Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

any idea on unit or place

robdickers

I have this picture of my maternal grandfather (front second right), William Richard Hicks. Bn1891. Heston Middx.Lived, Isleworth Middx

but no idea of unit or place.

can find no sevice records etc for him.

first man rear on left looks like a gunner (left side lanyard) & its obviously some sort of hospital, covalescent home etc.

Any ideas?

Rob

12075032145_6068c6b5d9_c.jpg

As they are in uniform, a hospital can be ruled out. Not sure about clothing in convalescent home. Do you know if your grandfather was wounded?

Possibly the back garden of one of the cafes etc in Poperinghe, such as Talbot House? There appear to be civilians there too, at the table nearer the hut.

Ron

The man third left has his arm in a sling. I can see no lanyard on any man. It's a blemish on right shoulder of first man from left. No badges evident but the caps look a bit Guards to me

It might be a good idea to post the photo in the Paraphernalia sub forum 'Uniforms and cap badges' there are are some members who are very good at investigating uniforms, also if you could create some close up images of caps and uniforms that always helps.

It might be a good idea to post the photo in the Paraphernalia sub forum 'Uniforms and cap badges' there are are some members who are very good at investigating uniforms, also if you could create some close up images of caps and uniforms that always helps.

Done, thanks for the advice. :thumbsup:

Rob