Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Documentaries

Guest jen0dorf

Hi

Increasing age has encouraged an interest if my ancestry and I have recently discovered my Grandfather contracted Malaria during his service in the second world war.

After investigation I discovered he servied in Salonika a theatre od war about which to my shame I know nothing.

Research on the web seems to show that this is a forgotten campaign and there seems to be very little information regarding Salonika.

I checked the BBC old black and white documentary and there seems to be no mention, neither are there a mutitude of books.

Does anyone know if in the BBC "celebrations" there are plans for a program on this campaign?

many thanks

Ian

Ian

You refer to your g/f serving in Salonika in WWII. Hopefully this is a typing error, as we cannot stray outside the great war. I am not aware of any planned TV material, but others may know better, including GWF member Alan Wakefield, the author of the most recent book on the campaign there, and chairman of the Salonika Campaign Society. Apart from the discussion area on that campaign her, you might find it interesting to visit the Sociery's website http://www.salonikacampaignsociety.org.uk/

Alan regularly leads tour groups to visit the battlefields, and his book can be found through the Amazon link at the top of the page. Just enter his name in the Amazon search field.

The Salonika campaign did not develop until the 1915 events in Gallipoli were drawing to a close, so IF any documentaries are forthcoming I would expect them to be in late 2015 or later.

Keith

I think the BBC is showing a documentary with one of the Snow's (Father/son) on the Great War/ First World War starting I think this week

I saw an trailer for it a few days ago.

Bom T