Nord, France.
Dublin John Henry Frederick Leland Second Lieutenant Royal Welsh Fusiliers 5th Battalion. 10/08/1915 31 Drogheda, County Louth Killed in action Son of Henry and Laura Jane Leland, of 6, Idrone Terrace, Blackrock, County Dublin; Husband of Florence Mary Leland. B.A., Barrister-At-Law, Scholar and Moderator (Trinity College, Dublin). The Irish Times, August 9, 1924. Roll of Honour.(1914-1918). In Memoriam. Leland-In loving memory of John Henry Frederick Leland, Second Lieutenant, 5th Battalion, Royal Welsh Fusiliers, killed in action, Dardanelles, --August, 1915, eldest son of late Henry L and Mrs Leland, Blackrock, Dublin. The Weekly Irish Times. Ireland’s Roll of Honour. September 11, 1915. Lieutenant J H F Leland. A telegram was received on Monday saying that Lieutenant J H F Leland, 5th Royal Welsh Fusiliers, who was previously reported wounded, is now reported killed in action at the Dardanelles on August 10th. Lieutenant Leland, who was the eldest son of Mr and Mrs Henry Leland, Blackrock, was an ex-Scholar and Moderator of Trinity College, and a member of the Irish Bar. He was with the O.T.C. of Trinity College since its beginning. His youngest brother, Lieutenant F W H Lenad, is at present with the 7th Battalion Leinster Regiment. Lieutenant Leland who, at the outbreak of the war, was senior classical master at the Abbey, Tipperary, was not only a fine scholar, but an accomplished writer. He was a frequent contributer to the literary columns of the Irish Times. Panel 77 to 80. Helles Memorial in Turkey.
Marchant, Stewart (1911 and 1901 Census) Dublin Charles Stewart Marchant Second Lieutenant Royal Dublin Fusiliers 5th Battalion, attached to 9th Battalion. 04/06/1917 21 Dublin (Census) Killed in action Son of Thomas and Kathleen Marchant, of 2, Greenmount Road, Terenure, Dublin. Irish Times. Marchant-June 4, 1917, killed in action, C Stewart Marchant, Second Lieutenant Royal Dublin Fusiliers, elder and dearly loved son of T and Kathleen Marchant, 2 Greenmount Road, Terenure, aged 21 years. Irish Times. Marchant-June 4, killed in action, C Stewart Marchant, Second Lieutenant, Royal Dublin Fusiliers, son ro T F and Kathleen Marchant, 2 Greenmount Road, Terenure. The Weekly Irish Times. Ireland’s Roll of Honour. June 6, 1917. There is an image in the Irish Times of this man. By the death of Second Lieutenant Charles Stewart Marchant, Royal Dublin Fusiliers, the Clontarf Cricket Club has lost another of its most promising members. He was the son of Mr Y P Marchant, so well known in musical circles. Mr T P Marchant has received letters from the commanding officer and the adjutant of his son’s battalion, informing him that his son was killed by shell fire on the 4th inst, and testifying ti his ability as a soldier, and his popularity asa comrade. He enlisted in August, 1914, and was trained with the South Irish Horse, until he went abroad in December, 1914, with that regiment. He was recommended for, and received, his commission for services on the field, and was again sent to the front early in 1916. Lieutenant Marchant was educated at the High School, Dublin. He was only 21 years of age. I. C. 1. Loker Churchyard in Belgium.
Dublin Robert Sydney Mills Lieutenant Canadian Army Service Corps Training Depot 25/03/1916 42 Kingstown, County Dublin Quebec 52 Isabella Street, Toronto Died of heart failure Husband of Nora Mills, 52 Isabella Street, Toronto (enlsitment document). Son of Jamesand El;izabeth Mills, of County Meath, Ireland, husband of Nora Mills, of 59, Yorkville Avenue, Toronto. Served in the Ashanti Rebellion. Irish Times. Mills-March 25, at Westcliffe Military Hospital, Shorncliffe, of heart failure, Robert Sydney Mills, Lietenant, Canadian Army Service Corps, late of Toronto, son of the late James J Mills, formerly of Castle Odder, County Meath, and brother of Mrs Arthur Moore, 15 Ormond Road, Rathmines. M 16 Shorncliffe Military Cemetery.
