Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Enlistment of Soldiers

Kevin O'Marah

Is it possible to find out who enlisted at Blaenau Ffestiniog between 1914-18 and to which units they were enlisted into. If so where would I begin??

Diolch

Kevin

Hi Kevin

Just a thought, but because youre looking for a specific geographical area have you looked for the local paper at the time? I believe many ran a local 'Roll of Honour' (Ive seen the Beds one that applies to my relative) so it could be worth tracing the paper and their microfiche records?

And local Memorials are likely to help you confirm many entries from the papers I would think?

Cheers

Steve

Hi Kevin. According to "Soldiers Died in the Great War" there were about 106 Soldiers Died who enlisted in Blaenau Ffestiniog. If you are interested I will print the details (including the regiments they served in ) and post them to you.

Of course, "Soldiers Died in the Great War" is no help in identifying soldiers who survived, but it might be a start for you.

Send me a Private Message or email and give me a postal address if you'd like a printout.

Tom

Tom, many thanks, I've allready done a fair bit using Soldiers Died in our local forum here at Blaenau i.e www stiniog.com (Hogiau Stiniog)well worth a short visit but the forum hasn't really kicked off, so I wanted to widen the research and try and get a bit more people here interested in the forum.

I think that Steves local "Roll of Honour", would possibly be a more fruitfull avenue? I'm heading up state New York next week, Fort Ticonderoga, Saratoga. Bloody Pond road etc. Will let you know if I get any joy. Many thanks to you both for your help.

Diolch

Kevin

• 2 years later...