Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt J.H. Waddington RAF-circumstances of death?

Mark Hone

A pupil has brought in a copy of the Manchester 'Evening Chronicle' dated 30th October 1918. His family apparently discovered the paper when they moved into their house, which had previously been owned by an elderly gentleman, now deceased. The content is, as always , fascinating. It is impossible to say why that particular newspaper had been retained-no articles have been ringed in pen or the like. One possibility is that there is a very brief report and photograph recording the death of Lieutenant J.H. Waddington RAF, from Levenshulme. He is buried at Roisel Communal Cemetery Extension but apart from giving his date of death (22nd October 1918) and the fact that he was a member of 80 Squadron, the CWGC register entry provides no additional details. I wonder if any of our aerial experts might know something about the circumstances of this officer's death. Thanks, as always.

Mark,

Long shot, but possible brother in 17th Bttn M/Chr Regment?

CQMS Henry Waddington 9348

cqms-h-waddington-a-coy-17th-bttn-manche

CQMS Waddington unconfirmed from II Pln.

Henry Waddington’s MIC indicates his arrival in France in November 1915 and rank of RSM with the Manchester Regiment. RSM Waddington was commissioned 2nd Lt. in August 1916, indicating he had probably been RSM with another Battalion beforehand. His role of 2nd Lt. may also have been elsewhere. The 1918 Absent Voters List identifies a Henry Waddington 901378 in the the Royal Field Artillery, living at 18 Lawrence Street, Gorton. This may have been the same man, although CQMS Waddington’s Manchester Regiment MIC identifies his 1921 address as 115 Harley Street, Higher Openshaw. The two addresses are close by.

Is Levenshulme covered by one of the AVLs?

Tim

Mark

2Lt J H Waddington of No 80 Sqn RAF was killed in a flying accident on 22 October 1918 while flying Sopwith Camel F6412. He took off from Bouvincourt aerodrome at 15:20, but collided with Camel H750, flown by 2Lt G P McCaig (who was unhurt) near Villers-Outreaux.

I hope this is useful.

Gareth

Mark,

There are 2 service records for Lt. Waddington at the National Archives that may be useful--an officer's record and an O.R.:

AIR 76/523/37 Jack Hedley Waddington 6 February 1896

AIR 79/132/10524 Jack Hedley Waddington

The 1911 Census lists Jack Hedley Waddington as a Lancashire resident, but I cannot access the city because I am not an Ancestry member.

The 1918 Probate Calendar confirms the date of death you listed and gives his residence at enlistment as Manchester.

Regards,

Trelawney

• 1 month later...
Guest Dennis37

I am researching names of Burnage dead during WW1 for a booklet for Burnage Heritage and can add a little to your info. Here is what I have. I shall be checking shortly at Nat Archive.

jack hedley waddington 22 oct 1918

John H was born at Clifton, Lancs in 6 Feb1896 the only surviving son of Charles Stanley a commercial traveller and Fanny nee ? and along with their two young children and two elderly boarders they were living in 1901 at 22 Springfield Rd, Blackpool. By 1911 they had moved to 16 Burnage Hall Road, Burnage, Manchester with their four surviving children, Jack Hedley 15, Phyllis Gifford 13, Edna Laura 6, and Mary 1.

Jack worked at as a trade apprentice with British Westinghouse 1911-5 CHECK and appears on t Metro-Vics war memorial.

He received a commission in the RAF as 2nd Lt and served with 80th Sqd.

He was killed in an accident whilst flying Sopwith Camel F1 F6412 from Bouvincourt aerodrome on 22 Oct 1918 and is remembered with honour in Roisel Communal cemetery extension and on the St Margaret’s memorial.

Unfortunately no. The boy who brought it in didn't know. I might be able to find out from the parents.