Dublin George Francis Lambert Porter Captain West Yorkshire Regiment (Prince of Wales's Own) "A" Company. 11th Battalion. 08/06/1917 33 Dublin (1911 Census). Killed in action Son of George F. and Alice Porter, of Clontarf, Dublin; Husband of Marion Porter, of Belgrave Hall, Queen's Park, Monkstown, County Dublin. The Weekly Irish Times. Ireland’s Roll of Honour. June 23, 1917. News has been received by Mr and Mrs G F Porter, 10 Vernon Parade, Clontarf, of the death in action, on the 7th instant, of their eldest son, Second Lieutenant G F Lambert Porter, West Yorks Regiment. Mr Porter was in his thirty fourth year, and had been for a long period on the staff of the Sun Fire Office, College Green, Dublin. He was well known in Dublin musical circles, and was a member of the Masonic Order, of the Clontarf Football Club, and of the Neptune Rowing Club. His youngest brother, Cyril, was a private in the 7th Royal Dublins, and died in action in Serbia in December, 1915. Lieutenant Porter leaves a widow and one son. Irish Times. Porter-June 7, killed in action, G F Lambert Porter, Second Lieutenant West Yorkshire Regiment, son of George F and Alice Porter, 10 Vernon Parade, Clontarf. The Weekly Irish Times. Ireland’s Roll of Honour. June 23, 1917. News has been received by Mr and Mrs G F Porter, 10 Vernon Parade, Clontarf, of the death in action, on the 7th instant, of their eldest son, Second Lieutenant G F Lambert Porter, West Yorks Regiment. Mr Porter was in his thirty fourth year, and had been for a long period on the staff of the Sun Fire Office, College Green, Dublin. He was well known in Dublin musical circles, and was a member of the Masonic Order, of the Clontarf Football Club, and of the Neptune Rowing Club. His youngest brother, Cyril, was a private in the 7th Royal Dublins, and died in action in Serbia in December, 1915. Lieutenant Porter leaves a widow and one son. The Weekly Irish Times. Ireland’s Roll of Honour. July 7, 1917. Confirmation has been received of the death in action of Acting Captain G F Lambert Porter, West Yorkshire regiment, who, after a gallant and successful fight, on June 7th, was killed by a shell on the 8th, whilst leading against a fierce German counter attack. His Colonel, in a letter to his widow, refers to his gallantry and coolness beyond all praise, and emphaises the high esteem and confidence in which he was held. For a number of years previous to his taking up his commission in the West Yorkshire regiment, in July, 1915, Mr Porter had been on the staff of the Sun Fire Office, and was organist of Howth Presbyterian Church. His early ilitary training was obtained in the South Irish Horse in pre-war times, of which corps he ws as a member for five years. He was closely identified with music (being a Feis Ceoil prize-winner) and sport, and was a member of the Clef Club and the Clontarf Football and Neptune Rowing Clubs. He was also a member of the Masonic Order. Mr Porter was only 33, and leaves a young widow and son. His youngest brother, Private Cyril Porter, Royal Dublin Fusiliers, was killed in Serbia on December 8th, 1915. He was the eldest son of Mr and Mrs G F Porter, 10 Vernon Parade, Clontarf, Dublin. VII. N. 5. Railway Dugouts Burial Ground in Belgium.
Just guessing the next one;-
Dublin William Rice Able Seaman Mercantile Marine S.S. "Saint Barchan" (Glasgow) 21/10/1918 50 Dublin Son of the late Christopher and Alice Rice; Husband of Kate Rice (Nee Power), of 10, Cambridge Place, Ringsend, Dublin. Born at Dublin. Tower Hill Memorial, UK.
Dublin Reginald Trevor Roper Major Dorsetshire Regiment 1st Battalion. 12/10/1914 42 Killed in action Son of William and Georgina Roper of Dublin; Husband of Florence Alice Roper, of 6, Selwood Terrace, Onslow Gardens, London, S.W.7. Irish Times. Roper-October 12, 1914, killed in action near Bethune, Major R T Roper, Dorsetshire Regiment, the dearly-beloved husband of –Roper, and son of the late William and Mrs Roper, Beachfield, Sutton, County Dublin. V. A. 9. Brown’s Road Military Cemetery, Festubert in France.
