Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Some of mine......

trenchtrotter

I will post a few of my favourites I have taken over the years (well since 2007) when I got my first (still using) digi camera, a Fuji S5600. Still going good but want a new one now.

So No 1, can you guess where / know where and can you identify the features shown?

TT

post-15846-0-28042800-1390318293_thumb.j

TT

Is it Lochnagar from an unusual angle? I'm not confident because of the prominent stand of trees; nice moody sky though. I fear that you may have to drop in the odd cryptic clue because it would be good to see some of your other shots. I'm rubbish with battlefield photos since I stopped using a camera with a viewfinder as opposed to a screen.

Pete.

P.S. Liked the post about your trip over in March; v envious.

Pete,

Not Lochnagar I'm afraid. The fighting here was in September onwards.

TT

TT

When I said "the odd cryptic clue" I meant it in it's broadest sense as in "really big obvious clue that even the photographically challenged can't fail to get". I've just been looking at the map and September onwards covers at least St Pierre Divion on the Ancre all the way round to Combles. That said I've seen those trees somewhere.........

Pete.

OK at my back is Flers, the trees are on the track known as Turks Road which connects with the Le Sars - Guedecourt Road. Goose Alley bisects it just past the trees. In the distance the trees around Eaucourt L'Abbaye can be seen. If one continued along Turks Avenue crossed the road and into the fields one would be on a maze of trenches known as the Circus and the Maze. The Aussies were here in the winter of 1916.

In the middle foreground (shallow valley) is a track known a North Road, follow it to the right and one would arrive at Factory Corner.

In the field in the foreground after the war a huge amounts of explosives were collected and detonated.

Regards

TT

A few more of my better pictures...

post-15846-0-12146700-1390489566_thumb.j

post-15846-0-19883800-1390489641_thumb.j

post-15846-0-53599300-1390489744_thumb.j

picture no 1 i think is gommecourt - looking across to Rossignol wood in the middle

picture 2 i think is guillemont cemetery from the trones wood side, i could be very wrong on both!

cullbaggie spot on well done.

TT

TT

Is number three Pozieres?

Yes yes! Pozieres it is.

TT

Centurion

I love number one and look forward to finding out where it was taken from because I haven't got a clue, same for number two. Number three is now out of date and the subject of arboreal argument and copse controversy elsewhere on the forum and I've never been able to find number four. Thanks for posting.

Pete.

Centurion

I love number one and look forward to finding out where it was taken from because I haven't got a clue, same for number two. Number three is now out of date and the subject of arboreal argument and copse controversy elsewhere on the forum and I've never been able to find number four. Thanks for posting.

Pete.

No 3 was taken about a week before the trees came down. No 2 Inside Doulens Town Hall in the hall where the agreement of Foch taking command was signed

And here is one of the signers

post-9885-0-98075900-1390833130_thumb.jp

Is no1 looking over the top of Curlu to Trafford Park in the Somme Marshes and Suzanne beyond?

Tim

Quite right

• 2 weeks later...

It is south of the Bois de Aquenne on the right if you were traveling from Villers Bretonneux to Cachy. The sign was instigated (I think) by the late Trevor Pidgeon

Like Bob, I have a feeling that Trevor had something to do with it. I doubt he did the wording, however, unless the American armor came in at the end to rescue the British armour.

Peter