His brother, William Sadleir, also died in the war. Dublin Gerald Thomas Sadleir Lance Corporal Australian Infantry, A. I. F. 54th Battalion 1992 15/05/1917 Dublin, (Records) Dubbo, New South Wales Killed in action Mr William Sadlier, 70 Sandfield Road, Dublin. (Records). His brother;-The Irish Times. Ireland’s Roll of Honour. December 26, 1915. There is an image in the Irish Times of this man. Trooper William Armstrong Sadlier, “A” Squadron, South Irish Horse, killed in action in France, was the eldest son of Mr William Sadlier, St Finda, Sandford Road, Dublin. Irish Times. Sadleir-May 15, killed in action, Corporal Gerald Thomas Sadleir (Lewis Machine Gun), Australian Imperial Force, son of Mr and Mrs W Sadleir, “St Finds,” Sandford Road, Dublin. The Weekly Irish Times. Ireland’s Roll of Honour. June 23, 1917. Corporal Gerald Thomas Sadleir, Australian Imperial Force (Lewis Machine Gun), who was killed in action of 15th May, aged 21 years, was the youngest son of Mr and Mrs W Sadleir, “St Finda,” Sandford Road, Dublin. Villers-Bretonneux Memorial in France.
Dublin Harold Alexander Sloan Second Lieutenant Royal Garrison Artillery 198th Siege Battery, Heavy Corps. 21/01/1917 34 Dublin (1901 Census) Killed in action Son of the late Gilbert Sloan, of Dunsinea, Castleknock; Husband of Mabel F. Sloan, of Barbizon, Blackrock, County Dublin. The Weekly Irish Times. Ireland’s Roll of Honour. February 17, 1917. Second Lieutenant Harold A Sloan, Royal Garrison Artillery, killed in action, was the third son of the late Mr Gilbert Sloan, and of Mrs Sloan, Dunsinea, Castleknock, County Dublin. Lieutenant Sloan was one of the finest Association football forwards in Ireland and was a member of the Bohemians Club, which he represented for several seasons. He represented Ireland in many internationas matches and captained the team on several occasions. Irish Times. Sloan-January 21, killed in action, Second Lieutenant, Harold A Sloan, RGA, Brabizon, Blackrock, Dublin, son of the late Gilbert Sloan, Dunsinea, Castleknock, County Dublin. I. B. 4. Guards Cemetery, Combles, France.
Dublin George Elwood Stephenson Private Canadian Infantry 44th Battalion 234607 10/05/1917 34 Dublin Mortlach, Sask. Killed in action Son of Matthew James Stephenson and Selina Stephenson (now Mrs Percival). Nexdt of kin listed as Mrs Percival,l 9 Dunville Avenue, Rathines, County Dublin. The Weekly Irish Times. Ireland’s Roll of Honour. June 9, 1917. Private George Elwood Stephenson, Canadian Infantry, who was killed in action on10th May, was the third son of the late Mr M J Stephenson, and of Mrs Percival, 9 Dunville Avenue, Rathmines. He joined the Army last Autumn in Winnipeg, and came to England in December. He was 30 years of age. Irish Times. Stephenson-May 10, killed in action, George Elwood Stephenson, Canadian Infantry, son of the late M J Stephenson, and Mrs Percival, 9 Dunville Avenue, Rathmines. Vimy Memorial in France.
Dublin Richard Thomas Sutton Captain Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers 7th Battalion. 03/10/1918 39 Dublin (1911 Census). Died of wounds Member of the Cork National Volunteers. Son of Samuel Sutton, of Kingstown, Co. Dublin. I. H. 47. Templeux-Le-Guerard British Cemetery in France.
Dublin Richard Sealy Swan Sergeant Royal Dublin Fusiliers 7th Battalion. 14221 15/08/1916 41 Rathmines, County Dublin Dublin Died in the Balkans Son of Thomas E. and Emily F. Swan, of Dublin. The Irish Times, August 8, 1924. Roll of Honour. In Memoriam. Swan-In affectionate remembrance of Richard S Swan (Dickie), D Company, 7th Royal Dublin Fusiliers, who died at Salonika August 15th, 1916. Swan-In loving memory of Richard Sealy Swan, Royal Dublin Fusiliers (The Pals), who died at Salonika, August 15th, 1916. The Weekly Irish Times. Ireland’s Roll of Honour. September 2, 1916. Sergeant Richard Sealy Swan, Royal Dublin Fusiliers, whose death is announced in hospital, on August 15th, from illness contracted on active service, was the second son of the late T.E., and Mrs Emily F Swan, of Dublin. He was formerly employed in the Secretary’s Office of the Bank of Ireland, College Green, Dublin. 312 Salonika ( Lembet Road ) Military Cemetery in Greece.
Dublin Fitzherbert Paget Synnott Second Lieutenant Royal Welsh Fusiliers 5th Battalion. 10/08/1915 21 Dublin City Killed in action Son of Henry and Jane Elizabeth Synnott, brother of Frederick William, and Ethel Sarah Synnott, listed in the 1911 Census in Ranelagh Road, Dublin. Irish Times. Synott-August 10, 1915, killed in action at the Dardanelles, Lieutenant Fitzherbert Paget Synnott, 5th Battalion Royal Welsh Fusiliers, younger son of Henry and Jane Synnott, 4 Maxwell Road, Rathgar, aged 21 years. “Thine eyes shall see the King in His beauty.” Irish Times. Second Lieutenant Fitzherbert P Synnott. A telegram was received on Tuesday by Mr Henry Synnott, Maxwell Road, Rathgar (a member of the staff of the (Irish Times), that his younger son, Second Lieutenant Fitzherbert Paget Synnott, 1/5th (Flintshire) Battalion (T.F.) Royal Welsh Fusiliers, had been killed in action in the Dardanelles. This young officer who was on the staff of the Irish Agricultural Department, was 21 years of age. He was educated at the High School, Dublin, and obtained his commission on August 26th, 1914, from the O.T.C., T.C.D. His brother is an officer in the Royal Irish Fusiliers. Panel 77 to 80. Helles Memorial
Dublin Francis Mortimer Taylor Major Royal Army Medical Corps 17/03/1919 30 Dublin (1911 Census). Dublin Killed in action Son of Sir John J. Taylor, K.C.B., and Lady Taylor, Formerly of Dublin Castle, and now of Moor Park, Herts. Weekly Irish Times, May 17, 1919. Roll of Honour. Taylor-March 17, 1919, killed in action, Major F M M.C., RANC., son of Mr J J Taylor, C.B., Assistant Under Secretary, Dublin Castle. Archangel Memorial in the Russian Federation.
Dublin Henry Walter Cecil Weldon Second Lieutenant Royal Irish Fusiliers 7th Battalion 26/04/1916 34 Killed in action Son of Sarah and the late Henry Walter Weldon, of 72, Pembroke Rd., Dublin. Native of Bantry, Co. Cork. ‘Our Heroes’. Published 1916. Lieutenant H W Cecil Weldon, Royal Irish Fusiliers, who was killed in action on April 28th last, was the second son of the late Mr Henry Walter Weldon, Bantry, County Cork, and of Mrs Weldon, Belmont Avenue, Donnybrook. He wa educated at the High School, Dublin, and subsequently entered the service of the provincial Bank. On the outbreak of the war he returned from Persia, where he held an appointment, and received his Commission in the East Surrey regiment, afterwards transferring to the Royal Irish Fusiliers. He went to the front in February, 1916, and had quite recently been promoted. Limerick Chronicle, May, 1916.Second Lieutenant H W C Weldon, R.I.Fusiliers, killed in action on the 27th ult, was a son of Mrs Weldon, Belmont Avenue, Cloughjordan. Killed in Action. II G 24 Vermelles British Cemetery in France.
Dublin John Henry Wisdom Private 2nd Dragoon Guards (Queen's Bays) 8641 26/01/1916 42 Dublin Hammersmith Killed in action Son of the late Thomas Hume Wisdom, of 17, Greenmount Road, Terenure, Dublin. Enlisted from the Ecclesiastical Commission. Panel 1. Loos Memorial in France.
Dublin Lionel George Worthington-Eyre Lieutenant Royal Field Artillery "D" Battery. 78th Bde 14/07/1917 23 Dublin (1901 Census) Killed in action Son of William Ingram Worthington-Eyre and Grace Geraldine Worthington-Eyre, of 12, Tivoli Terrace, South Kingstown, County Dublin. The Irish Times, July 14, 1922. Roll of Honour. In Memoriam. Worthington-Eyre-In memory of Lionel George Worthington-Eyre, Lieutenant (A.C). R.F.A., killed in action on the Arras front, 14th July, 1917, aged 22 years. The Weekly Irish Times. Ireland’s Roll of Honour. August 4, 1917. Lieutenant L George Worthington-Eyre, Royal Field Artillery, killed in action on July 14th, was the seond son of Mr and mrs W J Worthington-Eyre, of 12 Tivoli Terrace, East, Kingstown, County Dublin, and grandson of the late Thomas Stratford Eyre, of Eyreville, County Galway, and was 23 years of age. He was educated at Corrig School, Kingstown, and High School, Dublin. He entered Trinity College, Dublin, at 18 yars of age, and at the outbreak of war was in the Engineering School. Having been a member of the Officers Training Corps he was gazetted second lieutenant in the Royal Artillery on June 23rd, 1915. He was mentioned in despatches by Sir Douglas Haig on May 18th, 1917. His Major, writing to his mother, says;--“He met his death whilst engaged in destroying an enemy machine gun emplacement…..The Royal Irish Regiment has lost a smart and promising young officer, who, by his keen devotion to duty and tactful way, won the highest admiration of his brother officers and men in the division.” He has two brothers serving, Lieutenant W S Worthington-Eyre, R.E., in Egypt, and Robert Worthington-Eyre in the Australian Infantry. B. 9. Beaurains Road Cemetery, Beaurai

Tom - I am speechless - I haven't even had a chance to read all of this but thank you so much! I really WILL never sleep again. One word...' HOW?' ... O.K. Two words... 'Thank you!'

Is it OK for me to put all your research on the website I (and now you!) have put together? I will of course list you as a source. (so happy!!) http://hsdwarstories.blogspot.ie/

:w00t:

Don't forget to include poor ould-Second Lieutenant C J G Conerney, another one of your lads.

Tom,

did this one die? I can see a reference in the London Gazette to his relinquishing his commission in 1920.

re your files, as always, they just leave me gobsmacked! One day, you must write a book ......... ;-)

Johnny

Glad to help Clarissa, our Irish heroes must be remembered.

Dont tempt me Johnnie!. A book? I wish....Sorry about that, Cyril was a pupil at the High School and did not die, I put it in in case Clarissa was including survivors.

Limerick Chronicle, November, 1918.

Roll of Honour.

Second Lieutenant C J G Conerney.

Second Lieutenant Cyril J G Conerney, 1st Royal Dublin Fusiliers, reported wounded, is the son of the Rev P Pirrie Conerney, and nephew of the Dean of Raphoe. He was educated at St Columba’s College, Rathfarnham, and the High School, Dublin. He left the latter school towards the end of 1916 to join the Forces, and gained his commission in January, 1917. All his active service has been on the Western Front in France and Flanders. He contracted blood poisoning in the trenches in 1917, and shortly afterwards was gassed.

Cheers.

Tom.

Dont tempt me Johnnie!. A book? I wish....Sorry about that, Cyril was a pupil at the High School and did not die, I put it in in case Clarissa was including survivors.

Limerick Chronicle, November, 1918.

Roll of Honour.

Second Lieutenant C J G Conerney.

Second Lieutenant Cyril J G Conerney, 1st Royal Dublin Fusiliers, reported wounded, is the son of the Rev P Pirrie Conerney, and nephew of the Dean of Raphoe. He was educated at St Columba’s College, Rathfarnham, and the High School, Dublin. He left the latter school towards the end of 1916 to join the Forces, and gained his commission in January, 1917. All his active service has been on the Western Front in France and Flanders. He contracted blood poisoning in the trenches in 1917, and shortly afterwards was gassed.

Cheers.

Tom.

Hi Tom and Johnny - I am focusing on the memorial which lists those who died in the Great War - but I would love to include all of the High School boys who fought at some point. Conerney is proof that every story is worth collecting and telling. Thanks again, both of you, for your help.

Clarissabell

do you have any date of birth, address, years at the school or family information for "John Black from the Argyle and Sutherland Highlanders"?

Only seem to be 2 that fit this description, both died April 1917. Not enough information to tie them to the school. No family trees found.

A James Black, Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, appears in Ireland's Memorial Records. Died of wounds in Jan 1917

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/29614/BLACK,%20JAMES

The family appear to be in the census for Dublin in 1901

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Rathmines___Rathgar_East/Edenvale_Road/1292181/

Hi Johnny - I see what you mean about the Black boys - it is not as cut and dried as I thought. Here is all we have at the school on them at the moment ( but there could be more somewhere). I know the it isn't much to go on... Thanks for your help.

Regards, C.

8 J. James Black 1903 1906 08/02/1893 Border and Lothian Horse James Black: Border and Lothian Horse Name on War Memorial (Great War Plaque) St Andrew's, Inchicore 9 J. M. John Mayes Black Entered High School 1903 Left High School 1906

D.O.B.

23/08/1891

Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders John Black: Argyle and Sutherland Highlanders Name on War Memorial (Great War Plaque)

Address:

St Andrew's, Inchicore